all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Wrists, forearms, & grip

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mvikred

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
So I've been having a mild pain in my wrists and forearms. I am pretty sure that it is because of overtraining. So I've backed off. Doing consecutive days of KB Strong with double 28s was not too kind on my wrists. But it got me thinking, how I could improve my grip strength and endurance. Do any of you do any accessory work to improve this?

I like to make sure I'm hitting the extensors when I use my grip a lot. I most use ironmind bands using the gtg protocol.

Extensor work absolutely helps with overall grip strength and hand health. A lot of people have said that putting your hand in a bucket of rice and working through hand exercises, including extension, is helpful. There's also extension bands you can buy, personally I like the Captains of Crush version, pretty cheap and very effective.

I ran Strong Short Course with double 28s last month and would notice the same thing.

Extensor exercises worked alright, but cleaning up my form in the double clean with a coach was the real turning point.

For grip strength, I’m not sure if you have access to a barbell and plates, but some longer sets of deadlift or heavy double Swings (one kettlebell in each hand) will really work your grip. I start to notice it with double swinging a pair of 36kg bells, like the bells are trying to pull my grip open.

I just did a 2 hour gig playing guitar two days ago and my extensors started cramping near the end. So this same question was on my mind. I want to do another gig like that but I want to have confidence the cramps won't come back.

The extensor bands may just be the answer. I like the idea of GTG or before/after practice. Heck, I might even do A-A format.

As a side note I geared my KB training specifically to be able to do the 2 hours standing up with a heavy solid body guitar and that went without a hitch. I guess that's the rock and roll carry.

I would always train grip regardless. I’ve never had any wrist or forearm issues and I don’t know if that’s slavish adherence to grip work. I have the iron mind extensor bands but I’ve rarely used them. CoC grippers too but the real game changer has been the climbing implements you can hang from a chin up bar or even put on a kb handle. Amazon sells cylinders, balls, finger holds and pinch hubs etc. even bottom up cleans are an utter bear.

Extensor exercises worked alright, but cleaning up my form in the double clean with a coach was the real turning point.
was it anything specific in your technique. I believe my technique is alright, but one never knows how one picks up wrong things without realising. I will review my technique once again, but I feel fairly comfortable saying that it might not be a problem. However, overtraining can definitely be one. I have been doing KB strong phase 1 back to back . the first 10 or so days the volume is quite less, but it picks up quite quickly after that, especially when sets of 3 start and sets of 2 is stabilised at 10. I did 17 days back to back before I decided to take a break, so that's a lot of volume without rest, using my 5RM. I was feeling alright, until I wasn't. Someone did mention that it can be a bit hard on the body, but of course I had to experience it myself :D

I've been using similar kind of grippers to work but nothing consistently. However, I do make sure that I am doing farmers carry walks and on the spot marches regularly, with a reasonably heavy weight that will challenge my grip. I wonder if that is also a good way to develop grip strength.

I made some simple tools to train the grip this past summer. A few pinch blocks and pull-up dowels. I always find that it's hard to balance out the extensors though. Rubber bands never seem to do the trick for me. I have a FlexBar but it also doesn't seem enough. I mostly use a wrist roller (dowel with rope from which I hang weight plates) for my extensors.

IMG_0248.JPG

So I've been having a mild pain in my wrists and forearms. I am pretty sure that it is because of overtraining. So I've backed off. Doing consecutive days of KB Strong with double 28s was not too kind on my wrists. But it got me thinking, how I could improve my grip strength and endurance. Do any of you do any accessory work to improve this?
There are tons of posts on the forum about grip strength, just do a search.
But… bear in mind grip strength is multi-faceted and comes in many forms, and there is little crossover.
Crushing
Pinch
Open-hand
Crimp

Some things I do to grip train are:
Fingerboard Hangs
RTDL
Sledgehammer Finger Walks
COC Grippers

Things I do to supplement my grip training are:
Finger Extensor bands
Baoding Balls
Rice Bucket
Wrist Pronators

was it anything specific in your technique. I believe my technique is alright, but one never knows how one picks up wrong things without realising. I will review my technique once again, but I feel fairly comfortable saying that it might not be a problem. However, overtraining can definitely be one. I have been doing KB strong phase 1 back to back . the first 10 or so days the volume is quite less, but it picks up quite quickly after that, especially when sets of 3 start and sets of 2 is stabilised at 10. I did 17 days back to back before I decided to take a break, so that's a lot of volume without rest, using my 5RM. I was feeling alright, until I wasn't. Someone did mention that it can be a bit hard on the body, but of course I had to experience it myself :D
In my case it was not enough mid pull and improper timing of the spear through. It caused the bell to get away from a vertical path and I had to overcompensate by pulling it harder.

But yeah, lol. Training cleans every day would be rough on the body. Phase 2 in short course got rough the last week with all the 5/6 rep sets. And that was with 3/week pacing. I wouldn’t want to do it every day.

I did play around with running Phase 2 with 24s while running 28s in Phase 1 just split Phase 2 around the Phase 1 workout. That gave me really good results as the volume and intensity was just right (I also hadn’t added in Barbell training and BJJ yet, which did affect recovery)

In my case it was not enough mid pull and improper timing of the spear through. It caused the bell to get away from a vertical path and I had to overcompensate by pulling it harder.

But yeah, lol. Training cleans every day would be rough on the body. Phase 2 in short course got rough the last week with all the 5/6 rep sets. And that was with 3/week pacing. I wouldn’t want to do it every day.

I did play around with running Phase 2 with 24s while running 28s in Phase 1 just split Phase 2 around the Phase 1 workout. That gave me really good results as the volume and intensity was just right (I also hadn’t added in Barbell training and BJJ yet, which did affect recovery)
Thats a good idea. Running 24s in between. With the experience I'm having for phase 1, I decided that I will do the slow and steady version of phase 2. No way my body can handle that volume that quickly at that weight .. lol.

Reg. technique, I think I am alright. I know that because my cleans don't inflict any pain on my wrists. But when I press that's when I feel it and that's probably because I crush grip it and then my forearm and wrist is just screaming. Also I haven't really given my wrists a break for like 20 days. Every day is a RPE 8-9 day. So now I am easing off. Will finish the rest of phase 1 after a week. Started Swing Hard 1.0 with the 32kg. Time to improve that power endurance !!!

We're not all robots like like Geoff who can sustain any level of punishment and bounce back fresh for the next session. I'm not criticizing his program but you have to understand Geoff developed that program from a base of strength & conditioning that was developed over years of hard training. It's not really a beginners program for people who haven't done the hard yards to build a base of strength.
Your forearm & wrist issues could be derived from a simple technical error too, maybe post a vid so someone can check your form. When the load (or heart rate) gets a bit high there's a natural tendency to start rolling the wrists into hyper extension which causes all sorts of problems. I've seen people who can clean & press over 100kg on a barbell without any problems start to roll their wrists with a pair of 24 bells when their heart rate gets up.

I made some simple tools to train the grip this past summer. A few pinch blocks and pull-up dowels. I always find that it's hard to balance out the extensors though. Rubber bands never seem to do the trick for me. I have a FlexBar but it also doesn't seem enough. I mostly use a wrist roller (dowel with rope from which I hang weight plates) for my extensors.

View attachment 15505
Outstanding!!!

We're not all robots like like Geoff who can sustain any level of punishment and bounce back fresh for the next session. I'm not criticizing his program but you have to understand Geoff developed that program from a base of strength & conditioning that was developed over years of hard training. It's not really a beginners program for people who haven't done the hard yards to build a base of strength.
Your forearm & wrist issues could be derived from a simple technical error too, maybe post a vid so someone can check your form. When the load (or heart rate) gets a bit high there's a natural tendency to start rolling the wrists into hyper extension which causes all sorts of problems. I've seen people who can clean & press over 100kg on a barbell without any problems start to roll their wrists with a pair of 24 bells when their heart rate gets up.
Makes sense. I am traveling and taking some time off from the 28s. So when I get back next week, I can make a video of myself and evaluate the same. Maybe the later sets to see how my technique changes under fatigue.

Hi,

Here is one nice video of strong guys testing out grip strength equipment:

1) You say you have pain in your wrists and forearms. Where exactly is it. Is it on the upper side of the forearm (extensor) or is it on the inside ? Do you think it is muscular, and from training your grip muscles too often ? Or do you think it is because heavy kettlebells have been resting and/or landing on your forearms with too much force ?

2) There are a lot of interesting books on amazon about grip strength training, and I am sure you can find a lot of interesting stuff on YouTube too. Some sort of balance between flexion and extension would be positive for your hand health I would guess. I personally do not think that adding even more of the same type of grip strength training right now would do you any good. I think deadlifting, hanging from a pull up bar or captain of crushes would be more of the same, and would not help you in developing balance.

3) As you yourself admit, you might have been rushing things and have not rested suffiently. That might be what is causing your problems. Remember the point is not how strong you will be in two months, but how strong you will be in five years. Patience is very important.

Wrists are usually fixable with a change in technique (read: an improvement in technique).

-S-

I go lobstering and there is a ton of repetitive grip work. And certain times of year when we’re catching a lot my hand with go numb from overuse. I don’t remember where I saw this exercise but I do finger extensions against a wall (timed holds)to balance things out. And it helps a lot when I remember to do them.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom