all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Wrist health

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

westsider19

Level 3 Valued Member
I am curious what methods people have used to fix wrist cracking and mild pain from all varieties of pushups.

Specifically - is it possible to cure cracking?

Is the protocol the same as working on wrist mobility or flexibility?

At this point the pain is just tightness and the cracking is mild. But I want to get ahead of it and cannot accept to just live with it or that it will be permanent.

I am curious what methods people have used to fix wrist cracking and mild pain from all varieties of pushups.

At this point the pain is just tightness and the cracking is mild. But I want to get ahead of it and cannot accept to just live with it or that it will be permanent.

Can’t relate to push ups, but run into troubles with my wrists from get-ups. This was one of the first google links I found googling the topic and it proven to be useful:

Also, just understanding the complexity of wrist anatomy is useful too, this one is really helpful graphically:

Can’t relate to push ups, but run into troubles with my wrists from get-ups. This was one of the first google links I found googling the topic and it proven to be useful:

Also, just understanding the complexity of wrist anatomy is useful too, this one is really helpful graphically:

Thank you Molson.

On a related note, I did some TGUs, cleans, high pulls, and snatches today with a borrowed 35lb KB. I'm near the end of my first week with this stuff.

In terms of difficulty I would have thought cleans/high pulls/snatches would be difficulty-ranked in the listed order. For me personally, that is not the case. Snatches are easier than cleans; they're also easier than high pulls.

Cleans I have to figure out how much to supinate on the way up and when to re-pronate. But the main issue for cleans/snatches is how to not bang the wrist. It's easier to not bang it on snatches. I've practiced the whole "come under" cue but I have yet to make legit progress in smooth and soft efficiency and landing.

Finally, with regards to my wrists, I find high pulls hurt my bottom (volar) wrist on the way down. It's like a tightness that comes into play towards the bottom. Does that tend to go away with practice, or does it sound like an arc issue?

A couple vids I like that could help you out. The wrist section of the Duffin vid begins at 4;20, good shoulder and elbow work prior to that.
I would also recommend Steve Cotter's tea cup mobility series.

Indian clubs, 3 x a week.

@westsider19

In addition to the previous recommendations, I would consider focusing on your neck. You may be compensating in some way for weakness in and around the neck flexors / extensors and the symptom is manifesting itself at your wrists. One of my go to warmups is holding a 16kg behind my back with both hands; break the handle, squeeze the armpits, and cramp the glutes; creating tension downstream will free up your neck so you can work on extension, flexion and rotation. Spend around 5 minutes per day on this, don't over do it.

All the best.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom