all posts post new thread

Barbell Zercher-squat and Press questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ny Wc

Level 2 Valued Member
1. How does strong first teach the standing barbell press? Do you pause long between reps, use stretch reflex, or do you use the built up tension after a quick pause?

2. How do you bail out of a zercher squat? I have long legs and I think the bar would hit my knees if I tried to drop it.

My goal for the press is to press 200# (again).

Taedoju- Kneel down so that the bar falls forward off your knees. Wouldn't that be really dangerous with significant weight?

@Ny Wc

1. Different variations for different reasons - with a pause, regular tempo, faster presses... Apart form SFL Course or Cert I would also recommend Power to the People Professional - it has an excellent chapter on Military Press.

2. The bar should touch on the top of your knees, so it should be fairly easy to bail out from the ZSQ - just open your arms and the barbell will roll out forward.

1-Practicing overhead press off pins in a power rack can get you over a plateau. Set pins at rack height, forehead height, sticking point, or high for lock outs. Takes away some fatigue of hold weight in rack with more focused energy into pressing. Lock outs can get you used to holding heavy weight overhead, add shrugs or step outs for an extra bonus.

2-I like to lay the bar back on my quads, take a snatch grip and lower bar back to ground. If you are worried about bailing on sets why not use a squat rack. It may give you more confidence on that last rep if you feel safer.

A squat rack only limits your range of motion if you set the arms too high. Set them just below the bottom of your squat. If you bail out, you might end up falling on your butt, but the bar will be on the rack, and not on you. Bailing out then simply becomes embarrassing instead of dangerous.

1. you can order the dvd of strong first from amazon about barbell technique
How to Overhead Press With Mark Rippetoe | The Art of Manliness - this is one of possible way to do so
i do it the way Justin does it 3 Press Fixes - so i use a little bounce to start each rep

2. Bailing out - put it back on your knees then kneel and let the barbell fell forward, or dropping it forward is the only ways i know

taedoju - Thank you for this, the 3 fix video was excellent. I have been guilty off to wide of grip, I knew it felt off, now I have some validation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom