all posts post new thread

Barbell Zercher Squat Breathing Technique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

KIWI5

Level 4 Valued Member
I find it more than a little tough holding my breath during the Zercher squat- is it a bad idea to let a small bit of air out at the bottom- take a quick nasal inhale and then blast back up? I tried this yesterday during the '6 Singles' day of EES. Seemed to help- obviously the key is to not lose tension. Or should I just stop being a total failure and deal/learn with the pain?

I may have answered my own question- just watched this video and lifting off the pins could be the answer. I'll try this, as well as the ''Full Cycle Zercher". I refuse to give up on the legendary ZERCHER SQUAT...

I mostly breath at the top when it's easiest to maintain tension while breathing.

When I start going 'heavy' - despite taking a deep belly breath at the top, as soon as I step back with the bar- I feel like I immediately need more oxygen. But the heavy weight makes it hard to get that breath in! The attached video is the answer, either I can start from the rack, or keep doing what I've been doing which is to momentarily rest my elbows on my thighs at the bottom and sniff some much needed oxygen. I'm also going to practice just stepping back with a heavy weight, to get accustomed to the pressure. I'll get there...

The vast majority of heavy items I lift (outside my top secret training facility) are lifted from the ground. So my training should mirror this. Enter the 'full cycle Zercher squat'. Starting the Zercher from the bottom instead of un-racking from chest height makes more sense and allows me to take a deep belly breath at the bottom and hold this breath until I am back down. Perfect. Using lighter loads, I am practicing longer time under tension with Zercher carries. My next cycle of Even Easier Strength starts Tuesday, so there will be plenty of 'Zerching' in the future.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom