all posts post new thread

Kettlebell You have ten minutes a day.... what do you do for strength and mobility?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dayz

Level 8 Valued Member
Currently riding my bike as a commute one hour each way to work. Riding is my passion so I'm on the bike another 4 hours on the weekend. It's definitely my priority.

I spend ten minutes per day doing original strength resets at the moment. But I think I need some kettlebell work for strength so potentially looking at replacing the resets with something

Maybe ten minutes on swings and TGUs might be a solution to get some strength in , but I'm not sure. Another option would be "easy strength" for clean and press or something similar?

Thoughts?

In my humble opinion, if health, strength, or mobility is important to you, find more than 10 mins/day. 10 mins a day - no miracles are gonna happen. S&S is program minimum - minimum effective dose.

You're not going to be able to do S&S in 10 Min.
The testing standard without warmup is 16 min, and you will be talking longer in your normal workouts.

If you can spare a couple more minutes to warm up (3×5 Goblet Squats from SS), then maybe: Kettlebells and Deadlifting: A Match Made in Heaven? | StrongFirst

The Swing program is based on building reps and sets as you adapt (instead of compressing time), so you always know how long your workout will take.

A better option may be Grease the Groove:
One Good Rep: How to Perform the Perfect Pistol | StrongFirst
One Good Rep: How to Perform the Perfect Push-up | StrongFirst

This way you could keep doing Original Strength in the 10 Min chunk you have.

No matter what you decide: Best of Luck!

I would do something along those lines:

Day A: resets + 5 minutes of crawling
Day B: resets + 5 minutes of carrying (putting the bell down and picking it back up every 15 meters)
Day C: 10 minutes of swings

And possibly some GTG work here and there: Pistols, Presses, Pullups, Bent Press, TGU or some other move, especially grinds + short resets here and there (standing cross crawls or neck nods fit the bill)

Another option, similar to the Program Minimum in ETK:

Day A: Swings + Resets between sets
Day B: TGU

And if you want to load your gait pattern:
Day C: Crawling and/or Carries

And I have to disagree with @Pavel Macek here: Something is more than nothing. However, more is of course better, especially if you want to meet some standards.

My wife got relatively strong by doing GTG pullups, low reps (1-2) or even only hangs. Probably only 90 seconds of time investment per day.

Do what you can and if you got more time, then use it :)

Currently riding my bike as a commute one hour each way to work. Riding is my passion so I'm on the bike another 4 hours on the weekend. It's definitely my priority.

I spend ten minutes per day doing original strength resets at the moment. But I think I need some kettlebell work for strength so potentially looking at replacing the resets with something

Maybe ten minutes on swings and TGUs might be a solution to get some strength in , but I'm not sure. Another option would be "easy strength" for clean and press or something similar?

Thoughts?
I ride a bit too...

If all you really have is 10min... I would do TGU and Pull-ups

But I bet you could find more time if it was a priority...

In my humble opinion, if health, strength, or mobility is important to you, find more than 10 mins/day. 10 mins a day - no miracles are gonna happen. S&S is program minimum - minimum effective dose.
I agree 100% with Pavel. But if you insist, do a single set of kettlebell swings every day. Two handed, between 15 and 25 reps, all very crisp and explosive, with a weight chosen to allow that level of performance, not more and not less. It will take you about 30 seconds, and you may do whatever else you like in the remaining 9:30.

-S-

If you are riding (really riding... and by that I mean in a 'training mode') two hours each day... I don't think swings are going to benefit you as much as TGU's or something else will...

In fact if I recall correctly Pavel T cautions against swings and forward bending positions (such as in cycling) being performed in close proximity timewise to each other. So if you do wish to do swings, bear that in mind.

Circuit:
Pushups
Goblet squat
pullups or rows
Good Mornings

You could maybe run through it twice in ten minutes

Alternative, use 2.5 and 5lb wrist and ankle weights, jump rope for 10 minutes straight at whatever pace you can manage.

Since you are already cycling a lot your cardiovasular needs are most likely covered.

Having come into kettlebell training as a 5+ year cyclist myself, I'll offer an opposing view. I think the swings were more of a benefit to me than the get-ups (although getups are great, too).

In my opinion, swings aren't for the cardio -- swings are for posterior chain development; i.e., athleticism.... which I did not get from the bike.

If all you have is 10 minutes, pick 3 lifts you consider most beneficial for your situation, but then rotate through, doing just one each day.

He is already devoting 14 hours per week to the bike. That's a lot of time. I think most of the benefits of exercising are already covered by this.

I have gotten good results doing 10 min swing sessions. Maybe 2/week you could do a full S&S, which would take 40 min, and the other days do 10 minutes of swings or TGU.

How about daily dose deadlift and tgu?

I would go for heavy weights since you get a lot of cardio from the bike. Heavy clean and press, farmers walk, rows and squats. If it's just for 10min I guess you could do that in a circuit without putting the bell/bells down. Or do a 5min circuit before you ride your bike to work and do a 5min circuit when you get back home.

Stretch in the evening in bed right before you go to sleep, it's quite nice and saves a lot of time.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom