all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Your favourite exercise for quad development that *isn't* a squat...

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chrisdavisjr

Level 7 Valued Member
I'm looking to build my quadriceps primarily to improve my weightlifting (also because I just want big ol' legs) and was wondering what exercises everyone here had found particularly effective (or particularly ineffective, for that matter).

Obviously squats (particularly front squats) are the numero uno* but I don't have regular access to a squat rack (I do have kettlebells from 16kg to 40kg, a barbell with 100kg of plates and some floor) so it'd be nice to find some supplementary exercises I can fit in outside of my gym sessions.

To get the ball rolling, I did find that regular sprints up stairs worked wonders for my quads. It might be worth including more leg power drills to see if that'll spur on some growth.

*Leg press and knee extension machines don't count, obviously.

If you're opposed to squats because you don't have a rack, how about zercher squats?

Chris,

If you want to fry your quads without squats there are dozens of options. I train year round for mountain hunting in Alaska and focus heavily on my quads for obvious reasons and the most effective quad developers I have found aside from BB FSQ and Back Squats are as follows:

- Loaded single leg lunges
- Low walking lunges
- Sled/Tire push and pulls. I will load sleds and tires in excess of 300 lbs. Front drag down rear drag back. You will find new muscles in your quads.
- Plate pushes (45lb) on turf or some other low friction surface, attacks at different angle then the tire/sled.
- Weighted step ups for time or reps
- Jump squats loaded or unloaded
- Jumping lunges loaded or unloaded

There are more, but these are my favorites. Rob Shaul from mountain athlete has a great complex on his site called the quadzilla complex, if that is all you ever did you would have some powerful legs.

Hope this gets the mental juices flowing.

I started adding in Sissy Squats - IMHO they are a close cousin to the Hack Squat with more core activation.
I no longer feel like my quads need extra work and (at the risk of TMI) have mothballed all my knit boxers as the legs don't fit anymore.

I know they are looked upon with the same scorn as barbell curls in the squat rack but I've always got excellent results from the leg press. High volume, 20+ reps, HIT style single set to failure

Forward leopard crawling hits my quads pretty strongly. Aleks Salkin has also reported a Double KB Front Squat PR after a month of crawling only.

Similar to belt squats, does anyone like dead squats (just holding a pair of heavy kbs between legs -- maybe standing on risers for extra range of motion)? Similar to Face the Wall Squats in S&S book, but without wall so knees can track over toes as needed. Feels I can put far more stress on legs than with goblet position.

Strength snobs are gonna hate on this, but if you're just after size, you need to cut to the chase, and get some garbage volume in. After your squats, burn yourself out on some leg extensions. You probably want to balance it up with leg curls. Isolation work is best way to get some pump volume without fatiguing your whole system. Post some pics when you're wearing spandex jeans. Good luck!

- Sled/Tire push and pulls. I will load sleds and tires in excess of 300 lbs. Front drag down rear drag back. You will find new muscles in your quads.
- Plate pushes (45lb) on turf or some other low friction surface, attacks at different angle then the tire/sled.
+1 to backwards sled drag and pushing across the floor.

Sitting on an invisible chair, supported by your back on a wall.
Isometric hold. Yes it's a squat.
An old classic.
I minute hold, rest x5. As a start, or end for that matter.
Stick your arms out at 90 for some shoulder grief.
No equipment other than a wall.

Sitting on an invisible chair, supported by your back on a wall.
Isometric hold. Yes it's a squat.
An old classic.
I minute hold, rest x5. As a start, or end for that matter.
Stick your arms out at 90 for some shoulder grief.
No equipment other than a wall.
I did tons of these when I was young and worked up to over 5 minutes at a time. You will definitely feel the burn...

Actually, been thinking about adding it into my current routine somehow.....it's a perfect minimalist movement, inspiring even Neil Diamond and immortalised in song....

"I am"... I said
To no one there
And no one heard at all
Not even the chair

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom