all posts post new thread

Thoughts on creatine?

I take buffered creatine. It may help with available strength and ability to get through sets of >5 reps. I've been of and off a few times and haven't seen a super clear difference for me, but I feel like it's safe and the data supports it as an effective supplement.

I've done about two different 'cycles' of 4-5 months at a time, 5g a day. I have not really felt much different on it or off, in any respect.
I'm a 'pragmatic' lifter - I'm a strength enthusiast but I'm not a strength athlete, my goals are athletic/sport/health related - so I can't truly say if I've pushed the limit enough to know if there is a difference for me

If you are using monohydrate, and you do the loading phase for a week, I would be willing to say it it’s almost impossible to put on less than 5 pounds right away, with adequate water cosumption.
Sure but it’s water weight. “Instantly put on 5-10lbs of water” sounds a little different than “instantly put on 5-10lbs!”

If you are using monohydrate, and you do the loading phase for a week, I would be willing to say it it’s almost impossible to put on less than 5 pounds right away, with adequate water cosumption.
Ahh I misunderstood you. I was thinking adding 5-10lbs to a lift.

100% agree it will add water weight real quick.

I take creatine as a staple. In part, because of the well-researched benefits for training. But creatine is more researched on recovery of brain trauma and other interesting fields. I also take it, to have a small increase in cns resiliency.

Creatine gives me kidney stones.

Edit: My apologies early morning post. I did not have my coffee because I did not want to wake the dog up. I am running on 1/3 of a kidney on one side. It works fine but the label talks about not taking if you have an issue My apologies to John who left a reaction.

Last edited:
I‘ve been on and off a few times.
I didn‘t notice any difference on strength training.
On Muay Thai my Performance and Recovery are much better

What brand do you use? I was looking at transparent labs, but I am open for recommendations
I'm down in Mexico and there is a national brand called Birdman. They have an interesting product line. I use their creatine, trace minerals and falcon performance protein that is plant based and digests easy and work well for my 47 year old body.

I don’t like it, makes me too dehydrated /need to drink too much water. If I was just a gym rat - maybe. It is actively advised against due to risk of becoming a heat casualty.

I share not to dissuade you from taking, but to make sure you’re aware when you do, especially going into summer if you live somewhere warm or plan on doing something active outside during the summer.
Good tip. I know two fitness guys I follow, Tanner Shuck and Mind Pump (which is more a group) all swear by it.

Good tip. I know two fitness guys I follow, Tanner Shuck and Mind Pump (which is more a group) all swear by it.
It is very common in the "tactical athlete" community as well, but there also quite a few guidelines surrounding not using it during the summer or during field exercises due to the increased risk of becoming a heat casualty (dehydration, heat stroke, etc.) due to increased water needs. As I said, this may be more or less relevant for folks here depending on what they do in training or on summer vacations.

How much more would you have to increase your water intake? Would you think?
I think it better to go off of thirst. This is likely to be very individual. If you have plentiful access to water and drink according to thirst, you're more likely to be OK. But if your bodyweight goes up 5-10lbs due to water retention, that's about an extra gallon of water.

Back
Top Bottom