all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Wrist pain and wrist guard

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have wrist issues due to years of boxing, and need to wear wrist support or tape on my right wrist for any sports I do. And after starting S&S I quickly found out that the Bell resting on my wrist during Get Ups was really affecting my bad wrist (which will not get better do to cartilage damage, which was told I would have to live with)

However after a little research there are Kettlebells made with a little more length in the handle, so the Bell rests on the forearm rather then the wrist. This is a lot more comfortable for me.

I found mine 20, 24 and 32kg on eBay for a really great price.

Competition Russian Kettlebell Sets

@Cr3do Thanks for mentioning this .I will try it out when I have access to such competition bells before I order them, to make sure that they indeed are easy on my wrists. As of now the wrist guard I ordered via Amazon works. I haven't missed a TGU because of the specific muscle pinch issue I was talking about. My left wrist has a pain now, not the muscle pain..but more of a tendon/ligament pain (looks like it, i am not an expert) so I am taking it easy and giving it some rest. Right wrist is okay. I hope this goes away in a day or two.

There are also variations in handle-to-bell distance among the various manufacturers. My wife, e.g., cannot use the 12 kg bells we bought that are like all our others - distance to bell is too small which causes the bell body to learn on a body on her wrist. We bought another brand, Ader, and those 12 kg work fine for her because the distance is longer.

-S-

I had not been having any pain from heavier kettlebells (24, 28, 32) but was surprised this past week when I went back to using lighter ones for get-ups (12, 16, 20) -- they hurt my forearms! I guess it puts pressure on a different spot.

Do whatever you have to to keep the wrist straight, throughout... it can really put some unhealth strain on it if you don't.

@Anna C As for the pain on my left wrist, now when I flex my forearms I feel it along my forearm..some where inside..along a line. I am giving it rest and hoping it goes away. I will try to do that; to try to keep the wrist straight as much during TGU.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom