all posts post new thread

Barbell Zercher squat help, please!!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marty

Level 6 Valued Member
I’ve recently started using the Zercher Squat in my practice (about 3 weeks). I’ve only ever worked on goblet and double kettlebell front squats. Disclaimer: I’m weak. Here are 3 videos…135, 185, and 195. Help! Suggestions and coaching would be greatly appreciated. It’s clear that the sequencing is way off (Good morning squat), but I’m not sure how to fix it. Thanks so much for the help!!!

Zercher @ 135

Zercher @ 185

Zercher @ 195

Not too bad! Lean over more on the way down -- your bottom position looks good to me (basically low-bar hip position, 8:00 on the "SFL Clock - this is the way Doc Hartle teaches it), so just commit to that back angle a little earlier, and try to match descent and ascent.

Then, to prevent the ascent from getting too horizontal as far as the back angle (hips rising before shoulders):
  • Focus on keeping the weight mid-foot throughout the movement, press hard into your toes
  • Pick a spot for your gaze (windowsill, perhaps) and fix it there
  • Keep abs, lats, and upper back TIGHT!
I would say pattern your movement with the lighter weight and do your working reps (2-3 sets of 5 or whatever you're doing in your program) where you can keep that good movement pattern, and increase from there while maintaining the pattern.

I've only watched the first one. So its obvious that your hips are coming up first so that means weaker quads compared to posterior chain strength.
You need to focus on getting stronger quads. Front squats, goblets squats and lighter weight zercher (to dial in your technique) should help with that.

Last edited:
Thanks so much, @Anna C and @daniel vintila! This is the information and advice I was looking for.
I’ve recently started using the Zercher Squat in my practice (about 3 weeks). I’ve only ever worked on goblet and double kettlebell front squats. Disclaimer: I’m weak. Here are 3 videos…135, 185, and 195. Help! Suggestions and coaching would be greatly appreciated. It’s clear that the sequencing is way off (Good morning squat), but I’m not sure how to fix it. Thanks so much for the help!!!

Zercher @ 135

Zercher @ 185

Zercher @ 195
Looks pretty solid. I agree with @Anna C on her points on focal point and staying tight.

Picking a forward gaze focal point and mentally cueing myself to aim the bar to make contact as far up my thighs as possible at the bottom really helped me stay upright & balanced over mid-foot when I started doing these. Maybe give both of those a try.

Looks pretty solid. I agree with @Anna C on her points on focal point and staying tight.

Picking a forward gaze focal point and mentally cueing myself to aim the bar to make contact as far up my thighs as possible at the bottom really helped me stay upright & balanced over mid-foot when I started doing these. Maybe give both of those a try.
Thanks @Chase Hines !!!! Your Zercher Squat thread was what got me interested. When you say"up your thigh," I assume you mean toward your knee? Just making sure.

Thanks @Chase Hines !!!! Your Zercher Squat thread was what got me interested. When you say"up your thigh," I assume you mean toward your knee? Just making sure.
Great question! No actually away from the knee. Towards your hips. The bar is going to land close to the knee no matter what but if your mentally aiming it to make contact a little higher just helps you stay more upright.

Great question! No actually away from the knee. Towards your hips. The bar is going to land close to the knee no matter what but if your mentally aiming it to make contact a little higher just helps you stay more upright.
Got it!!! Thanks. I’ll give that a try.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom