all posts post new thread

Barbell Yamamoto >BW x 10 reps OHP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
It was amazing he hadn't hit a PR in that rep range since 5 years ago. I also thought it was interesting on that one rep where he lost his bracing and had to tense everything again.
He's an OLer - the press is just accessory work for him. I'm sure how much pressing an OLer does varies, but I'm guessing Toshiki senpai doesn't do much beyond maintenance work with it most of the time.

I think he's got a near monopoly on Uesaka sponsorship.
CrossFit Black Ships Yoyogi, they have a full on Uesaka section. Very cool, IMO

He's an OLer - the press is just accessory work for him. I'm sure how much pressing an OLer does varies, but I'm guessing Toshiki senpai doesn't do much beyond maintenance work with it most of the time.

He's in a mass building phase right now because of changes in weight classes and, like most weightlifters, he is moving up the weight classes as he gets older (he's like 30 now).

He's moved up to the 96 kg class now. -- he's pretty much a brick sh#thouse at 93 kg and 5'7".

Pressing gets done by some weightlifters in hypertrophy blocks (like I'm doing now), but once you transition to a strength phase it usually gets replaced with push presses, and then with jerks in the final competition prep mesocycle.

Last edited:
Uesaka's kind of an interesting company - it might have grown, but it's smaller than you might think. I really wish I had known about it when I was young and living in Japan...

It was a bit of a weightlifting cultural embarrassment that Uesaka was not selected for the 2020/21 Tokyo Olympics, especially after being a provider 6 other Olympics.

Lots of Japanese weightlifters were pretty irked that ZKC (Chinese competitor to Uesaka, Eleiko, etc) was selected instead.

Lots of rumors were circulating that the IOC forced ZKC on the Tokyo Olympics committee.

CrossFit Black Ships Yoyogi, they have a full on Uesaka section. Very cool, IMO

I've seen lots of videos filmed inside there.

It has to be the nicest Crossfit box I've ever seen.

It was a bit of a weightlifting cultural embarrassment that Uesaka was not selected for the 2020/21 Tokyo Olympics, especially after being a provider 6 other Olympics.

Lots of Japanese weightlifters were pretty irked that ZKC (Chinese competitor to Uesaka, Eleiko, etc) was selected instead.

Lots of rumors were circulating that the IOC forced ZKC on the Tokyo Olympics committee.
Yeah, there were A LOT of weird things w. the Tokyo games. A lot of it can be blamed on Covid of course, but yeah it was kind of a mess all around - I say that w. great empathy fwiw, a family friend in Tokyo govt. worked pretty hard on the games.

Yeah, there were A LOT of weird things w. the Tokyo games. A lot of it can be blamed on Covid of course, but yeah it was kind of a mess all around - I say that w. great empathy fwiw, a family friend in Tokyo govt. worked pretty hard on the games.

We almost went. We had tickets and plans to just stay at my mother-in-law's house.

But then Covid cancelled all foreign ticket holders.

I meant this phase of the tempo press:

Doesn't it describe the Starting Strength press quite accurately?

I guess not in my mind?

I don't think of myself ever doing a 2nd dip and I do a pretty conventional overhead press, similar to what @Anna C demonstrated up thread.

Maybe it's just semantics for layback, but I think of the dip as a hips motion.

In any case, these days there is really no need to rely on written descriptions of what used to be done in the Olympic press when you can visually see old clips of it on YouTube.

Last edited:
Back in the day, I pressed, or tried to, in the Starting Strength manner. I definitely feel it helped drive the bar off the shoulders.

These days, I just keep everything locked in and have a decent thoracic lean. I still struggle only by the forehead. It's the same for the press behind the neck. They come off very well, and if I get them over my head I can finish them.

It seems that SS press consists merely of the second dip of the tempo/Olympic one.
No... the standard SS press is the first - the hip motion while the bar is in the rack. The second, the layback, is often used by SS pressers also, and not discouraged by SS, but it's not generally taught to beginners. (As a side note, the layback is definitely discouraged by StrongFirst. And the hip motion is not taught at all at SFL.).

Chase is using both in that video above. Interestingly, when I watched it slow, I'm thinking that press should have been disqualified. The bar moves down during the press. According to US Strengthlifting Federation rules, which may or may not have been in effect for that meet but whatever the rules were this was probably one of them: one of the causes for disqualification "After the upward initiation of the press, any downward motion of the center of the bar that occurs prior to lockout, as measured between the hands."

If you're at approximately 45 degrees or more layback it's turning into a standing incline press.
This lift gets a lot of criticism for being a "standing bench press" but I still think it's mightily impressive. Even if he uses a frankly alarming amount of layback he's still pressing 405 overhead with no support other than his own back and shoulder musculature. As someone who can hardly imagine squatting 405 it blows my mind a little to see that.

This lift gets a lot of criticism for being a "standing bench press" but I still think it's mightily impressive. Even if he uses a frankly alarming amount of layback he's still pressing 405 overhead with no support other than his own back and shoulder musculature. As someone who can hardly imagine squatting 405 it blows my mind a little to see that.

There comes a point, though, where it's no longer an overhead press.

It's a good example of one of the main reasons why it was eliminated from the Olympics.

If we're going to say "anything goes", then I think the strongman competition version that allows for push pressing is safer and allows for even more weight.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom