all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Zone 2 cardio question

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
An interesting read from a world record holder ultra marathon er.
In her words, “Long runs are overrated.”

It's all relative of course! Still, bone and tissue adaptation and the view that higher frequency running is an alternative model.

A worthwhile read - thank you for posting. The advice given rings true to me.

The counterpoint to this would be muscular hypertrophy. From the strength training of, well, in my case, me, I know that frequent training with a focus on overall volume is the best way to improve skill without adding muscle, and we also read about in Steve Justa's book, if memory serves, where he talks about the guy whose place he took for a while and how he lifted heavy things all day long and never got big. (If anyone has the book handy and wants to quote a paragraph or two, that would be great; I'm not finding my copy ...) And ultra-distance runners are certainly interested in improving without hypertrophy so, although I am more muscular than they are because I'm a powerlifter, we still are at least distant cousins when it comes to training philosophy in some ways.

-S-

Yeah… great article by one of the best ultra runners out there.

On the other hand Kilian Jornet also one of the best (if not the best) logs over 1000hrs a year and also may train twice a day, but some of those sessions are up to 10 hrs in duration, so he’s definitely not skipping the long run.

As an aside on the benefits of ‘Z2’ training here is a snippet of his HR distribution over a 4 week period. Again please bear in mind, possibly the top guy in the world.

30FECE48-B001-4F39-81BE-96BBC7465F31.jpeg

And as usual there is more than one way to skin a cat…

“Heavy Hands” by Dr. Len Schwartz in an old but still relevant resource. I adjust the target HR to MAF protocols. Getting the arms involved is very effective. The only downside for me is when it’s dark and the walking conditions are slick it’s tough to get in the right zone so a weighted vest or pushing the sled is a little more effective. I’ve found the best weights are weighted vest inserts (3 pounds) that I secure in my hands with the ends of tube socks.

And as usual there is more than one way to skin a cat…

That's the thing. Also, from someone who has accrued many miles, saying there's no reason to accrue many miles has to be viewed backwards....an aerobic base and efficiency has been established already so perhaps not so much is needed!

There is this what's best or optimal. Favouring intervals, or a less is more approach, over longer distance does result in a non zero benefit to the aerobic system.

Borrowing the idea from Tim Anderson, you can do a surprising amount of work in just ten minutes.

Session One
-
Any reasonable number of: front squat, brief pause and push press (not a thruster, two separate lifts) on the odd minutes.
- Any reasonable number of: pull up, brief pause and leg raise on the even minutes.

Session Two
-
Any reasonable number of: RDL, brief pause at the bottom, bent over row and then finish up the RDL on the odd minutes.
- Any reasonable number of dips on the even minutes.

Far from ideal, but those ten-minute workouts would tick a lot of boxes.

Dude, if I'm doing front squats, I'm barely through my warm up, warm up sets, and just doing my first working set at the 10 minute mark.

Dude, if I'm doing front squats, I'm barely through my warm up, warm up sets, and just doing my first working set at the 10 minute mark.
I assume this would be after a warm-up to your working weights and obviously not for the purpose of increasing limit strength.

edit: thinking about traditional barbell work in a 'zone' kinda way requires a bit of a shift... It's kinda like rest-pause method but kinda not. I've done a lot of 30+ minute back squat sessions trying to keep HR around 70%. Is that SO different than, for example, cycling hard and occasionally coasting, or rucking and taking a breather once in a while (but not removing your pack)?

Last edited:

As I said... far from ideal, but good enough for people interested in longevity and, maybe, looking good.

The same can be said for, say, running 30 minutes daily at a Maffetone pace. Hardly a peak performance program, but adequate enough for most.

I assume this would be after a warm-up to your working weights and obviously not for the purpose of increasing limit strength.

edit: thinking about traditional barbell work in a 'zone' kinda way requires a bit of a shift... It's kinda like rest-pause method but kinda not. I've done a lot of 30+ minute back squat sessions trying to keep HR around 70%. Is that SO different than, for example, cycling hard and occasionally coasting, or rucking and taking a breather once in a while (but not removing your pack)?

Correct.

Sir, just as an information on Huberman. He doesn’t claim to be an expert on S&C. He is a scientist who is capable of going through researches effectively, and sharing the summary of those researches and invites the experts on different topics to his podcast.
I see him everywhere and often it seems that he feels free to swing waaaaay out of his lane (I say "seems" because I've never bothered to actually watch any podcasts w. him in it). I could be wrong about the guy but I kinda doubt it. If you like him and find the information he presents useful, then great but yeah...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-04 5.02.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-04 5.02.11 PM.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: Ege
I see him everywhere and often it seems that he feels free to swing waaaaay out of his lane (I say "seems" because I've never bothered to actually watch any podcasts w. him in it). I could be wrong about the guy but I kinda doubt it. If you like him and find the information he presents useful, then great but yeah...
A few years ago I used to like him in his earlier years of fame, at times when I was following youtube channels for S&C information. Once I have found SF I started to consume SF related or quite specific content, lost my interest to him as well.

In my reply to you, I was politely trying to say to approach his content with caution without being overly critical of him.

The more famous he got, I am afraid the more clickbait his content became.

Last edited:
The video you screenshot is not actually from Huberman, who I think generally provides good information. It’s one of those videos/channels that leeches off of legitimate productions. They edit clips from the podcast and give them clickbait titles/thumbnails, and they get popular because they’re short and flashy enough for genpop attention span.

Point is, I don’t think most of the sensationalism is from Huberman.

The video you screenshot is not actually from Huberman, who I think generally provides good information. It’s one of those videos/channels that leeches off of legitimate productions. They edit clips from the podcast and give them clickbait titles/thumbnails, and they get popular because they’re short and flashy enough for genpop attention span.

Point is, I don’t think most of the sensationalism is from Huberman.
Is the "Neuro Lifestyle" not his channel?

Is the "Neuro Lifestyle" not his channel?
As far as I can tell, his channels are “Andrew Huberman” and “Huberman Lab Clips”. No other channels are associated with the main channel, as far as I can tell.

The difference in the professionalism of the video title and thumbnail is night and day.

Attachments

• 9A402B8E-91D4-4A51-A742-5B47BA4C5DB9.jpeg
    9A402B8E-91D4-4A51-A742-5B47BA4C5DB9.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 11
As far as I can tell, his channels are “Andrew Huberman” and “Huberman Lab Clips”. No other channels are associated with the main channel, as far as I can tell.

The difference in the professionalism of the video title and thumbnail is night and day.
Every video (like every single one of them) on the "Neuro Lifestyle" channel features him and there are 250K subscribers... I mean, MAYBE it's not his channel... He has YouTube and influencer game for sure.

Last edited:
Andrew Huberman summed up without the pretentious voice.
Getting enough sleep is good for you
Waking up at the crack of dawn and marching outside to attack the day that you have been gifted with is good for you
Being fit is good for you
Saunas also feel nice, but I'm a pretentious twat and will delve into some bro science and use fancy words to tell you why they feel nice

As I said... far from ideal, but good enough for people interested in longevity and, maybe, looking good.

The same can be said for, say, running 30 minutes daily at a Maffetone pace. Hardly a peak performance program, but adequate enough for most.
If you ever want to partake in a peak performance program, the daily maffetone pace will be required toil

Prof. Galfin talks about his lack of strength training in his personal exercise routine for his own health in one of the podcasts.

It seems as if he is definitely maximizing the Zone 2 training but this comes at the cost of strength training.

Back
Top Bottom