all posts post new thread

Barbell Zercher Squat Critique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abdul-Rasheed

Level 6 Valued Member
In an effort to replace the back squat with Zercher if at all I end up doing the Faleev's program, I have practiced a few Zercher squats today. I didn't get to do a lot of research. I watched a few videos and tried to apply principles I think I know from KB squats. I am sure there are tons wrong here. This was the last set using 85 lbs. Thanks in advance.

I'm doing zercher squats as well. I'm not experienced, so take it with a grain of salt:

- the initial deadlift and set up of the bar on the knees looks a bit sloppy. I would try to avoid lifting with bent arms even if it's light. Same for the final rep.

- the lower back of the first squat seems to round a bit. Next reps seem better.

@Abdul Rasheed, when squatting in any form, it's important not to let the hips come up first. Imagine that you are driving the bar up, not trying to stand up with your legs, or imagine you are trying to drive your head straight up. In a conventional deadlift, if the hips come up first, you can still try to muscle the bar up, but in a squat of any significant weight, you'll just get buried by the bar.

-S-

Yes, in addition to the above, hips back more. Your zercher squat looks more like a goblet squat, as I did when I first tried them. I was corrected at the SFL to sit the hips back as you would in a back squat, deadlift, and kettlebell swing. Tailbone back to 8:00 on a clock (where goblet squat is 6:00, front squat is 7:00, good morning is 9:00.)

And, to quote @Steve Freides, "put some weight on that bar". :)

@Oscar I will look for some videos on the site to rectify it by watching others doing it

@Steve Freides I watched the video a couple of times. I can "see" the mistake.

@Anna C yeah, goblet squat style seemed natural to me. Good clues on various types of squat. As for more weight, I am a poor weakling compared to anyone here! 85lbs was heavy for me. ;)

Thanks all for your inputs.

I agree with the above comments but have a question for you all.

At my gym I was taught taking it off the rack and the rack is set low as if at the bottom of your squat, is this correct or is the floor correct?

I see pro's and con's to both. The floor gets a free deadlift in which is always nice. The rack is easier for those with mobility issues I would imagine

@Kylie Tullipan, the full movement - which, btw, is contested in the USAWA and elsewhere - requires starting and ending from the ground. Since most of the benefits come from the squat portion, it's common to start and end with the bar in the rack.

-S-

Hi @Kylie Tullipan and welcome!

At the SFL we only did it from the rack. We set the rack up a little below elbow-height, walked up to it, carefully wrapped the elbows around it, got tight under it, stood up and walked out similar to front squat, back squat, good morning, military press, etc., do the work set, then walk back in and rack.

The deadlift technique is also correct, as Steve says, but I haven't practiced it. Check out Harald Motz Instagram for some great examples. (haraldmotz)

We should add, in the interest of completeness, that there is also a Zercher _deadlift_ in addition to the Zercher _squat_. In the Zercher DL, you put the bar into the crooks of your elbows while it's still on the ground, so some good mobility and flexibility is a must.

Me doing Zercher SQ @ 225

Me doing Zercher DL @ 175 & 200 lbs.

Both are about 3-1/2 years ago.

-S-

At my gym I was taught taking it off the rack and the rack is set low as if at the bottom of your squat, is this correct or is the floor correct?

Ah, just found something else in my SFL manual. It's short so I'll quote it directly. "An effective ZSQ variation and an effective DL assistance exercise is off power rack pins set level with the top of your knees."

That sound like what you are talking about there.

So, 3 good ways to ZSQ: off the floor, off the rack pins set low, and off hooks set to just below elbow height.

As for the deadlift to squat version, it says: "If you do not have a power rack or squat stands, you may deadlift the bar to your knees, then squat under it, and hook the elbows under. This is exactly what old-timers did."

Last edited:
For anyone interested in the USAWA approach to these, go here:

http://usawa.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/RULEBOOK-10th-Edition.pdf

and hit Ctrl+F (Windows) or Cmd+F (Mac) and search for Zercher, then go through the matches. They have only the "Zercher Lift" which is our Zercher Squat, and something else called the Scott Lift where the lift starts with the bar on the knees (and I guess you get it there however you like, or with help).

You can also search IAWA Rule Book and find the international rule book - I haven't looked there.

-S-

NB: if you watch some truly heavy Zercher deadlifts, you'll see the hips come up first, and it becomes very much a rounded back lift, almost a straight leg DL with your elbows almost to the ground. You can only bring the bar up so that your torso is parallel with the ground with a relatively light weight, in my experience.

I'm going to get back to these after my meet...

-S-

You could just drive your squat up and let it drag your Zercher up with it like this guy did:

@Bill Been, are you suggesting that the lifter in the video worked on increasing his regular squat and that his Zercher just went up as a result? If so, what in the video suggests that course of events?

-S-

WOW, that's impressive. 1) It's a nice ZSQ, 2) 405 lb!?! How do the elbows take that? He must be doing heavy ZSQs just to get the elbows used to it! 3) I love that basketball bounce and catch, though there's no way I'm ever trying that myself...

3) I love that basketball bounce and catch, though there's no way I'm ever trying that myself...
Oh yeah!
That's an impressive display of high reflexive strength right there. If you don't have tremendous reflexive strength the bar would just pull you over.

We should add, in the interest of completeness, that there is also a Zercher _deadlift_ in addition to the Zercher _squat_.
Arguably the best lift (together with atlas stone lifting) to replicate real life requirements.
The competition DL is a nice lift for teaching people to lift something of the ground and strengthen the required muscles, but in reality most of the time you pick things off the floor they are either higher (crates etc.) or level with the ground (stones etc.) and everyone who has DLed some weight knows that those few inches between competition bar height and the actual floor make a big difference (especially for your back).

You could just drive your squat up and let it drag your Zercher up
Took me a while to understand this. I believe you are suggesting to work on back (or front?) squat? The reason I chose to do zercher was because the gym I have access to does not have a squat rack.

A thread from our old forum about the Zercher DL

Zercher Deadlif

I am now just _dying_ to get doing these again but it'll have to wait a couple of weeks.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom