all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

It got me thinking, are there any benefits or disadvantages of, say, running 15 minutes of The Giant 1.0 W1D1 and 15 minutes of The Giant 3.0 W1D1 in the same training session?

What do you hope to accomplish?

Neupert designs excellent programs. His programing is well thought out. He delivers results.

Do the programs as designed. Trust the process. Stay consistent. You will accomplish your goals.

Sometimes during my sessions, I like to mix up the weight a little. So, if I, for example, am running The Giant with a 1.0 with a 5-rep session (double 20s), I sometimes end the training session with a few 1 or 2 reps with my double 24s.

I really enjoy this because it makes me feel both strong and pumped at the same time ;)

It got me thinking, are there any benefits or disadvantages of, say, running 15 minutes of The Giant 1.0 W1D1 and 15 minutes of The Giant 3.0 W1D1 in the same training session?
Feeling good is underrated. Doing the program as written makes the most sense for the first time through, but after that, go crazy (while taking good notes!)

If you find something that is measurably better for you, share it here, and others might try.

Random changes are often not going to lead to improvements, but sometimes you might hit something good. After all, programs are often written for one size of bell for pragmatic reasons.

I've considered having one day a week sets of 2 with 5RM and the other days maybe sets of 5 and sets of 8 with 10RM. If I ever do that, I'll report the results.

Feeling good is underrated. Doing the program as written makes the most sense for the first time through, but after that, go crazy (while taking good notes!)

If you find something that is measurably better for you, share it here, and others might try.

Random changes are often not going to lead to improvements, but sometimes you might hit something good. After all, programs are often written for one size of bell for pragmatic reasons.

I've considered having one day a week sets of 2 with 5RM and the other days maybe sets of 5 and sets of 8 with 10RM. If I ever do that, I'll report the results.
These are my exact thoughts.

I don't really have any other specific goals than to get stronger, fitter, and look good naked. A significant part of achieving these goals is enjoying the workouts. As previously mentioned, I love the format of The Giant and I love the C&P. But sometimes, it feels good to mix it up a little.

These are my exact thoughts.

I don't really have any other specific goals than to get stronger, fitter, and look good naked. A significant part of achieving these goals is enjoying the workouts. As previously mentioned, I love the format of The Giant and I love the C&P. But sometimes, it feels good to mix it up a little.
Rather than mixing 3.0 with the rest of the series, why not just hit a top set with that heavier weight and then back off with 20 min of Giant? For instance, work up to a heavy single with 32kg, then back off to your 24s for a normal 20 min Giant session ?

Hello Everyone
I just got done with week 5 of Giant X1. Here are my numbers for 20:00 of work:
W5D1: 34 Reps
This day felt challenging enough but in a good day
W5D2: 34 Reps
This is a difficult day but the rep scheme is less difficult than last week so it felt a bit easier. Getting over with this day always makes me happy.
W5D3: 36 Reps
This is my favorite day of the week. Reps felt really good and I am quite surprised that these reps were challenging for me before the program but now I consider them somewhat “light”.

Next week is week 6 and gonna be 23:00 of work. I can’t believe how fast the weeks are passing by. I can’t wait to finish the cross line because I know that will feel really good!

Have a good day everyone !

Whew, just finished my first run-through: started 3.0 with dbl 16kg on January 17, then switched to 17kg halfway through 1.0 when I switched to adjustables.

Background: 36 years old, moderately active in various outdoor pursuits (trail running, hiking, skateboarding, bike commuting, 95% car-free). I did S&S a few years ago (for a few months) and began training consistently in July 2023. Between July '23 and Jan '24 I averaged 4 days a week of S&S and was working with 80% 24kg by the time I switched to Giant. I enjoyed S&S, but needed a change of pace - I would occasionally try a 16kg press at the top of a TGU and found it surprisingly difficult. I had never tried doubles before starting 3.0 with 16kg in January.

I never missed a session of The Giant; when traveling, I used 14 or 15kg dumbbells. I even spent a few days training with dumbbells on a rocking boat in moderate swells, which was fun, if perhaps slightly ill-advised.

Anyway, here's my weekly kg volume and rep totals:

g.PNG
r.PNG

Weight stayed roughly the same - around 175lbs, but definitely put on some arm and shoulder muscle. Gotten a few compliments on the arms and shoulders, which is dope.

Next up is Maximorum starting Monday. I would be perfectly happy running the giant again with a bump in weight and will do so in the future, but I want more squats and ballistic work for skate endurance. Tested my 5RM at 22kg last week, and will test once more this weekend.

Peace!

Whew, just finished my first run-through: started 3.0 with dbl 16kg on January 17, then switched to 17kg halfway through 1.0 when I switched to adjustables.

Background: 36 years old, moderately active in various outdoor pursuits (trail running, hiking, skateboarding, bike commuting, 95% car-free). I did S&S a few years ago (for a few months) and began training consistently in July 2023. Between July '23 and Jan '24 I averaged 4 days a week of S&S and was working with 80% 24kg by the time I switched to Giant. I enjoyed S&S, but needed a change of pace - I would occasionally try a 16kg press at the top of a TGU and found it surprisingly difficult. I had never tried doubles before starting 3.0 with 16kg in January.

I never missed a session of The Giant; when traveling, I used 14 or 15kg dumbbells. I even spent a few days training with dumbbells on a rocking boat in moderate swells, which was fun, if perhaps slightly ill-advised.

Anyway, here's my weekly kg volume and rep totals:

View attachment 24875
View attachment 24876

Weight stayed roughly the same - around 175lbs, but definitely put on some arm and shoulder muscle. Gotten a few compliments on the arms and shoulders, which is dope.

Next up is Maximorum starting Monday. I would be perfectly happy running the giant again with a bump in weight and will do so in the future, but I want more squats and ballistic work for skate endurance. Tested my 5RM at 22kg last week, and will test once more this weekend.

Peace!
16KG 5RM to 22 KG 5RM in 4 months is an accomplishment. Congratulations!

After running Iron Cardio for the past 5 months, I started Giant 1.0 today. I purchased KB Strong along with The Giant, and it was well worth it. The technique tips are going to be invaluable along the way.

Today I ended up alternating sets between my 20k (12 rm) and 24k (8rm). I really liked the waviness of heavier/lighter sets, so we'll see if I stick with this for the rest of the program.

20 minutes.
Sets of 5 reps.
20k: 6 sets
24k: 6 sets
Total reps: 60

Hello Everyone
I just got done with week 5 of Giant X1. Here are my numbers for 20:00 of work:
W5D1: 34 Reps
This day felt challenging enough but in a good day
W5D2: 34 Reps
This is a difficult day but the rep scheme is less difficult than last week so it felt a bit easier. Getting over with this day always makes me happy.
W5D3: 36 Reps
This is my favorite day of the week. Reps felt really good and I am quite surprised that these reps were challenging for me before the program but now I consider them somewhat “light”.

Next week is week 6 and gonna be 23:00 of work. I can’t believe how fast the weeks are passing by. I can’t wait to finish the cross line because I know that will feel really good!

Have a good day everyone !
I have been reading this forum from the beginning while running the Giant since mid-January. Based on some videos from Geoff established a goal of sticking with the one armed version of the Giant for a minimum of one year with the intermediate goal of 10 x 5 each side with a 24kg.
Based on what I have seen on the forum it seems that I am on the end of the spectrum in two regards; low beginning strength and age (70).
From Jan thru Apr ran the 1.0-1.2 series with a 12 kg and in Apr thru May graduated to a 16kg for 3.0 which I just finished today.
My first take away is that I feel and move noticeably better which is most important to me at this stage of life. Secondly I have been able to adhere to the program without deviation by being consistent and exercising a bit of restraint. Prior to starting in January my rm testing was as follows: 12kg x 12 reps and 16kg x 5 reps. Just now my post test was 20kg x 4 reps. I am a little amazed since three of the last four months I have been using a 12kg bell and yet my 5rm with the 16 has improved to a 4 rm with the 20 without ever touching the 20 until today. Who says old guys can’t get stronger. My pre and post measurements are showing measureable recomping as well. Body weight 215-208. Thigh 22-21 3/4. Waist 41 1/4- 40 1/4. Hip 42 1/2 - 43 1/4. Chest 43 - 41 3/4. Arm 13 3/4 - 15. Forearm 12 1/4 - 13 1/4.
I am very pleased with my results and want to encourage any old timers out there who are wondering if the giant is for me; to join the party. Plan to take a vacation from the bells for 4 or 5 days and run 3.0 again with the 16’s or give it a try with the 20’s using the push press as necessary. My thanks to all who post here. I find your comments and questions both instructional and inspiring.

I have been reading this forum from the beginning while running the Giant since mid-January. Based on some videos from Geoff established a goal of sticking with the one armed version of the Giant for a minimum of one year with the intermediate goal of 10 x 5 each side with a 24kg.
Based on what I have seen on the forum it seems that I am on the end of the spectrum in two regards; low beginning strength and age (70).
From Jan thru Apr ran the 1.0-1.2 series with a 12 kg and in Apr thru May graduated to a 16kg for 3.0 which I just finished today.
My first take away is that I feel and move noticeably better which is most important to me at this stage of life. Secondly I have been able to adhere to the program without deviation by being consistent and exercising a bit of restraint. Prior to starting in January my rm testing was as follows: 12kg x 12 reps and 16kg x 5 reps. Just now my post test was 20kg x 4 reps. I am a little amazed since three of the last four months I have been using a 12kg bell and yet my 5rm with the 16 has improved to a 4 rm with the 20 without ever touching the 20 until today. Who says old guys can’t get stronger. My pre and post measurements are showing measureable recomping as well. Body weight 215-208. Thigh 22-21 3/4. Waist 41 1/4- 40 1/4. Hip 42 1/2 - 43 1/4. Chest 43 - 41 3/4. Arm 13 3/4 - 15. Forearm 12 1/4 - 13 1/4.
I am very pleased with my results and want to encourage any old timers out there who are wondering if the giant is for me; to join the party. Plan to take a vacation from the bells for 4 or 5 days and run 3.0 again with the 16’s or give it a try with the 20’s using the push press as necessary. My thanks to all who post here. I find your comments and questions both instructional and inspiring.
Great!
I'm 6 years behind you, but about the same bell-wise. I'm in the middle of 1.1 now with the 16. I started with the 12 last fall, took a break of 3 months for Geoff's ICT beta, and am continuing on ...

My goal is to get to 10 RM with a single 24 both sides, by year end.

That is outstanding progress. Consistency always brings nice results especially with a proven program like the Giant. Congrats on the new prs!

Nice job @paulwilson! Keep up the strong work!

Hello everyone
Week 6 of Giant x1 is done! This week was 23:00 of work. Here are my numbers for the week:
W6D1: 36 Reps
W6D2: 39 Reps (This was the hard day and I am glad I did great!)
W6D3: 39 Reps (This day felt good. Light days are my favorite. I know the rep scheme is manageable and I also know that it is challenging enough)

When I looked at my numbers two weeks ago (Week 4) I realized Day 2 I got the same reps that I did at Day 2 of this week. The difference was that Week 4 was 30:00 of work and Week 6 is 23:00. Getting the same number of work done in 7:00 less is a huge accomplishment for me. I am very happy that next week (W7) the rep scheme is gonna be easier than this week. Then the week after that which is the final week is gonna be the most difficult but I am looking forward to that challenge. I can’t believe how fast the program is moving and I only have two weeks left to finish X1 and start X2!

Hope everyone had a good training week.

That is outstanding progress. Consistency always brings nice results especially with a proven program like the Giant. Congrats on the new prs!
I am enjoying the simplicity of the Giant programs. That doesn’t mean they are easy or boring. I look forward to each training session and find that each is challenging in its own way. Sets of three to compared to sets of one feel way different and keep it interesting psychologically as well as physically. For me the constant changes while concentrating on the same comprehensive movement lends itself to encouragng consistency.

Great!
I'm 6 years behind you, but about the same bell-wise. I'm in the middle of 1.1 now with the 16. I started with the 12 last fall, took a break of 3 months for Geoff's ICT beta, and am continuing on ...

My goal is to get to 10 RM with a single 24 both sides, by year end.
It’s good to know that someone is a bit ahead of me on this path with similiar goals. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Back
Top Bottom