all posts post new thread

Barbell Zercher squat numbers

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

FinlayB

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello

I have been looking around for what would be considered a respectable Zercher squat but i cant see to find any info.

Fir example. 2x bw is something that most people chase for deadlift. Maybe 1.5 xbw for back squat.

What would people here say is good fir Zercher squat

From my experience the weight ratios look something like this for most people:

FS < ZS < BS < DL

With that in mind, a nice entry level goal would be ZS your body weight for sets of 5 comfortably (maybe three sets of five reps). Once you have that in the bank, then you can decide what a heavier / more ambitious goal might be.

I think zercher and bench press should be about the same. 1.25x BW is the SFL standard for bench paress which I think is just fine.

I can ZS a good deal more than I can bench. One data point ...

-S-

ZSQ is an exercise, not (standard) competition lift, hence, no need to find out 1RM. I would personally focus on increasing 3RM:

First goal - triples with 1x BW
Second goal - triples with 1,25x BW
Third goal - triples 1,5xBW

That is what I did in my ZSQ practice. My favorite squat, I love it.

I like Zercher Lift singles with on the 1 or 2 minute. For Zercher Squat 3-5 rep sets. Zercher Lift plus Zercher Squat is a good combo also.

Anybody have a good video of zercher technique? I just started doing them and they feel very much like a front squat technique.

Anybody have a good video of zercher technique? I just started doing them and they feel very much like a front squat technique.

This video shows how we were taught to do them at SFL -- pretty much the low bar back squat movement pattern. The first 5 reps in this video are that. The 6th rep in the video is more of a front squat or goblet squat pattern -- many people do them this way and I'm sure it's fine, but isn't the "right' way according to the SFL. As Doc Hartle says (paraphrasing), if you're going to front squat, then why not put the bar on your shouders? You're hurting your elbows for no reason.

Also with the more "leaned over" torso, the abs and back get more work -- one of the bonuses of the Zercher.

I practice/start my Zercher's from the 'dead stop' or bottom position and find that I tend to have a more goblet squat type position- but I have no pain in my elbows from this position. I find that this position closely mirrors how I pick up objects in 'real life' as well so the practical benefits are huge. I'm just finishing with a cycle of Easy Strength Zercher squats and have put around 15kg onto my Zercher- so I'm now capable of lifting my (83kg) bodyweight! Love that Easy Strength program.

If you do a single rep from the floor, I think all the questions about what sort of squat form you'll be mimicking will be answered. Taking it out of a rack allows variations that singles from the floor don't. Try the traditional version - deadlift, set the bar on your thighs near your knees, get your elbows under it and stand up. On the way down, put the bar back on your thighs near your knees, switch to gripping it with your hands, and lower to the floor.

For most people, the need to keep the thighs parallel to the ground so that the bar doesn't roll will mean a fairly hip-hingy, back-squat-like pattern.

-S-

I also try to get into a more front squat position for the extra mobility after the bar is in my arms but it's much easier for the middle reps than the first. If I load it too heavy it defaults to back-squatty though.

@Bro Mo, I'm with Doc and the program here - if you want the extra mobility, front squat, and keep your ZSQ back-squatty in its movement pattern.

-S-

This video shows how we were taught to do them at SFL -- pretty much the low bar back squat movement pattern. The first 5 reps in this video are that. The 6th rep in the video is more of a front squat or goblet squat pattern -- many people do them this way and I'm sure it's fine, but isn't the "right' way according to the SFL. As Doc Hartle says (paraphrasing), if you're going to front squat, then why not put the bar on your shouders? You're hurting your elbows for no reason.

Also with the more "leaned over" torso, the abs and back get more work -- one of the bonuses of the Zercher.

Hmmm.... if the properly-executed Zercher Squat mimics the mechanics of a low bar back squat, but cannot be done with anywhere near the load*; and if one should not attempt to make the Zercher squat mimic the Front Squat due to the fact that you could simply Front Squat with greater load and zero pain..... an obvious question springs to mind.

Anybody wanna venture a guess what the “elephant in the room” question might be?

* We have one lifter here who has driven his Zercher Squat up to 83kg body weight. This is viewed as strong progress and a ringing endorsement for his programming. I have very, very, very recent experience coaching a 50+ year old female to back squatting 100kg for 3 sets of 5 and a 15 year old, 68kg boy to 114kg for 3 sets of 5. I would say this is a fairly strong indication that Low Bar Back Squats have a significantly higher loading potential than Zercher squats.

I don't have a rack and don't want to clean it up because I don't like reverse cleaning it to set it back down or dropping steel plates from the rack.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom