all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Your Pile of Bells

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Current collection is 35lb, 45lb, 55lb, and 70lb. It seems to be a pretty good collection, with challenging but not insurmountable jumps in weight. I'm beginning to outgrow the 35lb, but it was my workhorse for months at the start. Likewise, it will be a while before I need something bigger than 70lb.

So I've determined that you are all evil! On my drive home from work all I could think about was marketing slogans for "Cheap and Nasty Kettlebells."

Cheap and Nasty Kettlebells: You're better off jerking something else.

Cheap and Nasty Kettlebells: There's worse ways to get hot and sweaty.

Cheap and Nasty Kettlebells: You'll bang more than your forearm.

Cheap and Nasty Kettlebells: Use all the chalk you want. Still won't feel smooth.

I still laugh when I read this.

Wow guys, you rock!

Thanks for ALL the kind answers to my question.

I think I'll follow @MikeTheBear and @Paul Sellers advices and drop the idea of buying competition bells: the price is not even near the one of a cast iron bell and Mister Seller has a really good point in his agile lifting theory!

Thanks also to @Tarzan , @Kettlebelephant and @Marlon Leon for the contribution.

Really, I'm positively impressed by this, thanks guys!

IMO the in-between sizes (20, 28, ...) are not necessary. When I did 10 TGUs with 16 I could do at least one with the 24. Same experience with the 24 and 32. When my press 6-8RM was the 16 I could press the 24 at least once. Again same experience with 24 and 32. So you can constantly progress through S&S and ROP with the 8Kg jumps.
That's just my thoughts for men who train alone. Instructors may need more variety for their clients/groups and for women the 8Kg jumps might be too big
I have to correct my own statement a bit:)
Last weekend I ordered a 8 & 12 for armbars (weights suggested by Dave Whitley) and because I introduced my current girlfriend to KBs;). While I was at it I bought a 36 out of a whim :p. Now I have used the 36 for two S&S sessions and have to admit that it's great.
To explain further...with the 32 my hips are almost too strong. If I go for max power (which S&S is about), the KB will come up almost too high, so you might aswell just snatch it -> I unintentionally reduce the power output.
The 40 on the hand is still too heavy for my grip. If I go for max power, the KB will fly out of my hand -> I unintentionally reduce the power output.
I had the exact same problem when going from 16 to 24 or 24 to 32.
With the 36 I can go max power with neither the KB coming up too high, nor loosing grip on it.
It's also better for TGUs.

I think with 4Kg instead of 8Kg jumps, you don't need progression tactics like introducing one rep at a time for TGUs, 2h-Swings with a bigger KB or reduced 1h-swing reps or things like that. After you're able to do 100 swings in ~7-8min and 10 TGUs in ~10-12min you can go right to 100swings and 10 TGUs with the KB that's 4Kg heavier (obviously with more rest).

Although I still say that you don't need the in-between sizes to progress through S&S or ETK, they make progressing much easier. Whether that's a good thing or not is up for yourself to decide. I'm happy with my decision to work up to Simple in 8Kg jumps, but now I'm also happy to know the benefits of the 4Kg jumps and I will use them in the future. :)

So I've determined that you are all evil! On my drive home from work all I could think about was marketing slogans for "Cheap and Nasty Kettlebells."

LOL, Just saw this. A Starwars moment popped into my head:

"That place… is strong with the dark side of the Force. A domain of evil it is. In you must go."
"What's in there?"
"Only what you take with you."
―Yoda and Luke Skywalker[src]

@TravisDirks I like that, and it's true.

Lots of Star Wars references can be applied to KBs and KB training.

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” – Yoda

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

“If there's a bright centre to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from.” - Luke Skywalker

"One thing's for sure, we're all going to be a lot thinner." - Han Solo

I introduced my current girlfriend to KBs

you make it sound like a test....

I've got a bunch of cheap (<£2 / kg) Bodymax brand kettlebells from Amazon which are surprisingly great,
12 kg (my first, bottoms-up work only now)
16 kg
24 kg
28 kg

Some wolverson black bells (nice, and way cheaper from their ebay shop than the web store for some reason - can be collected from Argos, which is hilarious for the look of surprise when they try to pick them up off the conveyor belt)
2 x 20 kg, 32 kg

And a 40 kg Jordan bell - horrible but the only 40 kg I could find in the UK (Bodymax are back in stock at Amazon nowso I have buyer's remorse). It's OK now after lots of remedial handle work, delivered on a pallet which I thought was overkill.

@krg it's for some reason got harder to get the heavier bells in the UK at the moment (probably with kettlebellfever becoming strength matters and shifting their focus...their black series is where my 48kg is from and it's a work of art). The only thing I'd suggest is Rogue's european shop, and the shipping that unfortunatly comes with it. It's a pity Wolverson don't do heavier bells.

Wolverson black series currently goes up to 48kg. Nice bells. With shipping only a bit cheaper than rogue (115 vs 134) when I looked but with the euro exchange rate it pushes rogue up even more

Strengthshop do larger bells and their newer powder coated ones are pretty good @DavThew I was surprised with the quality.

My 40kg is from what used to be Kettlebell Fever. It really is superb quality. I was looking forward to Santa bringing me a 48 from that establishment but alas it's not to be. Damn you James Breeze those bells were the biz! :oops:

Before I went back to school (before we moved to a smaller place without a garage ;)), our garage gym was loaded. We had a lot of weight, two racks, battle ropes, bells, power block dumbbells, even a GHD of all things. We sold most of it and re-invested in bells.

Right now we have pairs of Vulcan training bells form 8kg-28kg, a single 32kg, and a single 40kg. The 32 is Rogue, and the 40 is the Matrixx Classic from Kettlebells USA. We also have a third 12kg competition type bell from Kettlebells USA. If we ever buy more bells, they'll be from Kettlebells USA, too. They're just my preferred bell of all the ones we've either owned or used, and all but identical to DD IMO.

We also have a variety of bands, a TRX that doesn't get much use, this portable pull-up bar from Rogue, still have the pull-up/dip belt, and still have the weight belt from Best Belts. I dream of the day we can order a bar, some weight, and a rack again. Two bars preferred. A nice bearing bar, and a nice workhorse for the rack so I don't have to get worried about the knurling getting beat up. I have zero interest in getting another plyometric box or GHD. A bar jack would be luxury living.

Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 12.42.19 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 12.40.06 AM.png

@Glen - good to know about Wolverson's bigger bells . I haven't been on the website for a while, and the only thing I would next need would be a second 40kg....that's quite a long way away right now. One day I'll tackle ROTK with double 40's though!

Wolverson bells look really high quality and seem to get the thumbs up on the forum but the wide handle puts me off.

@Paul Sellers I only have a pair of 32s and the handle width hasn't been an issue for me. I'm not the tallest guy either at 175cm, but they habdle width seems pretty good for most things, and makes 2 hand swings significantly nicer.

@DavThew - thanks for the info :)

i have a couple of 24's with wide handles and find that when pressing if I get my hand into the corner the bell "flaps" around quite a bit in comparison to a narrower "standard" width handle, hence me preference. I suppose it's whatever you are comfortable with.

I've got my eye on the Strength Shop 32kg powder coated bells a the moment as possible replacements for my current "cheap and nasty" ones. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Cheap and Nasty Kettlebells: You're better off jerking something else.

Cheap and Nasty Kettlebells: There's worse ways to get hot and sweaty.

Cheap and Nasty Kettlebells: You'll bang more than your forearm.

Cheap and Nasty Kettlebells: Use all the chalk you want. Still won't feel smooth.

I've only just seen this and I'm creasing!!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom