all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Press to snatch ratio

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

FinlayB

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello

Does anyone know 9r can estimate what a press to snatch ratio would be..

By this I mean how many presses should you be able to do before snatching a Kettlebell?

Snatching/trying to snatch your 1RM press seems a like it would be a little dangerous. I would imagine you dont have the stability.

Is 5 reps a good number? Or is there no correlation between the 2 lifts?

You certainly want a solid overhead position/lockout for the snatch and this can be "built" with the Get-up and with the MP but I don't have a specific ratio.
Early on I think you should certainly be able to perform get-ups and be able to press the weight comfortably.

It depends some on your relative familiarity with the two movements. I can snatch my 1RM press for a few reps. I'm not sure if I can snatch heavier than my press, although I haven't tried. A good snatch lets you pull the 'bell past all the hard parts of the press and straight to the lockout.

I focus on the snatch, so I can use the snatch to "explore" parts of the press. I'm sure if I focused on the press, I could reverse the process and use it to familiarize myself with heavier 'bells for snatching. With that in mind, I think a specific ratio would be a difficult thing to predict.

It depends some on your relative familiarity with the two movements. I can snatch my 1RM press for a few reps. I'm not sure if I can snatch heavier than my press, although I haven't tried. A good snatch lets you pull the 'bell past all the hard parts of the press and straight to the lockout.

^this

I have students who can barely snatch what they can press because they don't have the technique down. I can easily snatch the 48 (and probably heavier, but I don't have anything heavier to play with) for reps but can only press the 36 on a good day when the moon is in the proper alignment. But I've spent many many years working on the snatch and I have terrible proportions for the press (at least that's what I tell myself, maybe I'm just weak...). I always do relatively poorly on both KB and barbell presses.

I view the snatch as much more skill based - that is once you have the basic strength to grip a bell and hold it overhead, you can get better at the snatch quicker by practicing the snatch technique than by just getting stronger. And the press is the opposite - once you have the basic technique, you just need to get stronger.

So I see no real ratio there, you can be strong and press a lot or you you can have the technique dialed and snatch a lot, or both, or neither

I have terrible proportions for the press (at least that's what I tell myself, maybe I'm just weak...). I always do relatively poorly on both KB and barbell presses.
I didn't even think of this, but I'm sure it comes into play. People with shorter arms are going to have better leverages for the press, while the snatch might favor people with longer arms, since they have a longer runway on which to accelerate the 'bell.

I'm not sure there is a useful ratio. The snatch is powered by the lower body and finished with the punch through of the arm, where as the press is a pure upper body grind, 2 different beasts. There maybe more of a ratio between the Tgu and the snatch, because if you can't hold it over head you won't snatch it and you should be able to tgu more than you press.

Guy Adini
Can you do a get-up with the 28kg?

I think that it is common that the size for training the press is the same as the size for training the snatch.

Last edited:
So for me i GU with 40kg, and snatch 32 for 5 before I could press it even once. At the moment the ratio would be press 32 for 3/ snatch 32 for 6ish. Gu hasn’t moved but I want a bigger press at the moment.

First looking at an average guy like me. At my current bw @83kg I can snatch the beast for reps and sets, tested yesterday my max press with a 42kg bell. I could press the beast in the good old days….when my weight was almost 100kg. As said before when one is proficient in the techniques on both lift and spent some time with them I would say it is almost natural, to snatch more than press.

Looking at the mighty Dmitry Klokov, elite weightlifter former world champion in the 105kg, who surely has a big max on both lifts with the bar:

@3:40 he lifts 196 kg, I think that is his competition best. With straps he lifted a good 10kg more.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom