all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Sudden strength loss

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JLynch

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey guys, I’m a little frustrated today and could use some guidance..

Ive been doing the ABC for a couple weeks overall I’ve been able to do 15 rounds 2x24kgs in 15 minutes or between 7-9 rounds of 2x32kgs in 15 min.. warm up with S&S

Suddenly last week I could barely clean the 32kgs once so I took a couple extra days rest but today I can clean and press them comfortably although still weaker, but I can’t squat, bottom falls out as soon as I get down.

Any guidance is appreciated..

Ive been doing the ABC for a couple weeks overall I’ve been able to do 15 rounds 2x24kgs in 15 minutes or between 7-9 rounds of 2x32kgs in 15 min.. warm up with S&S

Suddenly last week I could barely clean the 32kgs once so I took a couple extra days rest but today I can clean and press them comfortably although still weaker, but I can’t squat, bottom falls out as soon as I get down.

You probably need a deload week using 16's or 20's and possibly more rest days in between sessions. Nutrition and sleep are also things affecting me most.
When in doubt, eat and rest usually does the trick for me. Good luck going forward.

My nutrition hasn’t been the greatest, definitely need to drink more water and less coffee.. As far as sleep, I have 3 kids under 6 so sleep isn’t really a thing..

I don’t have anything smaller than the 24kgs but think maybe switching to single Kbells for a little bit might help..

I also noticed them when I do renegade rows my opposite leg comes off the ground lately.. Back and butt probably need some R&R.. Thanks for the pointers

You're not really weaker. You just need some rest or deload. Dial in your nutrition and take it easy for 1-2weeks and maybe "even" take some days off.
You will come back a lot stronger!

Btw: coffee is basically water ;)

I really do hate taking extra rest days, but y’all are probably right.. maybe I’ll switch to S&S for a couple weeks and really work on my prying squats.. I’ve been taking my swings for granted probably too..

+1 to needing rest. Beyond that, you’ve been at your current program for 2 weeks and are already a bit run down (but who knows what fatigue you brought forward from your previous program).

Those are some pretty dense 15 minute sessions - especially for someone struggling with getting enough sleep. I’d be wondering about cutting volume or doubling rest at least initially upon return from the deload and building back up.

Fractal,

After I stopped cursing and stepped back and looking at my notes, I’ve been going at for over 6 weeks.. I know long “couple”.. Definitely due for a deload week or two.. mobility needs some work so some active recovery should be good for the short term.. Thanks for the advice

Fractal,

After I stopped cursing and stepped back and looking at my notes, I’ve been going at for over 6 weeks.. I know long “couple”.. Definitely due for a deload week or two.. mobility needs some work so some active recovery should be good for the short term.. Thanks for the advice

That makes more sense.

One thing I really liked about 5/3/1 was the built in deload every 4th week. Some months I'd dread it, some months I'd be looking forward to it. Jim Wendler has said on several occasions that if you wait until you feel like you need a deload, it's already too late. Maybe consider building in a half volume week every month, just to stay fresh - at least until a solid 8 hours of sleep is regularly achievable.

@justin peter lynch, if you hate taking days off, look at programs based on high frequency. I don't think most that build muscle are like that, but PTTP, DDD, GTG - these all have you wave the load and lift heavy only infrequently.

-S-

I have experienced what you're going through and, like you, hate taking extra days off. I found that by pushing on through days when I felt I had lost strength, I got to the point where I was getting injuries because I wasnt noticing that I was losing form and technique. Also, burnout is so common..
Like pretty much everyone else said, rest is a great solution. It is extremely important for your nervous system and for growth. Also, rest doesnt necessarily mean sitting still...try doing some yoga sessions -dont need to go to classes just follow some basic yoga on You Tube, also grab a roller or tennis balls and knead out the fascia and meditate! Make a few days every few weeks your 'maintenance' days where you shut down for business and give the body a good service!

It depends on why you are getting weaker. I had a nerve impingement in my neck/shoulder area. My left triceps and my rotator cuff muscles got weak. I had to stop lifting kettlebells or doing any other work that put stress on my shoulders or neck. It took about 2 months for the strength to come back and I spend most of my time on cardiovascular exercise now.
If none of the people on this forum know why you are getting weaker then you can't get reliable advice.

Wanted to give y’all an update..

Made a couple small changes for my deload week that have had a huge impact.. deload contains S&S with one light ABC day (2x24kgs 10 rounds in 20+ minutes instead of 15 in 15)

Changed from doing two handed swings with the 48kg to double swings with 2x24kgs.. this subtle change immediately paid huge dividends..

The wider stance showed me two hitches in my swing, I was letting my shoulders shift forward and I was letting my toes come off the ground.. I.e muscling the swing.. by fixing both issues I was able to contract my core right and tame the arc..

I also started incorporating the prying squat, skipped it for years.. yeah I’m a meat head sometimes.. Pry squat showed me that my hips were too tight and that the weight was getting me “a#@ to grass” instead of the other way around..

Thanks for all the great tips guys.. Feeling better ,stronger, already!!

Changed from doing two handed swings with the 48kg to double swings with 2x24kgs..

The beast will catch up to you quick, I was swinging it alot and started to accumulate fatigue, double 24's are a different animal with a shorter stroke (still heavy though). I had to back off beast swings and now plug them in occasionally (I'm 60 soon) and train smarter with recovery as the main focus.
I'm not convinced swinging the 48k is much better than 40 or 44, I don't know.. maybe it's my age talking

The beast will catch up to you quick, I was swinging it alot and started to accumulate fatigue, double 24's are a different animal with a shorter stroke (still heavy though). I had to back off beast swings and now plug them in occasionally (I'm 60 soon) and train smarter with recovery as the main focus.
I'm not convinced swinging the 48k is much better than 40 or 44, I don't know.. maybe it's my age talking

Have you listened to episode 10 of the podcast? At a certain point, you trade power for moving more weight - so a really heavy swing might not be any better than just a heavy swing -except it may cost more-

Have you listened to episode 10 of the podcast? At a certain point, you trade power for moving more weight - so a really heavy swing might not be any better than just a heavy swing -except it may cost more-

I haven't heard the podcast but it's pretty much the conclusion I came up with, swinging the beast is fun but too much is too much. Plugging it in here and there is a good body shocker and part of my overall strategy.

Power swinging the 40 is very good..

Is that the one with Chris Chapman? I believe I have listened to it..

I understand the power curve.. I went without swinging the beast for awhile and I noticed my cleans got a little wonky, but I think swinging the doubles will actually have a better impact anyways.

Is that the one with Chris Chapman? I believe I have listened to it..

I understand the power curve.. I went without swinging the beast for awhile and I noticed my cleans got a little wonky, but I think swinging the doubles will actually have a better impact anyways.

That’s the one. I know Steve W rates the double clean quite highly.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom