all posts post new thread

Old Forum WTH Effect on PM

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kyrinov

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey Folks,

Just wanted to post my own little WTH effect.  I've been on the PM more or less consistently for about five months or so, despite breaks from injuries and my ill-fated foray into the ROP before realizing my elbows were already worn out enough from MA practice.

I got into this strength/kettlebell stuff in preparation for the demands of my paramedic training program.  We've got a battery of physical tests that seem to be every gosh danged physical test a kinesiology student could dream of.  We have to run 1.5 miles, beep test, back extension, obstacle course, deadlift, bench press, pushups, crunches, pullups, flex test etc. etc.  My little WTH hell moment came as a result of the distance running we've been doing at the beginning.  I feel about the same way about distance running that most of you do (I bleeping hate it) and have the justification of a partially metallic heel from a bad fracture some years ago.  So we start running and the first time I'm thinking "just don't hurt yourself or gas out" and run comfortably in my new five fingers, only to find that I"m near the front of the pack and feeling good.  Then we did it again today and I just took the brake off and let my body go as fast as it wanted to.  No real effort, just focused on form and breathing and let my body adjust speed as it saw fit.  Then something crazy happened, I ended up leading the pack.  And our program, like the fire program, attracts a lot of athletes.  I was up there with the other three guys leading the way, who were surprised and started accelerating when I passed them.  In the end, they picked up their pace or I slacked on mine and they ended up about fifteen or twenty yards ahead but for me it was huge.  I NEVER run.  I avoid it at all costs.  I have an injury to justify it.  These guys were a competitive triathlete and a marathoner.  Maybe they weren't going all out but to be able to go from NO running to even coming CLOSE to these guys was a testament to the quality of the training I'd been doing.  Kettlebell rocks.  Thanks Pavel.

I love it when I hear these stories.  the PM is just a fantastic routine, it's as effective as it is simple.  two exercises, minimal time commitment and chock full of great benefits.  even on days when you say to yourself, "I have no time at all to train today ... well, I guess I could fit in 5 minutes of getups"  BOOM! ... and your done.  that's dynamite.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom