all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Yet another S&S addition thread....

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

treesgoblue

Level 5 Valued Member
First off , can't emphasize enough how awesome this forum is and how helpful everyone is. Thanks so much — you all are the best.

Second, I've been going through S&S for the past month and really enjoying it. I'm nearly hitting the time standards for 24kg (I've got it for TGU, but not swings yet with form I'm proud of), and I'm excited to move up to 32kg once I own that for awhile.

The problem, however, is that I come from a Crossfit background and I've really been missing the feeling of workouts that crank my heart-rate up and leave me toasted. Now I know and appreciate that I don't need that. In fact, I get that doing so is maybe even detrimental to strength gains and overall longevity according to the antiglycolic folks. Regardless, I need it — those kind of workouts are how I destress, and I really miss them. I also get that workouts will pick up once I'm using some more significant weight, but still, it's different. I've done powerlifting as well, which, while awesome, to me feels like a different kind of exhaustion.

That said:
  • Does anyone have any good recs for those kind of crank your heart-rate, WOD style kettlebell based workouts I could either do every now and then or add to S&S?
  • If it's by getting a pair of kbs and doing work with them, what's a good program and what's a good pair to start with?
If helpful my current tools are: 12kg bell, 20kg bell, 24kg bell, 15lb mace. Open to getting some more, but I try to be prudent in only getting tools I'll use for the long haul.

Really appreciate the help — thanks!

Welcome to the forum! Pavel is very clear in his books, not to "flip the crazy switch" with kettlebells until you are comfortably swinging the 32kg for men. So I wouldn't mess with the core program for now. Once you are there, you can go for the timed tests or the 100 swing non-stop challenge on a weekly basis.

On the other hand, S&S makes an excellent base program that you can pair with a sport or some other training. Personally, I would recommend hill sprints as a huge bang for your buck workout that will give you the feeling you want, but really find something that works for you and allows you to train five or six days a week with S&S if that is your primary goal. Personally, I would limit this kind of burn to once a week, but that's really up to you and how you feel.

I agree, once a week or once every two weeks.

I suppose we could read into what @Tim Randolph referenced, and say that someone who is new to training wouldn't want to "flip the crazy switch" until working regularly with the 32kg....

But you are not new to training. So ...

Try this with your 12kg bell:
I did it in a video here: Simply Sinister

I think you will get that "pleasantly smoked" feeling you are seeking, and should be relatively safe with the 12kg bell.

But the way, relative to this:

I'm nearly hitting the time standards for 24kg (I've got it for TGU, but not swings yet with form I'm proud of),

Have you read the Revised & Updated version of S&S? In your daily practice, you will do better if you back way off from "nearly hitting the time standards"... your swings will be better (and progress faster, strength and power-wise) with more rest between sets.

Last edited:
After watching the video, I have to now ask if you live near a shooting range. ;)

Haha... No, but I live in a rural part of a coastal county in Mississippi... so that that explains it :)

@Anna C gave great insights again..

Work up to the simple standard (timeless) then you can start toying with other approaches..

One thing you could do to appease that "crazy" switch is do a set or two every 30 seconds then rest as needed.. Just enough rush but not to the point of going into extreme glycolisis

I had an issue today. I picked up the 32 and started swinging, and I couldn't hold on to it. That's never happened before (I do 8 sets with the 24, 2 with the 32).
I get some chalk and that fixed it instantly.

I haven't read the updated version of simple and sinister, but does it still have the non stop swing challenge every 1-2 weeks?

Grab a bell one size smaller than working weight and do as many consecutive reps as possible. No one ever talks about that!

I haven't read the updated version of simple and sinister, but does it still have the non stop swing challenge every 1-2 weeks?

Grab a bell one size smaller than working weight and do as many consecutive reps as possible. No one ever talks about that!
It's not in 2.0 that I'm aware of. I'm assuming that Pavel wants you to work on your S&S testing with a smaller bell after hitting timeless simple.

I've done it a few times. It will definitely blow out your pipes. I don't see why you couldn't do it. Especially if you have only 3 minutes to work out where you can knockout 100 continuous swings ;)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom