all posts post new thread

Bodyweight WTH Effect Bodyweight Edition

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marc

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello friends of strength,

last time I used my gymnastic rings was 10 month ago.
Instead I mainly focued on KB Presses and Complexes.
Yesterday however, I felt the urge to try Muscle Upd on my variety day.
Did 5x2 relativeley easily which pleased me a lot. Think I will jeep them at low volume once per week on a variety day. Pretty fun move.

@Marc, nice. What sort of pressing with what weight(s) have you been doing? Good false grip you have going there.

-S-

I really like this exercise. It is amazing how the universal priciples of strength carry over to each other!

Even thought my main programme is press focused with a lot of volume I will keep it in for now 1x/week @ low volume (10-15 reps total) and long rests (3-5 mins).

Filmed the last set again and would really appreciate any comments on tecnique/form.

Hello,

@Marc
You seem to already have a good technique. So first thing first, congrats !

I am not a gymnast but I also practice the MU almost daily, so.what I will say may be considered with a pinch of salt.

If this is possible, try not to flare your elbows sideways both on the way up and down. Try to maintain them parallel from each other and quite close to your rib cage. This will engage more your lats, and also will help you to pack your shoulders even more strongly (what you already do quite well actually).

You can also engage more the abs. That way you can balance a bit less to get a smoother move, which dors not involve momentum.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Merci beaucuop @pet' I can see what you mean now and will make an concious effort to really drag the arm along the ribcage.
Do you think keeping the move at ~10 toal reps 1x/week is enough to progress slowly?
Though about progressing in the following manner (not rushing at all) 5x2 --> 4x3 --> 3x4 --> 2x5.

Hello,

@Marc
Yes I think it can be enough, though I would do about 15 or 20 repetitions a week. 20 repetitions per week would be 2 reps a day, with 2 * 1r, with a good - let's say full - recovery between the 2 repetitions.

The 'idea' behind this programming firstly is building the CNS by learning a perfect form. By doing so, you build strength without strain, pain or injury risk. This is a bit like the "Deadlift daily dose" plan or even the GU part of S&S. Somewhere, Pavel said that just a few reps a day done that way 2 or 3 * 1 rep a day is a more efficient strategy that the same volume done in only 2 days for instance.

I used 2 * 1 rep frame to build my MU for instance, with a good result.

Slowly ramping up to 5* 2r as you mentionned seems quite wise, efficient and sustainable to me to build strength and skill ! IMHO, you are on the perfect track ! :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' one more think if you don't mind:
I did 4x3 yesterday and that is good enough for me right now since the volume on my main programme is really creeping up (How to Press a 40kg Kettlebell).

Just to maintain/polish the move would 4x3 once a week be enough?

Hello @Marc ,

If polishing the move and maintaining it are the goals, then I would split up the training with some kind of daily dose.

For instance, if you train five days a week, I would do something like 5 reps per side a day. Basically, I would copy the TGU schedule of S&S. This volume is plenty to work on full tension and technical refinement, but plenty for recovery as well.

I followed something very similar a while ago with good results. I even make the press stronger (from 28=1RM to 28=3RM).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom