all posts post new thread

Kettlebell WTH effect - Navy PT test

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jyork

Level 1 Valued Member
OK - first, the test is not challenging. It is 2 minutes of curl-ups, 2 minutes of push-ups, and 1.5 mile run. In the past 6 months, I have done zero curl-ups or push-ups and have run one easy 5K fun run. My training has been RoP with a 20kg, and am now doing Brett Jones' SFG1 prep (doing the Philly cert in September). I did 90 curl-ups and 65 push-ups...both in about 1:30. Those exceed maximums for my age (50 years old). I ran the 1.5 miles in 11:34 without much effort. I'll take it...especially since I didn't feel like "training" for it because it interferes with my KB training.

Well done
Have fun in Sept.

@Boosh32 BMI isn't really a tool for calculating body fat (although it may give a vague idea in the sedantry population). According to BMI Arnie in his prime would be morbidly obese due to his weight, and almost all contact sport athletes would be obese. Body fat is much harder to calculate accuratly and usually involves calipers or some exciting high tech machinery to give an accurate result.

@jyork very impressive!

I'll take it...especially since I didn't feel like "training" for it because it interferes with my KB training.

Speaking as a CFL who has salvaged more than a just few military careers with KBs; you have a commendable attitude, sir.

Thanks all. 23.5% BF - yeeeeesssh, so over 1 in every 5 pounds of my massive frame is fat???? Crap. Oh well, life goes on, back to the bells. It's funny, I got into KBs a few years ago get stronger for mountain biking, which has certainly helped, and now it has grown into an obsession. Not a bad obsession to have...

@iyork: You have a BMI of 23. That is not equal to body fat. If you want to lose body fat look at what you eat. Training helps but bodyweight is defined in the kitchen.

@DavThew: You are using extreme examples to attack the value of bmi. Almost nobody here will have so much muscle mass that it drives the bmi up. Whether having so much muscle mass is a healthy thing is also questionable. For normal people a high bmi goes hand in hand with too much fat.

@Marlon Leon - yes I was being a bit extreme in my examples there.

I think from a health point of view BMI is unhelpful as it makes people concentrate on their scale weight far more than their actual body composition.

I agree for the general population BMI is probably a useful if crude tool, however most rugby players I know (even the pretty boy fullbacks, who would hate not to be able to show off a six-pack) end up being overweight according to their BMI.

@Marlon Leon - yes I was being a bit extreme in my examples there.

I think from a health point of view BMI is unhelpful as it makes people concentrate on their scale weight far more than their actual body composition.

I agree for the general population BMI is probably a useful if crude tool, however most rugby players I know (even the pretty boy fullbacks, who would hate not to be able to show off a six-pack) end up being overweight according to their BMI.

The bmi was originally developed to describe populations not individuals. And for that purpose it works well. As you say it is a crude tool that can hint to some issues. By no means it should be the only indicator.
For myself I find waist circumference to be the most useful measurement. Easy to measure. Clear correlation of thin waist line to health.

Reactions: Maq
@Boosh32 BMI isn't really a tool for calculating body fat (although it may give a vague idea in the sedantry population). According to BMI Arnie in his prime would be morbidly obese due to his weight, and almost all contact sport athletes would be obese. Body fat is much harder to calculate accurately and usually involves calipers or some exciting high tech machinery to give an accurate result.

The US Army got the BMI train around the early 1980's and used neck, waist, and calipers. By the mid 1980's they went to height/weight tables as they were easier to use. Neither method is accurate compared to the high tech methods. The Army used these results to kick soldiers out of the Army regardless of their physical fitness test results. I saw a Sargent who was a body builder kicked out because his neck/waist ratio was wrong. He easily achieved max scores on the his physical fitness tests.

It is really down to the path you wish to take. Being strong or to have a particular BMI (healthy) number. Neither path is wrong, just different. (Quote from this forum.)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom