all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Your Age and Maximum Heart Rate

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I periodically find a new max heart rate for myself. The formula is 220 - age, which for me would be 220 - 65 = 155

I hit 179 today and I'm sure that wasn't my max.

I'm collecting statistics - age as a percentage of MHR.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

Hi Steve

The history of that formula is very interesting. The best anyone can figure is that it started as a question about some data at a conference. Most have no idea where it came from, but it spread rapidly because it was convenient and provided, at best, an OK estimate. Research shows that the average error of that equation is +/- 8 beats per minute. Also, some people see a drop with age, and some (few) do not. The rate of drop with age varies too.

Overall, max heart rate does not predict fitness. For example, I tested two members of the Naval Academy cross country team. Both had a VO2 max in the mid 70s (elite). One had a max heart rate about 30 BPM higher than the other, but fitness was very similar (and performance).

In working with athletes, I have found that heart rate zone targets either have to be validated with testing, or reality checked with rating of perceived exertion.

But for your data point.... 52 years old, max HR about 180ish.

Oh, I can also say that despite decades of consistent endurance training, my max HR has definitely dropped with age. 160 BPM feels like 180 BPM used to feel like in my 20s and 30s.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom