all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What Are You Training For?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sean Mulcahy

Level 5 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
38 y/o former Marine and college athlete with plenty of family and work commitments, still looking to compete in some way and give my kettlebell (S&S-based) training more focus. I like Eric Frohardt's idea of breaking the year into four twelve-week blocks with one week of rest at the end of each, and having a different focus for each block (Balance...With Priorities | StrongFirst). Besides the TSC, which I've competed in before and will likely sign up for again in the Fall, what are some other ways that folks are solving for this? I've done a little BJJ, but already been injured three times (once was definitely my fault and a newbie mistake) and not sure if this is a long-term pursuit yet.Wondering how others are thinking about this?

Obstacle course races. S&S is great for grip strength & ability to take punishment. Throw in some pull ups for body control/manipulation, and some running. Good stuff.

I'm at a point in my life where I do the things that please me the most (within reason).

Since I became aware of the "park bench" concept, I've trying to explore it and expand it to every activity I can. I don't feel the need to compete anymore, I just want to be healthy and have as much fun as possible.

I still train martial arts, lift and run trails quite often, but I tend to keep it playful, no hurry, no pressure at all.

Thing is, I stopped getting injured every few months and I re-discovered the simple and often forgotten pleasure of training for the mere sake of it. I have no goal, no true aim but to have a blast doing what I love.

I have a very laid-back approach to life, taking any amount of progress (hey, glacially slow progress is still progress) as a pleasant surprise rather than the result of my training.

One very wise man (I seem to recall it was Dan Martin) once said: "I train everyday, so I can keep training everyday". It struck a chord the first time I read it, and the more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

I'm in the process of enlisting in the US Army so I'm just trying to stay active until my waiver gets approved. Trying to get my weightlifting in before I hopefully ship out for basic training. Trying to show up there with great joint integrity, proper movement patterns and a great baseline of GPP.

I want to be strong enough to play with my grandchildren (and, of course, still alive).

I want to be stronger for BJJ - we've got some monster guys at my BJJ gym.

To get stronger, currently.

Overall, to be tough and resilient.

Depending on your goals and your financial position. Training for and passing different certifications could be an option.

Once per year I try and take some sort of certification. Some maybe more challenging than others, but once you meet requirements, maintaining them can be a goal. To be far I'm a Fitness Instructor so I'm doing my best to distinguish myself from all the other trainers in my town. But it has provided me with plenty to train for.

SFG, SFB, and SFL all come to mind.

Ground Force Method, Flexible steel and the Flexible Steel Indian Club Instructor are a few others.

Putting all those skills in your tool box could go a long way in longevity as others have mentioned.

I'm 54 and still an active Military Flier. I train so that I will be able to carry people off an airplane or out of a building. Also, God forbid should someone bother my wife or decide that he wants to mess with an old grayheaded guy I want to be the wrong "old grayheaded guy."

I believe that like most other forum members I simply want to remain capable of whatever I need to be capable of.

I'm training for old age.

This ^
I'm training to be as active as I can be for my kids and to extend my active years as close to my death as possible, preferably to the last minute.

Pursuant to this is some hypertrophy, strength with a purpose, some mobility - I plan on working as long as possible too.

My actual methods are park bench with some waviness and a fair amount of variety - If I make gains I take up the slack and push on. If I don't, I'm not worried about it as long as I don't go backward anytime soon.

In summer, to be strong and lean. In winter, to be strong and big.

Overall, to do my best to be more healthy and fit each passing year so I can be productive for a long, long time.

Specific answer: I'm training to reach Simple because the thought of owning a weight that used to kick my a#@ makes me excited to get to the gym

General answer: I want to be a strong (eventual) husband/father/old guy

I figure I still have about five to ten good years to get stronger and bigger. I try to use that time for it as well as I can. Maybe I'll participate in some competitions. After that, I'll keep having fun but take things a bit more lightly, and with more variety.

Currently I train for sfg cert, sometimes I train for gs marathons, but most of the time I train because I enjoy it.

@Antti you have much more than 5-10 years. Age is just number. ;)
Think about Dexter Jackson or @Steve Freides

Currently I train for sfg cert, sometimes I train for gs marathons, but most of the time I train because I enjoy it.

@Antti you have much more than 5-10 years. Age is just number. ;)
Think about Dexter Jackson or @Steve Freides

There will inevitably come a time, an age, when the numbers start going down. It happens to everyone. Of course, if you start training at 70, it doesn't mean you can't become better. But how many are there competing in open divisions at over 50 years of age? There's a reason the masters' divisions start at 40.

If I can't chase a new 1RM anymore the way I train will change. Maybe I'll even stop training altogether and start exercising.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom