all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Your Pile of Bells

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Flavius I think one of the reasons for not going over 48 kg is cost. Ader makes a 92 kg KB, but unless you're strong enough to press it, you'll really only use this for swings. Again if you're strong enough to do one had swings, you'll probably only do two-handed swings. And if all you're doing is two-handed swings you're better off with a plate loaded T handle.

Last edited:
@Flavius To answer your question about the merits of a heavier bell, it depends on what you want out of your KB training. If you want to increase max strength then a heavier bell is the way to go. There have been studies showing good carryover from heavy swings to deadlift strength and even Olympic lifting. Heavy bells are also fun to play with. They look cool. If money were no object I'd buy the Ader 92 kg KB just for the coolness. But if your goal is to build strength endurance and power endurance, then there is an important lesson to be learned from Girevoy Sport training. Start with a light KB, get to a certain number of reps, then go to the next weight. Sure, some strength is useful in GS, but it is better to use a a light to heavy "bottom up" training approach than "top down."

View attachment 1002

The 48kg is a strengthshop powder coated and is a lot better quality than I expected (strengthshop often isn't high quality). The one bonus thing was I ordered the old style strengthshop 48 but got sent their newer version powder coated one which must have been an error on their part as it was more expensive!

1x20, 2x24, 2x28,2x32, all jordan fitness 2x40 strength shop

It was my first order and I was really impressed with strength shop, got 2 40kgs and a dipping belt all of very high quality and free postage. Did not know that had an off brand reputation.

1x20, 2x24, 2x28,2x32, all jordan fitness 2x40 strength shop

It was my first order and I was really impressed with strength shop, got 2 40kgs and a dipping belt all of very high quality and free postage. Did not know that had an off brand reputation.
Think its more their Barbells and belts had a cheap reputation

@Cattleballs
Before my current bells I had a few competition bells from strength shop. The painting came off and stuck to my skin. I can't imagine that to be healthy. Also 4 out of 6 had some loose parts inside that made rattling sounds everytime you moved them. I've sold them to someone who didn't care, except for one 20Kg that I use for snatch practice. Although I grinded of all the painting.
I can understand why they have a bad reputation.

Here in Europe I'd only buy DD, Rogue or comp bells from Wolverson.

I am currently using only 32, 40, and 48. I find that limiting the weight options is very good.

Of course, in our gym, we have few tons of irons from 8 to 92 (!) kg. The photo below is form my home gym.12182785_10205806595699165_220250678083855962_o.jpg

My home gym:
8 kg
12 kg
2 x 16 kg
24 kg
32 kg ( goal bell - never used it )

All low quality, local brands cast iron bells.

Most of my training is done in a gym with chrome handles and rubber protected bells.

So I've determined that you are all evil! On my drive home from work all I could think about was marketing slogans for "Cheap and Nasty Kettlebells."

Cheap and Nasty Kettlebells: You're better off jerking something else.

Cheap and Nasty Kettlebells: There's worse ways to get hot and sweaty.

Cheap and Nasty Kettlebells: You'll bang more than your forearm.

Cheap and Nasty Kettlebells: Use all the chalk you want. Still won't feel smooth.

2x8kg
1 x 25lb
1 x 30lb
3 x 16kg (one's a comp bell)
3 x 20kg (same)
1 each 24kg, 28kg, 32kg, 40kg
...I might have a second 24kg around....

Hi everyone!

2 x 16 kg from Domyos, somewhat cheap but nicely built.
1 x 24 kg from Gorilla Sports, not very expensive and bought on the wave of enthusiasm, it has the thickest and slickest handle ever.
2 x 24 kg
1 x 32 kg, former three all from New Vitality, the best Italian brand to me (official supplier of the GS National Team), as inexpensive as they can be but boy they're made WELL!

I plan on adding (in this order) a 40 kg, a 48 kg and another 32 kg.

Google Translate is a wonderful thing. :)

Pavel, I'm sorry we didn't get to spend more time together over these past four days. I look forward very much to our paths crossing again in person.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom