all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Youtube: Why so few swings?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

4-bit

Level 5 Valued Member
So I've noticed that all the kb hardstyle swing videos I find follow the same pattern:

A great instructor talks about swing technique for about 5 minutes. Then, he or she demonstrates what a swing should look like, pulls off about 4 reps and then it's over..

Am I the only one who would absolutely love to see skilled people do long recordings of real workouts, such as one-handed 10x10 S&S hardstyle swing workouts with different kb weights?

Maybe this exists somewhere, but I've just never been able to find it?

(I went to a Girevoy Sports event before (longcycle: clean+jerk), and it was freakin' awesome. Even my wife got completely excited by it, and she doesn't even like sports. I can watch this stuff for hours)

So, my question is: Does anyone have any tips on where I can find good hardstyle kb recordings with a higher swing/talk ratio? :)

@4-bit

Here is another AnnaC video, from "The Sticky of Stickies " at the top of the kettelbell forum. There's a lot of great stuff in there. This particular one may be a bit old now, but I credit it with making my S&S sessions a lot better and less 'spazzy":

One Complete S&S Session

Basically, all @Anna C 's stuff is great and everyone should watch it all.
@Harald Motz is the person to watch to gape at high weights with great form.

That's impressive. And he misses a getup at 8:25 and has to lower the bell from the standing position, but gets back down and redoes the lift immediately. That's even more impressive.

Yes crazy strong! I would hurt myself even looking at a 60kg KB let alone lifting one...
However... (and I don't mean to diminish his effort) the KB swing standard for S&S is chest height. Not waist height. (Maybe the camera angle?)
Impressive? Yes.
Meet the standard? No.

Yes, and on the 60kg video the get-ups are speedy at 15 seconds or less... I would rather see closer to 30 sec for a get-up, and certainly recommend that for daily practice. People get a lot more benefit out of the get-up if they give themselves more time under tension. It's one of the things I feel like was one of my "secrets to success" in S&S. But still, strong work!!

Last edited:
The first time I saw someone doing swings I thought it must be one of those trendy new things people do in health clubs. I didn't think it would be of any value at all. After practicing with kettlebells for a year and a half they are now my favorite exercise. I enjoy doing swings and they are the foundation of my physical training.
Than being said, I would rather watch paint dry than watch long videos of someone doing swings.

True. I did not look at it from that perspective...

The video is labeled Sinister however...

Last edited:
However... (and I don't mean to diminish his effort) the KB swing standard for S&S is chest height. Not waist height. (Maybe the camera angle?)

I looked a few swings in slow motion and they seem to reach at least the sternum. Most seem a bit higher. Maybe a camera angle issue as you said. If I try to reproduce the position at the top of the swing myself, I get about sternum high.

Well, way outta my league in any case. No arguing, he's a strong fellow.

I guess it begs the question (if anyone really cares...) What does 'chest height' mean? I suppose the chest comprises a zone from the bottom of the pecs to the top?
With my paltry efforts with KB's up to 32kg, I have always considered chest height to be the top of the chest; so with my arm pretty much parallel to the ground in the top position.

And as @Smile-n-Nod pointed out; I probably misspoke a bit when I inferred it wasn't to S&S standard, as there is no 60kg standard (as far as I am aware anyway). So I guess any height is fair game...

You have simple. Then sinister. Then you got Levi.

Levi Markwardt with 60kg swings and 68kg get ups.

His training partners aren't doing so bad either.

Those swings with the 60 kg are very different to what I do with the 24. They also look very different from the SF standards video. They look more static, those guys are barely moving.

The hardstyle swings I have seen, which I try to copy, look a lot more like a broad jump. At the bottom, the back is almost parallel to the floor, the hips knees and ankles are in flexion, etc. Those swings with the 60 have no resemblance to a jump IMO. Is it because it's too heavy, or are those swings not HS?

Those swings with the 60 kg are very different to what I do with the 24. They also look very different from the SF standards video. They look more static, those guys are barely moving.

The hardstyle swings I have seen, which I try to copy, look a lot more like a broad jump. At the bottom, the back is almost parallel to the floor, the hips knees and ankles are in flexion, etc. Those swings with the 60 have no resemblance to a jump IMO. Is it because it's too heavy, or are those swings not HS?
That video really speaks for itself...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom