all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Your Pile of Bells

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Curious what manufacturers people are using and if DD is still as popular as it once was.
(Not trying to start a flame war, just honestly curious as I have to buy some more soon. Specifically
2x28kg)

@Steve Freides Thank you so much for the USAWA rule book. Ever since I first trained the Get Up, and discovered the Bent Press, I have been very interested in the older, less fashionable, more obscure lifts. These older gentlemen really knew how to develop, and express strength. I have been experimenting with different partials, and isometrics.

I just skimmed the manual, and it blew my mind. So many awesome lifts I had never even imagined. I will obsessively study it in detail. I have found an excuse to finally order the IronMind hip harness.

I had read a story about an 85 year old gentleman who trained the Health Deadlift, same as the Hand And Thigh, I think. The author said the gentleman had a special bar in the corner of the gym. He would walk in almost everyday, dressed very smartly, and socialize as he loaded 1200+ pounds on his bar, do a few reps, socialize as he put everything away, and leave. This story fascinated, and intrigued me. Had he discovered some secret to health, and vitality?

Thank you again. I cannot express to you how much I apreciate your advice. You are an inspiration.

Curious what manufacturers people are using and if DD is still as popular as it once was.
(Not trying to start a flame war, just honestly curious as I have to buy some more soon. Specifically
2x28kg)

I've ordered the cheapest bell at every 8kg upgrade. Honestly can't say who made my 48kg, Rogue's 40kg is fine. The CFF 32kg bell I bought has a large, slippery handle. At the time I was doing S&S and I hated it but I believe it increased my grip strength quite a bit and it doesn't bother me now.

My KB pile is comprised of the following:

-12kg Perform Better (PB)
-16kg 1 each DD and PB
-20kg DD
-24kg PB
-28kg 1 each Rogue and Ader
-32kg Ader
-36kg Rogue

I like all the brands that I own, for different reasons. The DD have the best finish, IMO. Rogues balance well and are a great value, but not my favorite finish. Some criticize Ader for being a bit slick, but i find it a welcome change from other finishes, such as Rogue. I will try a REP Fitness KB next, as they seem to be highly recommended and relatively local for me. It will be a 24kg (to make a pair with the PB) and an 40kg (because I don't own one yet).

I have tried CAP bells at gyms when travelling, and will say it is the only bell I truly despise. I don't ever forsee myself purchasing one.

I don't have a problem mismatching bells for pairs; just rotate the bells. However, if it is a size that you see yourself using for doubles, buying it as a set makes sense. I somewhat regret "going in" on a set of used Ader 32kg (when I could have easily afforded the pair) because an friend wanted a 32kg as well.

@Geoff Chafe, thank you and glad to help out. Maybe start a new thread about the hip and hand-and-thigh lifts. There are a few things to know about the gear, e.g., the IM belt isn't great for this.

-S-

@Flavius I have the same set (16-48) at my parents house, because as a part time student I still visit them often and don't want to carry a heavy KB with me when I use public transportation. So once I finish my degree, get a full-time job and move to a new city, I'll have a pair of every size.

@Kettlebelephant That is the same set I was thinking of getting. 16,24,32,40,48 a pair of each and a power tower of some sort should be enough for a lifetime of lifting I would imagine.

IMO the in-between sizes (20, 28, ...) are not necessary. When I did 10 TGUs with 16 I could do at least one with the 24. Same experience with the 24 and 32. When my press 6-8RM was the 16 I could press the 24 at least once. Again same experience with 24 and 32. So you can constantly progress through S&S and ROP with the 8Kg jumps.
That's just my thoughts for men who train alone. Instructors may need more variety for their clients/groups and for women the 8Kg jumps might be too big.

A full set of KBs and your own bodyweight is plenty to work with and you'll never run out of options. Although if I'll find the right place to stay I'll buy a bar+bumper plates for some deadlifts, but it's hard to find an apartement or loft where you're allowed to lift inside, especially dropping a few hundred pounds on the floor.

Last edited:
2x28kg)

I have mostly DD bells of various generations, going all the way back to the first batch DD produced (2001, IIRC) that were made in the USA. I like the proportions of the DD bells, and the E-coat finish is more robust (but not thick -- a thick painted finish is usually overly slick and leaves big divots when it inevitably chips) than painted or powder coated finishes. Unfortunately, they are very expensive. I got most of mine when they were the only brand available, I was able to take advantage of instructor discounts and buy them at a workshop that was within driving distance to avoid shipping.

Kettlebells USA is the only other brand that I know of that uses the E-coat finish. I haven't tried them, but according to a post here, the "classic" line is similar in proportions to DD, while the "Elite Precision" line has a larger handle window that is supposed to provide more room for two-hand swings and is proportioned so that each size sits on the same place on the forearm in the rack. If I were to buy more cast iron bells, I would probably give the KBUSA classics a try.

I also have a couple of Rogue bells, and they are alright. The powder coat finish feels fine, but chips easily. A lot of the bells on the market now seem to be the same generic pattern and powder coat as Rogue, with different branding.

I also have some older Perform Better bells that are terrible, although the newer Perform Better bells appear to be more similar to the Rogue pattern than the ones I have.

IMO the in-between sizes (20, 28, ...) are not necessary. When I did 10 TGUs with 16 I could do at least one with the 24. Same experience with the 24 and 32. When my press 6-8RM was the 16 I could press the 24 at least once. Again same experience with 24 and 32. So you can constantly progress through S&S and ROP with the 8Kg jumps.
That's just my thoughts for men who train alone. Instructors may need more variety for their clients/groups and for women the 8Kg jumps might be too big.

Although there are a lot ways to bridge 8kg jumps between the classic sizes, I get a lot of use out of the in between sizes. For me, 28kg is a sweet sport for being able to do a reasonable volume with good form for a lot of exercises (snatches, double cleans, presses, double front squats), where 24 feels a little too light, and 32 is a bit much. I also get a lot of use out of double 20s for complexes, where 16s are a little too light and 24s are a bit much.

For S&S, the in between sizes are probably not necessary for most people. For ROP, they may not be necessary but a lot of people find them helpful. And for a lot of programs, it makes a big difference to have the right size for the job.

I've got these:
4 kg rkc (for the kids and wife)
8 kg plastic coated cheap one (for wife and kids)
16 kg rkc (warmup mainly)
2x24 kg rkc
32 kg rkc
32 kg rogue (feels fine together with the rkc, at 3 rm double c&p now)
40 kg rogue (working on simple and sinister, at 10 mins for swings still)

Last edited:
20160719_112531-02.jpeg My pile
2 x 20kg
2 x 32kg
1 x 48kg

Finding jump between 32 and 48 a bit too much so contemplating a 40kg

The two 20kg ones are a London kettlebell and some no name brand. The 32kgs are wolverson and are great. The 48kg is a strengthshop powder coated and is a lot better quality than I expected (strengthshop often isn't high quality). The one bonus thing was I ordered the old style strengthshop 48 but got sent their newer version powder coated one which must have been an error on their part as it was more expensive!

Last edited:
From Perform Better:
4 kg cast iron
8 kg cast iron
12 kg cast iron vinyl coated

Bought the above three to get my wife and daughter interested in KBs. So far they have not seen much use. But my daughter is now more interested in weights so I will get her doing the swing.

From Kettlebells USA Paradigm Pro Competition bells
16 kg
20 kg
2x24 kg
30 kg
32 kg

MDUSA Competition KB
32 kg
So I have 2x32 kg KBs just different brands.

Kettlebells USA Gray Series
36 kg This was on closeout. They no longer make the gray series.

DD
40 kg
Bought this one used many years ago.

A brand I can't remember: 100 lbs or so. If you remember my story about "Big Black" with pictures you'll remember this very odd KB that I bought for basically the cost of shipping.

Kettlestack handle: Bought the high grade one. The grip diameter and shape is like a cast iron KB. I've loaded this to over 110 lbs. and it did fine. This one is for heavy one-handed swings and heavy jerks.

T Handle that holds Olympic plates. Bought off of ebay at a reasonable price. I think this was made by some guy who was a welder and he made fitness equipment for extra money. This is for "monster" heavy two-handed swings.

Too much?

2 x 16 - 1 Rawfit + 1 cheap and nasty
2 x 24 - Rawfit
2 x 24 - cheap and nasty
2 x 32 - cheap and nasty (one them isn't too bad, the other's handle is just too skinny for a 32)
1 x 40 - Strength Matters Black Series (very nearly Rogue quality and sadly discontinued)

I really must invest...

Doesn't look like anyone really uses bells heavier than the 48kg beast. Curious to know, anyone feel there is any value in buying a heavier bell?

I like @Paul Sellers description, "cheap & nasty". That's my bells. Tried to buy them locally so I didn't have to pay shipping. My 25, 45, and 55 lb. are from a local sporting goods place. The 35 is from Shields. The only place I could ever find a 32K was at a place in K.C., MO. I ordered the 40K on line when the outfit had free shipping. Man was the UPS guy pissed when he came over. It was shipped in a cardboard box. Imagine what kind of shape the box was in after being shipped halfway across the U.S. I wanted a 48 but couldn't find one, I sold some old hockey equipment to Play It Again Sports, I had credit there so they ordered and I got the 100 lb. the biggest one they could get from their supplier.

Maybe someday I'll try to get fancy and buy a metric set.

I have an 8, two 12's, 16, 20, & 24 kilo. All Apollo except one of the 12's is a CAP. I do bottoms up presses with the smaller bells up to 16. I've stacked a 12 and 16 for a 28 Kg press. I'm a bit small and old to handle larger bells for anything other than swings. I have a home made T-handle Hungarian core blaster for heavier swings. Cheap to build and appears it will last, no problems.

I ordered the 40K on line when the outfit had free shipping. Man was the UPS guy pissed when he came over.
:D:D:D
I ordered my bells in one order. I don't now why Rogue didn't contract a haulage firm for the job. The poor UPS guy had to deliver 2x16, 2x24, 2x32, 2x40 and 2x48 all in one go...
I gave him a coke and money for a pizza because I felt so sorry for the guy.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom