all posts post new thread

Old Forum wrist holding me back in ROP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tristan Phillips

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey guys.  I've been having an issue lately with my wrist.  Until recently the heaviest bell that I had was a 28 kg.  I just recently bought all of the sizes that I didn't have up to the beast.  So I got back to the ROP.  I got my 5 ladders of 5 rungs with the 28 kg so I moved up to the 32 kg. I worked up to 5 ladders with 3 rungs so I then started going for 4 rungs. Now when I get to the 3rd ladder my wrist begins to hurt when I hike the bell back and it gets progressively worse as I continue.  I feel it in both wrists, but the left one definitely begins to hurt sooner and worse then the right .  I got tendonitis in that wrist years ago training for the RKC.  When I push on that little nobby thing on the outside of my left wrist it moves, while the one on the right does not. I just dropped down to the 28 kg again and after my 3rd ladder of 5 rungs it began to happen again even though it wasn't a problem a few months ago.  I finished out the last two ladders only going to 4 rungs.  What's driving me nuts is my shoulders can handle way more but my wrist is holding me back.

I'm going to try focusing on my grip via arm hangs, towel hangs and CoC grippers.  I brought down the weight to the 28 kg much to my dismay.  Outside of these changes does anyone have any advice for me?  I finally have bells heavy enough to really challenge me and I feel like I'm stuck behind a cage looking at them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hey, Tristan, you might try to find a chiro that is good with extremities.  Just a thought.

I was going to one when it first happened.  It really didn't seem to help.  He got me out of pain but that little knobby thing has moved since.  I haven't had an issue for the past 3 or 4 years, but I haven't had really heavy kb's until recently so I wasn't really testing my grip outside of barbell dl's and pullups. I think it's the combination of the extra weight on my wrist while in the rack and during the press, then going to the hike pass and  the weight pulling my hand away from my wrist, if that makes sense.

Tristan, you definitely need to see a doc.

A word of advice.  Find medical practitioners who are power athletes or lifters and who can not only fix you—but also give you solid advice on how to work around your problem.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom