all posts post new thread

Kettlebell You have ten minutes a day.... what do you do for strength and mobility?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Having come into kettlebell training as a 5+ year cyclist myself, I'll offer an opposing view. I think the swings were more of a benefit to me than the get-ups (although getups are great, too).

In my opinion, swings aren't for the cardio -- swings are for posterior chain development; i.e., athleticism.... which I did not get from the bike.

Good and valid point! I'd then say alternate between days of one arm swings and days of get ups.

Ideally you posess so much physical autonomy that you don't need a warm up and can make the most out of the ten minutes.
If you don't you might want to obtain that.

The OP's stated passion is cycling.
@Dayz hasnt stated whether they want this 10 minutes of strength training to support or enhance their cycling, or to somehow build some level of strength beyond cycling, and to what end.

Does Dayz compete in cycling? (Even recreationally)

Many unanswered questions....

He is already devoting 14 hours per week to the bike. That's a lot of time. I think most of the benefits of exercising are already covered by this.

I have gotten good results doing 10 min swing sessions. Maybe 2/week you could do a full S&S, which would take 40 min, and the other days do 10 minutes of swings or TGU.

How about daily dose deadlift and tgu?
14hrs at say 20mph is not a lot of weekly mileage...

Lots of interesing ideas and opinions here! The key is actually how much you get from cycling, I can't advise as I'm too damn light and live in an area flat as a table, so I don't get any 'strength' kick out of it.

You could take the next half year to test each concept for a month and get back to us with your experiences. It's hard to beat Pavel's (or Pavels') opinion that S&S is already true minimum for all-round carry over to other sports. TGU had been mentioned as the pick for '1 excercise only' by many (just to recall latest blog article by Ollie Quinn From the Battlefield to Back Injury to Beast Tamer: Ollie Quinn’s Kettlebell Journey | StrongFirst), but maybe you're the one who will actually try it.

Your set of monthly test could/would include:
1. GTG - zero time, I would pick this if I would like to be honest with myself about total time including warm-ups, if 10mins can't really be extended.
2. TGUs only.
3. Swings only.
4. Snatch only (why not!).
5. C&P.
6. Reduced S&S.

I'm not mentioning proper S&S as we now it would work if you're able to give it 25-30min 4-6 day a week. But, honestly if you'd be doing it by the book you can cut your flexibility routines to zero (or simply crawl a few times instead of walking) and re-distribute that time.

Good luck with anything you pick and please share the experiences.

14hrs at say 20mph is not a lot of weekly mileage...
Well, I dont know much about biking, but I do know I dont spend that much time exercising and I'm happy with the results.

What I mean is that most of the benefits of exercising are already covered by those 14 hours. Cardio, endorphins, spending time outdoors, etc. A few gaps are left uncovered, maybe strength, mobility and posture I would say? That's why I'm suggesting deadlifts and TGU.

From prior discussions around minimalist programs, my opinion is that you need 3 components to just be generally strong:

1. Heavy posterior chain work - deadlift, or swing a kettlebell
2. Press something heavy (a bar, a kettlebell, your bodyweight, whatever)
3. Pullups - with weight if they are easy

I'd think you could get a lot of mileage out of doing one of those a day, and rotating through them.

I'm definitely NOT an experienced cycler, but my very limited experience has been that cycling and #1 don't feel great together.

I think if I only had 10 minutes, I wouldn't do anything. That said, I'm in the TGU camp for bang for the proverbial buck.

Use splits...

Day 1

10min snatch,.. 5-10 otm.
It's 50-100 snatches. Not bad at all.

Day 2

Clean and press ladders or pyramid

Day 3

Swings and goblet squats

1-10,10-1... One swing+10 goblets, 2 swings+9 goblets etc...

Looks good to me.

How's your posture? I'm sure resets are helping but I found when I was riding lots I became quad dominant, had tight hips and ugly kyphosis. S&S made a big difference right away for me. I also try to fit in short sessions with things like Armbars, windmills, Indian Clubs. Before rides I try to get my glutes firing with some bands and maybe throw in some mid-section work and band pull aparts. I'm riding a lot less these days (kids) but I actually feel better and more stable on the bike.

He is already devoting 14 hours per week to the bike. That's a lot of time. I think most of the benefits of exercising are already covered by this.

I have gotten good results doing 10 min swing sessions. Maybe 2/week you could do a full S&S, which would take 40 min, and the other days do 10 minutes of swings or TGU.

How about daily dose deadlift and tgu?

@Oscar , What kind of benefits are covered by the bike? Quality of movement, strength, power, etc.? I like the bike - to go for a trip to the nature, but not as exercise. In the end, it makes you better at sitting, and most of us already have tons of sitting in our lives.

@Oscar , What kind of benefits are covered by the bike? Quality of movement, strength, power, etc.? I like the bike - to go for a trip to the nature, but not as exercise. In the end, it makes you better at sitting, and most of us already have tons of sitting in our lives.

Don't dismiss cycling too early. As far as I know there are quite a lot of studies indicating various health benefits. For example, cycling to work seems to prevent a lot of modern man illnesses.

New Research Indicates Cycling To Work Has Extraordinary Health Benefits

Bent press. Each press incorporates a clean, t-spine rotation, assisted press, over head lock out, negative press, a partial squat. 10 mins alternating arms would be a decent session for strength and mobility.

Don't dismiss cycling too early. As far as I know there are quite a lot of studies indicating various health benefits. For example, cycling to work seems to prevent a lot of modern man illnesses.

New Research Indicates Cycling To Work Has Extraordinary Health Benefits

Cardiovascular? No doubts about that.

Cycling to the work (mean of transport)? Excellent, why not.

Can you get the cardiovascular benefits other, and better way (walking, hiking, running, Strong Endurance protocols)? Absolutely.

Are other physical attributes important - such as quality and variety of movement, breathing, strength, power, relaxation - important? Absolutely.

Hey guys, some more info:

My Monday to Friday rides are both my workouts and my commute. Instead of sitting in the car half an hour I'm on the bike one hour. 80% of the sessions are easy, the other 20% hard intervals (long, medium, short, sprints).

Saturday is a long group ride and odd race

Between full-time work, riding/ commuting , a one year old, that's why I'm so time strapped!

My posture is okay, I've made it a priority the last two years. I walk a lot for my job, and I stretch or do chin tucks / resets every single time I go to the bathroom and every shower. Plus ten minutes of resets per day

I'm leaning towards get ups at this stage. In winter I'll do an off season to develop more strength.

Thank you for the replies. Lots to think about

2 minutes of movement prep/mobility work followed by the Grad Workout (2 DCL + 1 DMP + DFSQ) programmed however which way I want for that day i.e. metcon, heavy, unbalance....etc

or 10 minutes of TGU because they can also be programmed different ways like pressing at each step, or deconstructing getting up and getting down.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom