all posts post new thread

Off-Topic You Become What You Do. (Sort of) (Article by Tom Furman)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 4484

Really enjoyed Tom´s latest article. You Become What You Do. (Sort of)

Especially Kenneth Jays part below. IIRC he has ties to SF?

"With an increased HR to VO2 relationship it will never be as good as typical cardio exercises. It is simple physiology really. Increased heart rate decreases the time available to fill the left ventricle of the heart, which means that the left ventricle will contain and eject less blood per contraction. This means that the “stretching” of the heart wall, which is necessary to increase your stroke volume and your VO2, does not happen. It’s the Frank-Starling mechanism in full effect and it’s basic cardiorespiratory physiology. Moral of the story: STOP thinking you can ‘get your cardio in’ by lifting weights — no matter how fast you lift them!”

Stroke pressure increases, but a lot of that would be from HIIT, which is almost impossible to do with resistance training.

But yes, increased volume per stroke can only be improved with LISS, that's why HIIT doesn't really decrease resting HR very much by comparison.

After reading the article and some brief reflection, I am considering trying to add liss. Currently running Q&D. After years of heavier weights/low reps, it is quite possible that it could do me some good.

Most likely. From the article:
”Improve Your Cardiovascular Ability.This involves cardiovascular exercise and not, “Lifting Weights Fast”, not doing, “Fran” or training like a Leopard.”

Really enjoyed Tom´s latest article. You Become What You Do. (Sort of)

Especially Kenneth Jays part below. IIRC he has ties to SF?

"With an increased HR to VO2 relationship it will never be as good as typical cardio exercises. It is simple physiology really. Increased heart rate decreases the time available to fill the left ventricle of the heart, which means that the left ventricle will contain and eject less blood per contraction. This means that the “stretching” of the heart wall, which is necessary to increase your stroke volume and your VO2, does not happen. It’s the Frank-Starling mechanism in full effect and it’s basic cardiorespiratory physiology. Moral of the story: STOP thinking you can ‘get your cardio in’ by lifting weights — no matter how fast you lift them!”

Tom Furman's articles are a great read - thank you for reminding me! :)

Great article.

If I may make a quick summary:
1) don’t get fat
2) do strength training. Get in some hypertrophy.
3) do low intensity endurance activity for your ticker.

I love the fact that the article specifically debunks the “no middle ground” fallacy, which is the dominant position on the internet (esp on instagram); and dare I say, to a lesser extent in this forum as well.

Hello,

I agree. If you want to sustainably decrease your HR, nothing beats LISS. This always has to be trained alongside other routine (strength, etc...).

From what I remember, it is proven that the combination of HIT and LISS permit to maximize benefits of both. This is why most people who train A+A / S&S / HIT and LISS report drastic improvement in conditioning. However, on the long haul, LISS + heavy lifting + proper diet seems to be the way to go.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I love the fact that the article specifically debunks the “no middle ground” fallacy, which is the dominant position on the internet (esp on instagram); and dare I say, to a lesser extent in this forum as well.
Please explain what you mean further, if you don't mind. The standard recommendation around here, so far as I know, is one grind, one ballistic, and some easy jogging.

Thanks. And I have not read the article, just responding to "in this forum as well."

-S-

Please explain what you mean further, if you don't mind. The standard recommendation around here, so far as I know, is one grind, one ballistic, and some easy jogging.

Thanks. And I have not read the article, just responding to "in this forum as well."

-S-

There are forum posters (not all of them, and at least none from the staff as far as I can tell) who advocate a “S&S is all the cardio you need”, or “A+A replaces everything” POV. I suppose they are entitled to their own views of course!

As for A+A, while personally it has worked for me from a performance basis, I don’t know if it can fully replace the LISS component. S&S, for me at least, saw me lose some aerobic fitness.

In reddit, advocating for even a modicum of LISS in a strength focused forum will see yourself flamed. I doubt it is so here but let’s see.

As you pointed out, 1 grind + 1 ballistic + light jog/walking is a great prescription for at least general health.

Although there is a focus on rucking over this forum, I did have the impression that A+A was a good substitution for LISS.

Maybe it is not, I have no idea, but sometimes it is the impression I get.

@godjira1, thank you.

There are forum posters (not all of them, and at least none from the staff as far as I can tell) who advocate a “S&S is all the cardio you need”, or “A+A replaces everything” POV. I suppose they are entitled to their own views of course!
I think this really depends on what your needs are. I have said similar things when asked about jogging because, for me, walking seem sufficient. When I walk relaxedly, my HR is in the 100 - 110 range, perhaps not ideal as Zone 1 cardiovascular exercise, but certainly better than nothing. Again, speaking personally, I always have strength training and walking in my program, and the kettlebell ballistics come and go. Having discovered Q&D, I love those kind of kettlebell ballistics for myself. There are only so many hours in my day, and only some exercise time and, perhaps most importantly, only so much recovery time, and my own tendency is to beat myself up with kettlebell ballistics when I do them, hence my decision to keep them a relatively small portion of my program.

As for A+A, while personally it has worked for me from a performance basis, I don’t know if it can fully replace the LISS component. S&S, for me at least, saw me lose some aerobic fitness.
Al Ciampa has never recommended A+A only as long as I've known him - it's always been A+A and then go out and run for an hour.

In reddit, advocating for even a modicum of LISS in a strength focused forum will see yourself flamed. I doubt it is so here but let’s see.
What's reddit?

Seriously, I know what it is, but I probably visited it twice in total and have no plans to go back.

The answer to this one is simple - don't go there.

As you pointed out, 1 grind + 1 ballistic + light jog/walking is a great prescription for at least general health.
That gets a big +1 from me.

-S-

For some peoples needs I suppose S&S might provide all the 'cardio' they need (or perhaps think they need) It really does come back to training goals and aspirations. It's been my experience here on this forum that what I will refer to as 'people in the know' are pretty big supporters of the efficacy of LED Locomotive training. That can take many forms of course: Cycling, Rowing, X-C skiing, Walking, and everybody's perennial favourites; running and rucking...
Training is a continuum.. You have Halfthor Bjornson at one end, Killian Jornet at the other, and everyone else spread out somewheres in-between...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom