all posts post new thread

Old Forum Wrist pushups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

postnspread

Level 2 Valued Member
I mean the gymnasts' version. Become a bit of an obsession for me. I don't need to to be able do them that I'm aware of, just badly want to. I'm stuck exactly where I was a couple of years ago. I can only perform them from a kneeling cat-&-camel position. I usually do them about 2-3 months or so at a stretch, about 2- 3/week 12x2-3, give up at the utter lack of progress, and return to them after a few months hoping something might have changed! By "progress" I mean being able to gradually move the knees back towards pushup position. I've experimented with a few rep, frequency, volume schemes to little avail. What can one do to improve at a reasonable rate, say nailing the full movement over a 2-3 year period? Assistance exercises and which ones? I hope the time-frame isn't overambitious? Or does one necessarily has to begin very young?

It can be difficult to make big changes in a movement and make progress.

Try doing them in the normal pushup position, but one hand on the wrist and the other in another position. Switch back and forth. I never trained them and I did a few this way easily just now (I did not want to do too much experimenting as I am going to church soon). I think progress that way would be easier and more likely.

I would say you would need to be able to do other variations without trouble, such as regular pushups and pushups on your fists at least before starting these.

When I learned to do these, I started against a wall. It gave me a way to gauge the pressure I put on the wrists until I could handle doing them on the floor.

@Herr: I can do as many fist- and back-of-hand pushups as the regular ones. Btw, I have a fairly regular diet of kb BU stuff (cleans, presses). I don't know if frequency is the key. Sommer's pupils, all of whom are very junior citizens, seem to do them daily.

@Levi: I have no difficulty doing them off walls. So how does one progress towards the full pushup position? Are you implying that one could for example start by doing them off a desk and keep lowering the height?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom