all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Your go to "park bench program" - training depression

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
A mental trick that I've started using to value recovery more, both between sets of A+A training and from training session to training session, is thinking of recovery less as a passive process than as active "metabolic work time."

So my training is "doing mechanical work" (which of course involves metabolic processes, but I ignore that in this mental framework). Then my recovery is "doing metabolic work."

This way, I can think of recovery not just as time I'm NOT doing something (lifting stuff), but as something I'm actively doing. I can ask myself, "Am I putting in enough metabolic work time?" And I can answer, "No, I have to 'work' harder!" Then I'm not being lazy by resting more, I'm actually doing more work.

It's a semantic game, but it has positively affected my attitude toward recovery.
This is nice. I like this approach of actually making one self more aware of the active part of being passive so to speak ... I need to tinker about this more while I rest :cool:

Hello,

Rest has always to be a part of the training in itself, but it can have several form: active recovery (walk with a dog, swimming on an easy pace, walking in nature, etc...) or simply taking time with friends and family, or even "individual activities", such as breathing, listening to music, etc... Doing al these things without overthinking, simply enjoying them to mentally get out for a while.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom