all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed YMCA Step test/recovery heart rate

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I just did the exact test just now....my HR after 1 minute's rest was 101, then within 3 seconds was 94. I think I might have the case of Whitecoat fever. We shall see when i do the next test. Thank you to all of you who responded, much appreciated. As i finished writing, my HR has dropped to 77-80 bpm. All good.

It would be much better to score the test based on how many BPM you dropped over the first minute, rather than simply what was your heart rate after one minute.
Out of curiousity, does such a curve exist in the research? A short-hand "Healthy means your max HR drops by X% within one minute" metric?

Out of curiousity, does such a curve exist in the research? A short-hand "Healthy means your max HR drops by X% within one minute" metric?

At the end of the exercise a decrease of 15-20 beats per minute (bpm) in the first minute of recovery has been shown to be typical for a healthy person (9, 24). A first minute reduction of post-exercise HR less than 12 bpm if recovery is active (7) or 18 bpm if recovery is passive in the supine position (10) after a maximal exercise test, represents an unfavorable prognosis for relative risk of cardiovascular mortality in asymptomatic individuals and cardiopaths (7, 9, 10).

From:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...VmuQudACilTWko_DA&sig2=G1l4a9yjYYokOLX1OLGZwA

@preveost...standing around or shaking my arms my HR usually goes down by 28-30+ bpm. This morning's test, i just sat down to replicate the actual test, and my HR went down by 49 bpm. But you know, i could hardly call the 3 minute step test at 96bpm cadence a maximal exercise.

Here are some data on heart rate recovery and risk of mortality:
View attachment 2312
You'll find the original article here: Heart Rate Recovery Immediately After Treadmill Exercise and Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction as Predictors of Mortality | Circulation
Note that once you get to 24-26 BPM, your risk does not drop much with increasing heart rate recovery. These were patients in their 50s and 60s.

Now that is an awesome graph. I'm going to remember this when I do exercise testing at work. Always knew the effect but having this objective data/norms is great! thanks for that post

@preveost...standing around or shaking my arms my HR usually goes down by 28-30+ bpm. This morning's test, i just sat down to replicate the actual test, and my HR went down by 49 bpm. But you know, i could hardly call the 3 minute step test at 96bpm cadence a maximal exercise.

49 BPM drop in a minute is great.

You must have been very psyched up for the test then! Interesting comparison. You see some pro athletes get totally wired before an event and make a total balls up. All twitchy and unpredictable. Shows how breathing, relaxation can influence performance and how performance anxiety can impact. I did a bleep test for a job. Normally a breeze but I was shaking with a dry mouth and, although passing easily on paper, struggled with co-ordination and ran like a muppet!

Last edited:
@ali...yeah mate, a bit anxious/nervous...not totally psyched but still affected my HR....so yeah, performance anxiety definitely has an impact...i remember when i used to play basketball...i could do all the moves during training, but could barely do the moves during actual games.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom