all posts post new thread

Weighted Parallel Bar Dips

That's a new one for me.

-S-
I always use that name as I found out about it in the old convict conditioning book.

It's the progression where you have your feet on say a stool or something.

I my pull up bar is at a height where I am pretty much sitting on the floor so I do it from that position keeping my heels on the ground.

Weighted Parallel Bar Dips is really good exercise if mobility of your shoulders allows you to doe it, many have opinion that is unhealty for shoulders and that you can get injured which is true if done inappropriately (going to deep is often a reason, tears of rotator cuff muscles and tendions) but in my expirience is great for upper body strength, people this days using even 200kg+ for dips.
It have great carryover to bench press strength its not same movement but same muscles are working, many people like Pat Casey the 'godfather of powerlifting' he was the first man to Bench 600# , Squat 800# and Total 2000# was famous for his dips protocols which are on internet even this days.
In my workouts i did low or high volume and low or high intensity, dead start concentric only for starting strength, eccentric(fast or slow/concentric with SSC, eccentric with supramaximal weights for hipertrophy and strength, long (endurance, iso strength, hipertrophy) and intesive short isometrics ( maximal overcoming using supramaximal weight that cant be lifted get in position and push), body weight plyometrics ( explosive letting of bar for power), loaded stretching EQI with body weight and added weight.

What is your thoughts on dips do you use it?
What is your ratio between dips and bench press?
I think there is no deceleration phase in dips like in BP so muscles are active trough whole ROM but cant finde much reasrche about dips, does somebody knows where can be found or have it so can writte?

I love dips (my favourite press variation). I rarely bench at all as it does not fit my goals.

For dips - the following all get rotated and varying degrees of focus for me:

- bodyweight on parallel or straight bars
- weighted (reps or working up to a 1-3 max on occasion)
- gymnastic rings

Dips off rings were/are humbling. My numbers are far less than from a fixed bar.

Back
Top Bottom