all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed yes, strength has a greater purpose.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Harald Motz

Level 8 Valued Member
Yesterday I visited a former school mate, I saw the last time, in 1997 when we were both in the german army. The contact to him came, as I got contact via Facebook to a female school mate, we three made the graduation on the same school. Then I had no deep relationship to either of them.
I chatted with the woman, told her what was going on in the last almost twenty years, and ended my report:"And I like to say: everything could be much worse." Later she responded:" Harald, you are right. Did you hear about H.?"
It came out, that he was diagnosed multiple sclerosis while studying on university. She told me, that H. would definitely be happy, if I would contact him via e-mail, as she seemed to be more or less the only one, he had contact to from school, but she can only visit him, when she visits her mother, because she lives in Berlin, 500 miles away. So I did, and wrote to him, and asked him later, if I could visit him. Eventually I saw him yesterday. He was happy to see me, as I was to see him, as the meeting was surprising for both of us.
He lives in the house of his parents, who look for him in a very fine way. In february this year he had a convulsion, was for two days in coma, and is since then in a wheelchair.
What deeply impressed me was his attitude to his what I call "big s***". There is no one to blame for his illness, and he has no feeling of guilt. He said that he never had the notion, that it would be better to be dead. He seemed not to be ashamed in front of me, as I did not feel pity. He is training every day. As he has an aim: to get out of this wheel chair (he says it is much easier to get into, than to come out of it). He is after eight months at a point, that he can stand for a very short period of time, so he is progressing. Slowly. He works on that, patiently.
I want to visit this strong guy again.

Last edited:
I have a related story for you Harald. A friend of mine has had many health problems, cancer, heart surgery with a fitted pacemaker and was on a whole cocktail of drugs due to her illnesses and treatments for side effects of those medications. She was then diagnosed with MS. For the last 10 years she was treated by an oncologist and cardiologists, she had never seen a neurologist and it was s/he who gave her the diagnosis, after a series of medical balls ups and coincidences. She was put on yet more medications to treat ms. It was at this time I suggested that she may want to check out the story of dr Wahls, posted above. 2 years later she is symptom free, takes no meds for anything other than a heart related medication for her pacemaker. Somebody relaying this story to me, or if I read it somewhere, would get my cynical alarm bells ringing and I still find it very hard to fully appreciate the amazing success. It was odd because I merely mentioned it to her in passing after stumbling across the story myself in a paleo/real food related link I had just read. I never expected her to take me seriously. She is my accountant and always tells me off for my inefficiency and stupidity. She still never gave me any discount either, that's accountants for you! She is a machine and is now a personal trainer. I've seen her literally at death's door, be very overweight due to steroids, be severely under weight due to illness, bounce back from one operation only to end up needing another. And now she is strong, fit and healthy. Her diagnosis of ms was not advanced but the neurologist thought that she had had it for a few years. Her symptoms were being treated as if they were side effects of various meds, when it was untreated ms. She got stuck in with the diet protocol and slowly came off her meds. This in no way means that it works or will work in anyway for everyone with ms, of course. I can vouch for the impact of dr Wahls' protocol on my friend though. It is extraordinary. I know we all should tread very carefully when claims of this and that are spouted, particularly when it comes to health and illness, miracle cures etc and offering false hope to people in a desperate situation. Dr Wahls' protocol however is real. It is crass of me to say it, being as cynical as I am, but I've seen it with my own eyes.
Take from that what you will.

I would've posted the exact same thing after I read Haralds post. I came across Terry Wahls a few years ago when a doctor misdiagnosed me with MS. Fortunately the diagnose was proven wrong 2 days later, but still by far the 2 worst days and nights of my entire life.
I was so deeply impressed by the video that I downloaded it and kept it ever since.

Harald, sad to hear about your friend. He's got the right attitude though and instead of giving in he chose to have hope and work towards his goals. That's admirable.

Harald, my partner has MS and a number of years ago was told she was unlikely to walk again. However, thanks to personal courage, great medical care, modern medicine and family support she can not only walk but we even undertook a short hike last summer on the Isle of Skye.

I would say that it is an illness with an unpredictable course, a huge range of severities and it is key to be under the care of a good neurologist. Certainly a dramatic improvement in condition from a crisis point is certainly possible with hard work (and some good fortune). There arealso new medicines constantly being introduced. Good luck to your friend.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom