all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Your Favorite Original Strength Book

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 7569

Which one is your favorite?

I personally like "becoming bulletproof" the most because of it's "play" programming that is has

they are all pretty similar distillations of the same idea "your body is made to move and here's how"

might be blasphemous but i do not own the original or the reloaded version!

anyway..

please let us know which one is your favorite and why

Not specifically about strength, but Art Devany's original essay on evolutionary fitness just blew me away and while it's seldom referenced today it was one of those rare bodies of work that actually heralded a new world

I personally like "becoming bulletproof" the most
i do not own the original or the reloaded version
Sorry for nitpicking, but that's like saying Episode IV is your favorite Star Wars movie, but you never watched any of the other 7 movies.

Becoming Bulletproof is the predecessor to OS. There are some updates, but owning BB you'll get almost anything that's included in OS (or OS reloaded).
Personally I'll have to go with OS reloaded, but the others (Restoration, Performance, Tactical Athlete) are equally good. I just chose OS reloaded, because the others are kind of like addons to it.
A lot of the same and overlapping info. You could easily combine all of the 4 books into one bigger OS book.

Last edited:
Sorry for nitpicking, but that's like saying Episode IV is your favorite Star Wars movie, but you never watched any off the other 7 movies.

Becoming Bulletproof is the predecessor to OS. There are some updates, but owning BB you'll get almost anything that's included in OS (or OS reloaded).
Personally I'll have to go with OS reloaded, but the others (Restoration, Performance, Tactical Athlete) are equally good. I just chose OS reloaded, because the others are kind of like addons to it.
A lot of the same and overlapping info. You could easily combine all of the 4 books into one bigger OS book.

nitpick away!

have you read habitual strength yet?

Tough call if I have to pick just one...then OS Reloaded.

In order though...

OS Reloaded
OS Performance
OS Tactical
Habitual Strength ( kind of like an Easy Strength like OS book. very Dan John with a DJ forward even)
OS Original 1st ed
OS Restoration
Becoming Bulletproof

Best thing outside of that is attend the Pressing Reset workshop!

Best thing outside of that is attend the Pressing Reset workshop!
+1
Nowadays I find myself using the manual you receive at the workshop instead of the other books.

have you read habitual strength yet?
I haven't.
Reading the summary to me it looked like a sort of "life coach" book and not something like the other OS books.
It appears to be about how to creat habits that affect your life in a positive way and not about the resets and why and how to do them. Is that correct @MikeMoran ?

Btw @Jak Nieuwenhuis if you like the "play" factor you should follow OS on facebook. Dani Almeyda posts a lot of her "flows" there.

The three I own, ranked in order I would recommend

OS reloaded
OS performance
OS restoration (would recommend only to coaches and trainers, IMHO if you are a trainee that needs this one, you also need a trainer)

I have two of the books on kindle, OS first edition and OS performance. I tend to work off the Instagram channel now or the youtube channel for ideas.
Strength matters put up an episode that showed about 20 minutes of a workshop. It was great. If there was a DVD that covered what happens at a workshop I'd definitely buy it.

Now to reawaken this thread - Should the OS books be read in a certain order? Like, could you dive straight into OS Performance or is there another book you should go through first?

Now to reawaken this thread - Should the OS books be read in a certain order? Like, could you dive straight into OS Performance or is there another book you should go through first?
I would suggest reading Pressing Reset before OSP. OSP assumes you know the basic philosophy and the resets and movements.

I don't think they sell the old version of OS performance anymore - the one by Geoff and Tim. What a shame.

My personal opinion is that "Becoming Bulletproof" is the best one to start with. Short, easy to read, clear and simple instructions.

"OS Pressing Reset" (the blue one made by Geoff and Tim) is probably my least favorite honestly... really long compared to the others, the book is pretty good though, just not my favorite by comparison.

"OS Restoration" would be a wonderful starting point. I really like that book.

"Habitual Strength" is a good standalone, also fits in with the others though

It seems like there's a lot of books, don't they end up repeating themselves a bit?

Which would be a good follow up after OS Reloaded?

What got me thinking of OS Performance was this chart that someone posted on the forum a little while ago.

OS_Performance_Chart.png

Performance Grid | Original Strength

It seems like there's a lot of books, don't they end up repeating themselves a bit?

Which would be a good follow up after OS Reloaded?

Yeah, there is some redundancy between books, but not as much as you'd think.

They're all pretty short, and each book gives you different variations of the same "Big 5" resets.

For me, the differences between the books were enough for me to buy almost all of them. I really like the way Tim thinks and writes, and I wanted to support what he was doing.

I finished reading OS Performance Next Level. I was hoping it would give instruction on some of the exercises listed in the chart posted a couple of replies up like scary baby rolls, half rolls, and lego rocking but that is not the case. I found some of them on youtube but am still looking for some of them. Is there a resource that has all of these?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom