all posts post new thread

Kettlebell You have ten minutes a day.... what do you do for strength and mobility?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Currently riding my bike as a commute one hour each way to work. Riding is my passion so I'm on the bike another 4 hours on the weekend. It's definitely my priority.

I spend ten minutes per day doing original strength resets at the moment. But I think I need some kettlebell work for strength so potentially looking at replacing the resets with something

Maybe ten minutes on swings and TGUs might be a solution to get some strength in , but I'm not sure. Another option would be "easy strength" for clean and press or something similar?

Thoughts?

Two cleans, one press, three squats every minute, for five minutes. And alternating crawling and three pull ups rounds for the remaining five minutes.

Once this becomes easy, the rounds would be every fifty five seconds. Then, fifty. Then, forty five. .. until you got to the point of virtually zero rest.

Less than ideal, quite hard, but doable.

Another option less hadcore would be the Dan Martin Program Minimum: seventy five swings, twenty five goblet squats and twenty five push ups. No fixed rounds. No fixed reps. Just do it until it's done within the time frame. Add some inverted rows or pull ups and you are golden.

i will do 2 heavy sets of deadlift, and rest of the time i will pray that will work
Actually, this is the good question, probably because i'm in the situation right now. Have to balance work and study and family and still do not know how to spend good quality of time for workout.

Going back to the original query, I just ran across the video below by Joe Daniels. The idea of 50 heavy 2H swings in a row, everyday - quite intriguing! Now I appreciate it might not be in line with the SF philosophy, especially for doing before achieving Simple standard. Or looking at A+A knowledge. At the same time it fit's into S&S continious swinging test approach, but not on a daily basis. Still, if I really had 10 mins or less I would give it a go. I might at some point. 2 mins of excercise which leaves you with up to 8 mins of any warm-up you like ;).

Having come into kettlebell training as a 5+ year cyclist myself, I'll offer an opposing view. I think the swings were more of a benefit to me than the get-ups (although getups are great, too).

In my opinion, swings aren't for the cardio -- swings are for posterior chain development; i.e., athleticism.... which I did not get from the bike.
Can I give this post two likes?

Hmmm... 10 minutes, eh? Well, why not split S&S in two. Do the swings one day and the TGUs the next. This I think would still qualify as S&S because as long as you do the entire routine at least twice a week, you're still in the program.

You can do a lot in 10 minutes.

You don’t need to try and force some sort of plan like S&S into 10 minutes, but you could do 10 minutes of swings one day and 10 minutes of presses the next.

Or do swings every day and also GTG pushups and or pull-ups through the day.

On Sunday I would do nothing, take a break.

I would drive on Mondays so that once per week I had a 40 min workout to focus on loading the body with heavy weight and focus on strength. An ultra abbreviated 1 day per week American style barbell program, focusing on absolute strength, as far away as your Saturday race as possible, that's why I chose Monday.

For Tues thru Friday, focus on snatching. It has a lot of the same benefits of swings, but also has an overhead component. Sometimes do lighter weight and lots of volume. Other times do heavy weight and sets of 5. Roll the dice to decide.

Good luck!

For me: 36kg getups and one handed swings one day.

36kg A&A snatches for 10 minutes on other days.

Somehow, life magically gets in the way when it deems I need a rest day..

Thanks for the replies everyone. Since I made this thread, I've changed my plans a bit. Winter really hit so my riding dropped off to only 2-3 times a week for all of July until now.

I went back to S&S and got back to simple within about four workouts....the strength of TGUs comes back so fast!

I was doing ten minutes of original strength per day, two minutes per reset.

Now that I can meet Simple (and also 100 x 40kg two hand swings in 5m) I've moved to Q&D 2-3x per week. Riding 3-4x.

I did my first session of Q&D and loved it!!! Keeping original strength before and after rides and before bed too.

This was a an old thread but just a couple of ideas.

Maybe work on PTTP but modify it for one day a week. This will cover strength. Many people say when they have gone to a once a week program they have actually made strength gains.

A second option might be to leave a KB at work and attitude me at home and GTG swings and OAP. You already get your cardio work from your bike so GTG might be a great fit. This is if you have the option of dollars ng this at work. An option to is to GTG in the morning while you get ready and a couple of sets at lunch and then continue with GTG at night when you get home.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom