all posts post new thread

Kettlebell WTH Weekend

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

WhatWouldHulkDo

Level 8 Valued Member
A good weekend for WTH effects.

Saturday, ran a PR sub 27 minute 5k, without having run more than 1 mile total in the last few weeks. Why? I credit carryover from swings, creating core strength to make it easier to pick up the legs over and over.

I know, sub 27 ain't that fast. But hey, I'm a big guy.

Sunday, took 2nd in sparring at karate tournament, fighting black belts with my measly low brown belt. Why? I credit shoulder endurance from swings and presses - throw more punches, score more points. That's strategy.

Love me some kettlebells.

Should be a general WTH thread. Sorry if there already is one.

S&S did ridiculous WTH effects for my judo (and also BJJ). I'd like to throw my 2 cents in that the one arm swings are better but the 2 hand swings with the heavier weight I couldn't 1h swing at the time also did wonders. Examples of WTH effects with S&S are easily flipping guys off of me who are pinning me, which is otherwise next to impossible, and sweeping people over from all kinds of angles. The TGUs are certainly half of it I think.

Congrats on your new PR time. I'm curious, what was your previous record?

Kozushi, I'm curious, how often do you do S&S per week?
I try to do it twice these days. It is too cardio-demanding to do daily with all the judo I'm doing. This is why the barbell deadlifts for my "big pull" and kettlebell presses for my "big push" exercises are so handy. They take next to no time but have huge strength benefits. I am getting my mobility and cardio training from judo so I don't need to overdo these aspects at home. The pure strength moves are good enough for most days.

Congrats on your new PR time. I'm curious, what was your previous record?

Prior PR was 27:05, final time from this weekend ended up at 26:35 - even better than I had thought. The old PR was from a time when I was running about 10 miles a week. Have backed off the running over the last few month because I wanted to dedicate more time to strength training.

Karate done right is very effective stuff. I've learned a lot from the little bit of Karate I know.

Maybe another WTH effects of S&S is that after 2 years of it I was able to jump into deadlifting and I'm already doing sets of 5 reps at nearly 1.5 times my bodyweight without injury or discomfort.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom