Pavel created a challenge in his Kettlebell Simple & Sinister book. This program involves 100 one-hand swings and 10 get-ups. The 10×10 swings must be completed in 5 minutes by performing 10 swings every 30 seconds, followed by 1 minute of rest and 10×1 get-ups performed in 10 minutes.
|5 minutes||10 one-hand swings to chest-level every 30 seconds, switching hands each set|
|10 minutes||1 get-up every minute on the minute, switching hands each minute|
The program has two goals that change based on weight: the Simple and the Sinister.
The SIMPLE Goal
|Get-up Weight||Swing Weight|
The SINISTER Goal
|Get-up Weight||Swing Weight|
One-Arm Swing Standards
1. The back is neutral. The neck is slightly extended or neutral on the bottom of the swing.
2. The heels, toes, and the balls of the feet are planted, and the knees track the toes.
3. The working shoulder is packed.
4. The kettlebell handle passes above the knees during the backswing.
5. The working arm is straight at the bottom position.
6. There is no forward knee movement on the upswing.
7. The body forms a straight line at the top of the swing. The hips and knees fully extend; the spine is neutral.
8. The kettlebell forms an extension of the forearm at the top of the swing; the arm is almost straight.
9. Inhale on the way down; forcefully exhale on the way up.
10. The abs and glutes visibly contract at the top of the swing.
11. The kettlebell floats for a second at the top of the swing.
1. Use both hands to lift the kettlebell off the ground to the starting position of the floor press and to return it to the ground at the end of the get-up.
2. The wrist on the kettlebell side is neutral.
3. The elbow on the kettlebell side is locked and the shoulder is packed.
4. The shoulder of the free arm does not shrug up.
5. The heel of the foot on the kettlebell side stays planted during the low sweep, the lunge up to standing, and during the reverse of these actions.
6. The knee touches the deck silently on the descent into the half-kneeling position.
7. The arm holding the kettlebell is vertical or almost vertical.
8. The neck is neutral for the top half of the movement, from the lunge up.
9. In the top position, the knees are locked and the lower back does not hyperextend.
The movement is smooth, without jerky transitions.
To be listed below for achieving the Sinister goal, please complete the submission form with a link to your video.
Filming standards: Swing: from the side view to 45-degree angle, set up camera recording view at a height to capture person in normal perspective (not shooting from the ground). Get Up: set up camera recording view at any angle to fully capture the person’s ground to standing movement.
|Lacie Brandts||Anna Cannington||Roxanne Myers|
|Mira Gracia||Kate Trusewicz||Sammantha Kouba|
|Arianna Zaccagnini||Hyun Jin Choi||Alicja Gęsikowska|
|Debbie Hayes||Nicole Davis||Elisa Pagani|
|Camila Hermoso||Raye Johnston||Ula Gronowska|
|Fanni Stein||Lauryn Conlon||Eileen Backman|
|Tana Ross||Jenni Holzhauer||Holly Myers|
|Lindsay Cruz||Lara Messersmith Glavin||Natascia Sannino|
|Joanna Jaworska||Amy Larson||Brei Bunker|
|Analisa Naldi||Dorthy Sumruld||Ana Cristina Callesen|
|Ewa Puziak||Emily Grandstaff-Rice||Magda Wnuk|
|Teal Price||Janaye Rayman||Elaine Difeliciantonio|
|Ekaterina Tabakova||Magdalena Boińska||Charlene Richardson|
|Magdalena Kostarczyk||Małgorzata Piłat||Marina El Haybe|
|Nina Wtorek||Claire Thomson||Carrie Cothran|
|Jennifer Holzhauer||Maria Bascetta||Melissa Templeman|
|Cristy Callesen||Elizabeth Froberg||Fanni Steib|
|Jeong Yun Kwak||Małgorzata Arendarczyk||Erlinda Gomez|
|Jackie Vazquez||Juhee Lee||Aleksandra Kłeczek|
|Lauren Kanikeberg||Yang Jihyun||Marzia Lo Verso|
|Ewelina Grdeń||Malou Fehlbaum||Anna Pawlak|
|Madison Freed||Kymm Bontrager||Julia Eckart|
|Meghan Mueller||Kristin Scheuerman||Jolanta Pawlowska|
|Emily Watts||Elvira Chianello||Kristina Kazimourova|
|Martina Williams||Simona Bertucci||Yun Joo Lee|
|Rachel Nard||Thalyta Romano||Marta Naskręt|
|Barbara Filipowska||Shoshana Katz||Jeongsun Choi|
|Jihyang Park||Karen Mooney||Magda Kwiecień|
|Marzena Małota||Katalin Vida||Marta Brodziejewska|
|Stefan Löfström||Ivan Masperi||Aldo Alberico|
|Dariusz Reinhard||Todd Whelan||Brian Myers|
|Soo-on Kwak||Lauryn Conlon||Chris Abbott|
|Noah Maxwell||Anthony Steward Jr||Stephen Celia|
|Seong Il Mun||Josh Kidd||Kevin Cleary|
|Sean Bryan||Max Western||Nicholas Heuer|
|John Odden||KangMin Kim||Seon Woo Hong|
|Pil Joon Ko||Arryn Grogan||Lee YongWook|
|Tomas Krpelan||Tomasz Cierpisz||Jun Young Lee|
|Jong Hun Han||Sven Rieger||Marco Cusimano|
|Jin Woo Jung||Woo Been Cho||Dewen Kong|
|Maurizio Mottalini||Kibeom Bae||Jakub Majewski|
|Anton Hoffman||Gwangseon Choi||An Sewoong|
|Jose Luis Cortina||Bartłomiej Przybylski||Zakary Morris|
|Lucas Broncato||Michal Bieniek||Lars Schönemann|
|Kacper Alfler||Pavel Macek|
Many of those who have achieved Sinister also hold the hard-earned rank of StrongFirst Certified Instructor.
Visit our Worldwide Instructor Directory to contact an instructor if you are interested in a training session. When you train under a StrongFirst Certified Instructor—kettlebell, barbell, or bodyweight—you are learning from the best.