all posts post new thread

Barbell Beach volleyball

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

coolrunnings

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi guys

I am a 31yo amateur beach volleyball player and want to take my game to the next level. I am 6'2 250lbs (28% bodyfat) so am aware my main priority is to lose fat and maximise power / agility / vertical jump while minimising weight. Also super important to emphasize core strength and shoulder health, as you may imagine.

I'd like to turn my physical conditioning / strength / power into my strength rather than weakness.

What would you all recommend as a training program?

I'm pretty well versed with KB movements so not opposed to adding them in!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I recently took myself from 21% to 12% using S&S and the Tim Ferriss slow carb diet. I also fasted a couple times a week. It took me about 6 months to reach 12%. Currently sitting at 11% measured by Bodpod a couple weeks ago.

I recently took myself from 21% to 12% using S&S and the Tim Ferriss slow carb diet. I also fasted a couple times a week. It took me about 6 months to reach 12%. Currently sitting at 11% measured by Bodpod a couple weeks ago.

Good job! The weight loss seems simple (but not easy) as it's almost entirely diet related. I have this in check now and am losing fat at 2lbs per week or so. I'm interested to see what people say regarding the training

S&S is perfect for you because it will leave you time and energy for your chosen sport. Read the book, ask questions here before you get started.

-S-

Greykull is about the most basic and effective beginner barbell routine that I can think of. Lots of folks getting good results with it (hypertrophy, strength, etc). Starts gentle, with plenty of room to progress over the weeks, and all with the basic, compound BB lifts.

People who pair up Greyskull with a caloric deficit (but high protein) usually achieve some rather amazing results in body recomposition, fairly fast.

Hi,
I haven't been around posting the last few month due to increasing desire to cut down on screen time after getting back to my deskbound day job and just logged today. Nice coincidence :)

Beach volleyball is (besides the sport-specific skills), as I see it, is a strength oriented sport, and as @Steve Freides said, S&S is a perfect fit.

While I have not followed by-the-book S&S* for extended periods of time I recommend to start with it. S&S covers full body alignment (with somewhat shoulder emphasize) with the TGU - an essential platform for everything to be developed on, locomotion and hip-hinge mechanics and strength with the swing and add additional mobility/stability with the S&S warm up.

As time passes and I learn more I put more emphasize on alignment practice and development. You can create allot of power with bad alignment, but if you care about yourself it is a bad idea.

So start with S&S, you are welcome to take @Anna C's advice and look at my log (which I'll start updating again on some form or another). Thanks @Anna C :)

Oh, and get a movement screen (FMS).

* I did extended periods of time of Bent & Sinister - S&S variation with a bent press replacing the TGU with great results - but stick with TGU until you can handle the 32kg with confidence

And if you have more questions you are welcome to post back.

Plyo training, broad Jumps, Verticals, pulls, and squats (This from someone who played in the Cuervo JR. ) .Have you had your vert measured? Vertical and quickness are VERY Important in sand. I think S&S will help, but not the best option IMO.

Thanks all. Yes, I don't think S&S is the most optimal approach for beach volleyball.

It seems like my focus should be a 2x BW squat and then lots of plyos to increase vertical as much as possible.

@Peck'88 my vertical at the moment is 24" (bc I weigh 250). When I weighed 200 it was 30", so that's the medium term goal again. What is yours / that of other high level players you know?

Greykull is about the most basic and effective beginner barbell routine that I can think of. Lots of folks getting good results with it (hypertrophy, strength, etc). Starts gentle, with plenty of room to progress over the weeks, and all with the basic, compound BB lifts.

People who pair up Greyskull with a caloric deficit (but high protein) usually achieve some rather amazing results in body recomposition, fairly fast.

Thanks. Can this be adapted for no hypertrophy? I am after strength without mass

Thanks. Can this be adapted for no hypertrophy? I am after strength without mass
Yeah. Just don't eat a caloric surplus and you won't build much muscle.

That said, the program is meant to an extent to build muscle. If that's not your cup of tea, I think KB work might be better than BB.

Thanks all. Yes, I don't think S&S is the most optimal approach for beach volleyball.

It seems like my focus should be a 2x BW squat and then lots of plyos to increase vertical as much as possible.

Don't confuse "best" with optimal... and definitely not with consensus. 2xBW proper squat and proper plyometric training will increase you vertical leap, probably more more than S&S, but since you related it to beach volleyball than... Winning on the sand has more to do with the quality of your pass-set-attack technical-tactical skills (in that order!!! and serve sandwiched before attack) and less with direct measurements of physical abilities. Your physical abilities (and strength training) need to be good enough to not limit technical development, with some headroom for future use. GPP is king here, SPP will truly benefit those with high levels of GPP and t/t skills - basically faces you see on a regular basis on the FIVB world tour / AVP tour. It's all about time and energy expenditure/management.

The best way in my opinion to support the technical-tactical skills is better body management. Pass need good stability in the squat position (goblet squats, log squats), focus and coolness. Setting is about body control (TGU/Bent press/squat), vision, patience & coordination, and emotional commitment (this one is actually first in importance IMO). Attack is about vision, timing, vision, timing (spatial-temporal awareness), healthy thoracic-scapular mechanics (TGU, halos) and full body integration (both ballistic and "slow" - TGU, swing, DL, BtP, loaded carries). I deeply believe (and see results on myself and my trainees) that, especially for the non-professional player, improving your FMS score-sheet and working on better basic human movement will yield both good results in low time and energy expenditure. This will give you more time/ebergy to practice you BVB skills and play. This is more efficient and, in book, more "optimal".

I'll circle back to the "flash" of good vertical. In beach volleyball attack the vertical leap is a tool on the way to higher point-of-contact with the ball. Improving you vertical leap will give you higher point-of-contact, no doubt. But you can also gain 1-2 inches with better thoracic-scapular mobility/stability, which can take about 5 minutes of movement prep. improving your approach position and timing will not change your vertical leap (actually it probably will) but will have profound affect on the height of contact. All these have low energy demands and can be done daily, which will result in better adaptation (this moderation and consistency thing...). If you have no position/vision/timing issues, have symmetrical 17+ with no 1 score on the FMS and still losing games because you missing 2-3 inches in the attack than by all means, go for heavy squats and plyos.

@Peck'88 my vertical at the moment is 24" (bc I weigh 250). When I weighed 200 it was 30", so that's the medium term goal again. What is yours / that of other high level players you know?
I'm 6'5 and at 43 years old, I can still hit 34". When I was active (and 50lbs lighter), I was around 40". I still practice box jumps , broad jumps, and agility training regularly.

There's a great, one-page explanation of how rest periods are handled in Enter The Kettlebell. The principles are also explained in Power To The People and elsewhere.

The very short answer is: hypertrophy comes from getting muscle pump with a heavy enough weight in your training, combined with proper nutrition and sufficient rest. If you train frequently, keep your sets short and your rests long, and don't eat to gain weight, you won't gain weight.

I have, once or twice in the past, tried programs that were supposed to result in hypertrophy but for the purpose of pure strength and/or fat loss - some people do alright this way, but I found myself always tired and hungry and, therefore, always miserable.

-S-

jumping is power/weight ratio thing, and at a higher bodyfat, losing weight is very helpful. I'd use plyo's as a finishing/sharpening tool for someone already in great shape and good body composition. They can be very hard on joints and connective tissue if not ready for them. Squats and deadlifts might be helpful, if done explosively emphasizing power over weight (i.e., with speed). Swings are ideal, because in hard-style you get much of benefits of plyo's w/out the strain. I thought ab wheels were good when I played some in college, because you're in blocking position when you're extended on the floor with the ab wheel. Getups would help much the same thing.

Thanks all for the help. Any opinions on the best diet for long term compliance and losing 50lbs as quick as (safely) possible?

Intermittent Fasting, IF, is popular here with good reason. Google "Warrior Diet" for a starter.

-S-

Thanks all for the help. Any opinions on the best diet for long term compliance and losing 50lbs as quick as (safely) possible?

Quick and longterm compliance are mutually exclusive. There are quite a number of extreme diets that work, but are not sustainable.
For me it was crucial to find a new balance. I had build the habit of eating at certain times. Over time the portion sizes increased and then therr were plenty of sweets in between and afterwards. Simply restricting myself didn't work as I felt - restricted. For me an occasional (twice weekly) fast helped to get more into a healthy middle where I'd have a better feeling for when I am hungry and when I'm full. And my desire for sweets would decrease as a consequence.
I think without finding a new balance any diet is prone to fail.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom