all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Yoga as part of your training and life

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
I could write pages on why I started yoga and how I could never give it up now.

Found this in another thread and hoping you'll share some of your answer here!

I almost put this thread in the Bodyweight forum, because I feel there are a lot of similarities between bodyweight strength training and yoga. In fact, I would say yoga is more about bodyweight strength than it is about flexibility/mobility... although that depends on how one practices it. But there are many differences (breathing, focus, session structure) between bodyweight strength training and yoga, so I suppose this sub-forum is the better place for it.

I've been doing some form of yoga for almost 15 years now although I still consider myself a beginner-intermediate. I started by attending a beginner yoga class and have done that off and on over the years. About 8 years ago I started doing 10 sun salutations every morning and that got me to being able to do a real push-up for the first time, and also transitioned me to having my own practice -- something that served me well moving into strength training. I also got some DVDs and followed them often (Rodney Yee's Power Yoga is my favorite... I also really liked the original P90x yoga - believe it or not, it's good!), got some books and studied more about the practice (Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving into Stillness: Erich Schiffmann, Trish O'Rielly: 8601404782329: Amazon.com: Books was influential) and continued on my own. These past few years I've done less yoga overall but still do a little here and there. Recently added back some sun salutations most mornings.

I feel it's a great "movement screen" -- kind of like I imagine FMS is (I have no experience with that) but with far more movement patterns covered. Once you know your baselines, you can move through poses and tell when something is off. It also expands range of motion in so many ways, pushing into edges and finding tight spots that can loosen tension. The static holds are good for isometric strength training. The breath focus is good for diaphragmatic breathing. The mental focus is calming and helps control stress. These are just some of the benefits that I've found.

@Lotto and others - How is yoga an important part of your training and life?

Hi @Anna C. I'll try my best to explain why yoga means so much to me.
Yoga found me around 10 years ago. Almost overnight I became debilitated with a chronic disease why meant me losing my job/career. The disease spread so rapidly it resulted in me having major internal organs removed to save my life. Unfortunately the operation didn't go as planned resulting in me having to deal with another major obstacle in my recovery/future health which would require further unplanned major surgeries.

After spending 3 months in hospital and finally being allowed home, I knew I had to regain health quickly. My partner was 6 weeks away from giving birth.
All my usual exercises were off limits due to their nature. Climbing, mountain biking, weight training amongst others.
Pushing myself to get better quicker I had to find alternate exercise to keep me from being bed bound.
I found yoga.
It was a book from the library. I flicked through it not knowing what I was looking at and to be honest, didn't really care. I knew I had to pick exercises that matched my ability/rehabilitation.
There wasn't many. But I persevered. At this stage I only practiced the physical asanas
As the days grew to weeks, to months I could see improvements.
Coupled with walks with the newborn it was the only exercise I was capable of.
After 6 months I knew I was strong enough to tentatively return to my old exercises.
I realised though if I could improve my yoga, I could get back to my climbing etc earlier.
I joined a yoga class, and to this day I practice 4 times a week minimum at the same studio. (Covid excepted)
80% of my class is conducted in the Sivananda style, complemented by other styles randomly. Iyengar, Ashtanga, Tibetan etc.
If you decide to dabble in yoga, please try a few styles. Like bikes, mountain/road cycling is conducted on a bike, but they are different. Closer to home, single KB work is different from double KB work. You may enjoy one style more than another, it doesn't mean you don't like/not suited to biking or KB's
In a couple of years I got myself from being barely able to get out of bed to being accomplished in some advanced asanas. (Blood to head stand, scorpion, handstand etc)
I noticed improvements in all areas of my life, the relaxation/meditation helped me cope with young children and getting back to work.
The breathing exercise skills (pranayama) transferred to every aspect of my life. At all times I now breath as the human body intended. (most adults don't) Look at a baby breathe, they do it best, from the diaphragm.
The challenges in yoga are immeasurable, also so are the adaptions to postures, so there is never an excuse to say "I can't" only "not yet"
This is the challenge I enjoy most, you can't hide, in its rawest form you can do yoga anywhere in just your underwear. You can't say, I could do the TGU if I had a 28, I could have cycled faster if I had a better bike, I could have run further if I had new trainers. No, there is you and the mat, nothing else. You have to control your emotions, focus your attention and challenge your perceptions of what you are capable of and queston yourself everyday.
These skills are transferable, you can apply these skills to relationships, work, sport, everywhere.
To cement my belief that yoga has positive affects on the mind and body, after each major surgery, my physical condition obviously depleted, but laying in the recovery room, I focused on my pranayama, I used relaxation and mediation skills to detract from pain, when allowed to be mobile, I got back on the mat. Sure I had regressed, new scars hurt, they prevented me from doing asanas I had worked so hard to achieve only weeks earlier. I never gave up though on getting back to where I was, I adapted my asanas and in doing this grew my knowledge and physical capabilities and I got back to where I was, then further surgery was required and the cycle repeated, but I had learned how to cope through yoga.
Yoga has got me to a point where I am determined to at the very least achieve Simple standard. I won't wander off to something else I fancy when the going gets tough, I will remain focused when I know the TGU technique requires attention, I will humbly seek help when I realise it is required. Talking to other people about their experiences can bring immeasurable benefits, even on an internet forum.
The physical benefits of yoga I can't even begin to explain, I can give you examples though. In my job (climbing arborist) occasionally very hard jobs come up. Climbing out onto a limb of a 500 year old tree and abseiling down to cut back a broken branch. The team ask me to do it, I'm not the best arborist but I remain supple enough even in my forties to carry out this sort of task, and I have the mental discipline to complete a technically mentally exhaustive task. Other people simply don't want the challenge. I relish it. It helps me in the head that I'm still on the right path.
Anyway I digress, yoga, yeah it is good. Give it a go. You may even be surprised how sweaty it gets.

Last edited:
Yoga found me around 10 years ago. Almost overnight I became debilitated with a chronic disease why meant me losing my job/career. The disease spread so rapidly it resulted in me having major internal organs removed to save my life. Unfortunately the operation didn't go as planned resulting in me having to deal with another major obstacle in my recovery/future health which would require further unplanned major surgeries.

After spending 3 months in hospital and finally being allowed home, I knew I had to regain health quickly. My partner was 6 weeks away from giving birth.
All my usual exercises were off limits due to their nature. Climbing, mountain biking, weight training amongst others.
Pushing myself to get better quicker I had to find alternate exercise to keep me from being bed bound.
I found yoga.
It was a book from the library. I flicked through it not knowing what I was looking at and to be honest, didn't really care. I knew I had to pick exercises that matched my ability/rehabilitation.
There wasn't many. But I persevered. At this stage I only practiced the physical asanas
After 6 months I knew I was strong enough to tentatively return to my old exercises.
I realised though if I could improve my yoga, I could get back to my climbing etc earlier.
I joined a yoga class, and to this day I practice 4 times a week minimum at the same studio. (Covid excepted)
80% of my class is conducted in the Sivananda style, complemented by other styles randomly. Iyengar, Ashtanga, Tibetan etc.
If you decide to dabble in yoga, please try a few styles. Like bikes, mountain/road cycling is conducted on a bike, but they are different. Closer to home, single KB work is different from double KB work. You may enjoy one style more than another, it doesn't mean you don't like/not suited to biking or KB's
In a couple of years I got myself from being barely able to get out of bed to being accomplished in some advanced asanas. (Blood to head stand, scorpion, handstand etc)
I noticed improvements in all areas of my life, the relaxation/meditation helped me cope with young children and getting back to work.
The breathing exercise skills (pranayama) transferred to every aspect of my life. At all times I now breath as the human body intended. (most adults don't) Look at a baby breath, they do it best, from the diaphragm.
The challenges in yoga are immeasurable, also so are the adaptions to postures, so there is never an excuse to say "I can't" only "not yet"
This is the challenge I enjoy most, you can't hide, in its rawest form you can do yoga anywhere in just your underwear. You can't say, I could do the TGU if I had a 28, I could have cycled faster if I had a better bike, I could have run further if I had new trainers. No, there is you and the mat, nothing else. You have to control your emotions, focus your attention and challenge your perceptions of what you are capable of and queston yourself everyday.
These skills are transferable, you can apply these skills to relationships, work, sport, everywhere.
To cement my belief that yoga has positive affects on the mind and body, after each major surgery, my physical condition obviously depleted, but laying in the recovery room, I focused on my pranayama, I used relaxation and mediation skills to detract from pain, when allowed to be mobile, I got back on the mat. Sure I had regressed, new scars hurt, they prevented me from doing asanas I had worked so hard to achieve only weeks earlier. I never gave up though on getting back to where I was, I adapted my asanas and in doing this grew my knowledge and physical capabilities and I got back to where I was, then further surgery was required and the cycle repeated, but I had learned how to cope through yoga.
Yoga has got me to a point where I am determined to at the very least achieve Simple standard. I won't wander off to something else I fancy when the going gets tough, I will remain focused when I know the TGU technique requires attention, I will humbly seek help when I realise it is required. Talking to other people about their experiences can bring immeasurable benefits, even on an internet forum.
The physical benefits of yoga I can't even begin to explain, I can give you examples though. In my job (climbing arborist) occasionally very hard jobs come up. Climbing out onto a limb of a 500 year old tree and abseiling down to cut back a broken branch. The team ask me to do it, I'm not the best arborist but I remain supple enough even in my forties to carry out this sort of task, and I have the mental discipline to complete a technically mentally exhaustive task. Other people simply don't want the challenge. I relish it. It helps me in the head that I'm still on the right path.
Anyway I digress, yoga, yeah it is good. Give it a go. You may even be surprised how sweaty it gets.

I must say, I'm VERY impressed. Mad props to you, sir!

I found yoga.
The breathing exercise skills (pranayama) transferred to every aspect of my life. At all times I now breath as the human body intended. (most adults don't) Look at a baby breath, they do it best, from the diaphragm.

Wow, that's an incredible insight into what yoga has been for you. I'm so glad I asked!

I can relate to the surgery recovery [art. I used training in much the same way, and although I didn't specifically mention it in the article (Coming Back Strong After Surgery), yoga was part of it also. I started going to class once a week at week 5 and continued until the gym was closed in March. Each week's class gave me so much information about where I was in my recovery and rebuilding.

I like what you said about the different kinds of yoga. That is quite true. And, I still have a lot to learn about them. I wish I had more options of places to go learn from others. Sounds like you have a very good studio and instructors available.

I took a one-day pranayama class one time... It's amazing how many different ways there are to exercise the breath!

Thanks so much for sharing and I'm looking forward to your Simple achievement.

It's wild that this post was created today because I've been looking into starting yoga. I have no idea where to start though.

I've been recovering from Costochondritis (not sure if one ever fully recovers from it) and was doing a lot more track & field training. Then I added S&S into the mix and very-lightly strained my IT band on the right side of my hip or some muscles around there when doing a TGU.

I took the last week off to rest and focus on stretching more (pigeon stretch mostly). Probably will take a few more weeks off because I already have to deal with one long-term injury, I'd rather not deal with a hip-IT band injury on top of that.

Back to yoga, if there are any recommendations you have for movement patterns please let me know. Also I feel that yoga is one of those topics that suffers from a lot of western pollution, how does one navigate through the bs?

Thank you @Anna C. Those kind words mean more to me than you could possibly imagine coming from someone as accomplished as yourself. I hope you continue your yoga journey with more classes ( pranayama results really do 'reset' the body ?)when things return to a more normal situation.

Also I feel that yoga is one of those topics that suffers from a lot of western pollution, how does one navigate through the bs?

@jaku. I would ask hard truthful questions of what type of person/athlete you are. Not what you want others to see you as, but what you know you really are. Not the style that is the latest fad or what you want to tell your friends you do. When you find your style, "Gurus" then exist in your chosen disciplines to learn from.
These guys are good. No marketing BS.

Kino MacGregor on omstar

Ty Landrum.

If you are up for a challenge, want to be continually out of breath, really pushing the physical limits, try Ashtanga.
If you are a more inhibited almost introvert person, the type of person who likes to see other people do stuff before you try and be helped to make sure you are doing it ok, Sivananda style allows a more relaxed style. You spend a lot of time holding the asanas to develop breathing etc rather than transition quickly through as in Ashtanga.
If you think you can never do yoga because you can't touch your toes and are as stiff as a board. Try Iyengar. Lots of use of props/bolsters etc. Please do not confuse this style with therefore being easy. I often do it when I can't get my brain and body to tie in, his methods let you experience where you should be, ultimately heading towards unaided. It is fantastic for reference and learning.
Tibetan style is really slow controlled movements and lots of meditation. It really helps you 'slow down and concentrate' Immensely transferable skills to life. Unbelievable how sore one can be after 90 mins after " just largely sitting crossed leg on the floor"
If you want a Sinister challenge. Try Bikram. *Disclaimer; I've never tried it, but imagine the extra dimension warrants the 'Sinister' challenge aspect. ?
Obviously these are broad generalisations based on my experiences, but to summarise different styles of yoga offer a different experience. Picking the wrong one may put you off the discipline entirely.
I would research yoga styles and choose the one that resonates with you. Unfortunately then geographical limitations come into play. Finding a good instructor near you that you can attend 3 times a week within budget etc.
Variety is the spice of life as they say, the disciplines blend into each other and being human you choose what best suits your circumstances.
I've been exceptionally lucky to hit on exactly what I need for me as an individual.

Last edited:
I took up boxing because wrestling was too difficult and after my wife convinced me to try her yoga class I couldn't get back under a barbell quick enough. Yoga was really tough. I was amazed. I expected some slow stretching while contemplating my inner narrative, not an intense full body workout that left me struggling to control my heartbeat and gasping for air. I first became concerned when the instructor walked in - she rippled with muscle and there wasn't an ounce of fat on her. She looked like she could do one-armed chin ups all day. I introduced myself and said, "You look quite fit, what do you do to workout?" She looked perplexed and replied, "Yoga!" My inner narrative said, "Uh oh!"

Found this in another thread and hoping you'll share some of your answer here!

I almost put this thread in the Bodyweight forum, because I feel there are a lot of similarities between bodyweight strength training and yoga. In fact, I would say yoga is more about bodyweight strength than it is about flexibility/mobility... although that depends on how one practices it. But there are many differences (breathing, focus, session structure) between bodyweight strength training and yoga, so I suppose this sub-forum is the better place for it.

I've been doing some form of yoga for almost 15 years now although I still consider myself a beginner-intermediate. I started by attending a beginner yoga class and have done that off and on over the years. About 8 years ago I started doing 10 sun salutations every morning and that got me to being able to do a real push-up for the first time, and also transitioned me to having my own practice -- something that served me well moving into strength training. I also got some DVDs and followed them often (Rodney Yee's Power Yoga is my favorite... I also really liked the original P90x yoga - believe it or not, it's good!), got some books and studied more about the practice (Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving into Stillness: Erich Schiffmann, Trish O'Rielly: 8601404782329: Amazon.com: Books was influential) and continued on my own. These past few years I've done less yoga overall but still do a little here and there. Recently added back some sun salutations most mornings.

I feel it's a great "movement screen" -- kind of like I imagine FMS is (I have no experience with that) but with far more movement patterns covered. Once you know your baselines, you can move through poses and tell when something is off. It also expands range of motion in so many ways, pushing into edges and finding tight spots that can loosen tension. The static holds are good for isometric strength training. The breath focus is good for diaphragmatic breathing. The mental focus is calming and helps control stress. These are just some of the benefits that I've found.

@Lotto and others - How is yoga an important part of your training and life?
Hey @Anna C - quick question:
Were you doing yoga practice when you hit Sinister? And, if so, what did your practice look like? Thanks a lot for being awesome.

@Anna C, I also used the book by Eric Schiffmann you mentioned. I still have it. I took hatha yoga classes for 6 months back in 2001 then did my own practice using the routines from the book. The only problem was that there was no way I could do the full routine, not enough time, so I ended up just doing one section each time e.g. standing poses or forward bends or back bends, etc. plus the savasana at the end.

I never got that flexible, but I did like the rejuvenating feeling I got after doing a session of yoga.

Hey @Anna C - quick question:
Were you doing yoga practice when you hit Sinister? And, if so, what did your practice look like? Thanks a lot for being awesome.
Thanks! Yes, I was doing at least some yoga; a lunchtime class or two per week, and Sun Salutations as a warm-up for other things on other days. My training log has literally ALL my training for the last 6 years, 1 week at a time... This link takes you to when I did Sinister, so you can see what else I was doing in the weeks before and after.

@Anna C, I also used the book by Eric Schiffmann you mentioned. I still have it. I took hatha yoga classes for 6 months back in 2001 then did my own practice using the routines from the book. The only problem was that there was no way I could do the full routine, not enough time, so I ended up just doing one section each time e.g. standing poses or forward bends or back bends, etc. plus the savasana at the end.

I never got that flexible, but I did like the rejuvenating feeling I got after doing a session of yoga.
I've been trying to re-visit yoga practice. Haven't been to a class since early 2020 and only sporadic practice at home. My absolute favorite routine is Rodney Yee's Power Yoga. Other than that I usually do 5-10 Sun Salutations and add a few other poses in, whatever feels like it helps release tension and grant me more range of movement.

Thanks! Yes, I was doing at least some yoga; a lunchtime class or two per week, and Sun Salutations as a warm-up for other things on other days. My training log has literally ALL my training for the last 6 years, 1 week at a time... This link takes you to when I did Sinister, so you can see what else I was doing in the weeks before and after.

I've been trying to re-visit yoga practice. Haven't been to a class since early 2020 and only sporadic practice at home. My absolute favorite routine is Rodney Yee's Power Yoga. Other than that I usually do 5-10 Sun Salutations and add a few other poses in, whatever feels like it helps release tension and grant me more range of movement.
Thankyou for replying. The link is super helpful. Have a great day.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom