all posts post new thread

Barbell Zercher Squat form

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ny Wc

Level 2 Valued Member
I've been watching youtube videos of zercher squats and I noticed something. People tend to let their hips shoot up faster than the bar? Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the bar rise with your hips? Some people even let there hips shoot up so early that it seems like the squat doesn't actually start until the hips are already above the knees. Is this something you see often when watching the squat in person. I would think that the weight is too heavy if you can't raise your hips and the bar together?

On a side note, I don't even know how vertical the torso should be. Someone on the form said to do them like a back squat but i'm not totally sure what that means. I would think that a front squat with the knees way out infront of the toes is unnecessary so the back squat seems about right but are we talking oly. high bar, low bar, or in between?

P.s- Since I'm talking about the Zercher-squat, I'll throw this in. How much weight do you think the arms can handle? My bones are probably not as thin as I think they are but they certainly aren't thick. Can you get to 500# with thin bones?

Last edited:
The barbell-lifter system should move together as a high tension unit. But, as fatigue sets in and power leakage occurs the hips may start rise before upper body. Inflexibility can also cause this. How much you allow this to happen is up to you, but the stricter the form the safer the exercise.

Strongfirst teaches a bodybuilding style squat. Where you sit back, and a vertical shin angle. I prefer Olympic style squats, because I get tons of posterior chain loading with other exercises.

How much weight you can hold in the Zercher rack position depends more on upper back and torso strength, and pain tolerance than arm strength.

Ill answer your last question.
Ive personally seen strongman Bud Jerreries do a bottoms up Zercher lift( from the pins to a standing position) with 635 pounds and he has done over 650 pounds.
It is hard on the forearms and could cause some brusing.
Two things that can make it a bit better is using a thicker bar like the buffalo bar and thin neoprene elbow sleeves.

If you do them below knee level you will lean forward no matter what.
So with just squatting you may only want to go to touching your legs and back up.
Pavel has done the the percher lift from the floor in a very bent over position that requires extraordinary flexibility and mobility.

Ill answer your last question.
Ive personally seen strongman Bud Jerreries do a bottoms up Zercher lift( from the pins to a standing position) with 635 pounds and he has done over 650 pounds.

Bud Jeffries is an absolute mutant. One of the best people to follow on instagram.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom