all posts post new thread

Kettlebell wth effect on pull-ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

thegoldengod

Level 5 Valued Member
I’ve been practicing with the 24kg since March of this year. Mostly S&S and pressing/snatching on variety days a la Neupert.

Today was my first time doing pull-ups since, sns was able to hit 11 strict unbroken. Previously could only do 8.

I think my mental fortitude has improved, and controlling the descent gave me more confidence.

I learned this from pulling down the bell in the press instead of letting it drop.

Anyone else see good pull-up results w/o practice?

Haven't done pull-up's in a couple of months but was challenged by my two interns. Could do 1 pull up with an 48, and 20 strict.

Edit: And won the challenge (H)

I love kettlebell training (L)

Pull-ups improved doing ROP but I was doing pull-ups as part of the program. I think the total was greater than the sum of the parts in my case.

I recently installed a rogue jammer pull up bar in my walk in closet. Now, anytime I go in there for something I just do 3-6 pull ups depending on, time of day, how I am feeling, etc... So I see it sort of like applying the GTG theory to pull ups. I went from being able to do 3 strict dead hangs at the beginning of September to 11 as of today. I keep my number right around half my max so for now most of my sets are for 5 reps. When I can hit twelve my sets will go to 6 and so on. Seems to be working out great!!

i don't see any result at pull up number, but i can nearly chin up with one arm on both arm :D

I recently installed a rogue jammer pull up bar in my walk in closet. Now, anytime I go in there for something I just do 3-6 pull ups depending on, time of day, how I am feeling, etc... So I see it sort of like applying the GTG theory to pull ups. I went from being able to do 3 strict dead hangs at the beginning of September to 11 as of today. I keep my number right around half my max so for now most of my sets are for 5 reps. When I can hit twelve my sets will go to 6 and so on. Seems to be working out great!!
Excellent! GTG works great for me too

@mikhael, I have written about it here before. My introduction to StrongFirst's principles was Pavel's book, "Power To The People!" and I practice the deadlift and the barbell side press as taught therein. Before I started, I could do 2 pullups; when I tried them again after perhaps six months of doing PTTP, I did 12 pullups - that's quite an improvement, and I hadn't done any pullups between those two tests. Shortly after that, I started adding pullups as a third movement in my PTTP training, and I did them as press, then pullup, then DL.

The improvement comes from the fact that all the things the pullup needs - grip, lats, abs - had gotten stronger by doing deadlifts and side presses, and primary credit goes to the deadlift, IMO.

-S-

@mikhael, I have written about it here before. My introduction to StrongFirst's principles was Pavel's book, "Power To The People!" and I practice the deadlift and the barbell side press as taught therein. Before I started, I could do 2 pullups; when I tried them again after perhaps six months of doing PTTP, I did 12 pullups - that's quite an improvement, and I hadn't done any pullups between those two tests. Shortly after that, I started adding pullups as a third movement in my PTTP training, and I did them as press, then pullup, then DL.

The improvement comes from the fact that all the things the pullup needs - grip, lats, abs - had gotten stronger by doing deadlifts and side presses, and primary credit goes to the deadlift, IMO.

-S-
Very helpful, thank you @Steve Freides
I'll add Pull-ups to my PTTP regime 2-3x a week as @Pavel Macek recommended 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps with weight.

Last edited:

-S-
Me too. It was the deadlift that made all my chinning bar work much much easier. I didn't notice any gains for pullups at all from S&S. I can understand the initial post though - he already could do 8 pullups and it was the mental fortitude and conditioning perhaps from S&S that got him up 3.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom