all posts post new thread

Kettlebell WTH Effect, more or less

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JCORN

Level 4 Valued Member
Wanted to share my WTH moment from last week. I started out well training for a 50 mile MTB race earlier in the spring, but the last 5 weeks before the race really couldn't ride as much or long as needed due to vacation/family/work/life. I was able to keep up on my KBs (currently doing ROP) and threw in additional swings using the talk test for some poor man's A+A training. Long story short, I did the race 5 days ago, finished 50.2 miles, 6100', in 6h13m. Of course no where near the fastest people (3h30m), but that was never my goal. The best part is that I'm not even sore. My longest training ride was only 16 miles! The last time I did something like this was before KBs and I couldn't walk right for a week. This time I really had to force my self to take 2 days off of training to recover I felt so great!

Thanks for the amazing forum, I wish I had found it sooner!

As a mountainbiker myself I know exactly what you mean. I do strength training nearly my whole life, but never before had so much positive carry over to my riding since working with kettlebells.

Also a nice little WTH from my side:
Did a obstacle run last saturday over around 16km without any training for it. Also not the best time, but cleared all obstacles except one (skilled climbing on wobbly grips). Also survived the distance with not to much fatigue (not being a runner myself; did only two lazy 5k runs in the beginning of the year). The next day my achilles tendon on the right side was a little bit sore, but I was able to go on a fun ride the next day.

Nice side effect for training on monday after the run:
My heartrate recovered much quicker between the sets and I felt much fresher than I used to afterwards. Due to this effects I have the intention to do more long slow distance runs in the future (since riding my bike is without real carryover to my KB game).

Great news!

Due to personal/family issues, no racing for me this year. Can't even get to proper trails to ride. So I'm working on long neglected strength. Can't wait to see it pay off. Last year, new to KB and Easy Strength, I made some useful gains in strength that definitely paid off on the trail

What race did you do? My usual summer goal event is the Tahoe Trail 100k.

Great news!

Due to personal/family issues, no racing for me this year. Can't even get to proper trails to ride. So I'm working on long neglected strength. Can't wait to see it pay off. Last year, new to KB and Easy Strength, I made some useful gains in strength that definitely paid off on the trail

What race did you do? My usual summer goal event is the Tahoe Trail 100k.

I did a race called the Philipsburg 46 in Montana. It was actually 50.2 miles. That's about the max I ever want to do again (if I ever want to do it again).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom