all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Loaded carries for conditioning

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello,

We know that swings or snatches, done S&S style transfer pretty well to conditioning, especially running. For instance, heavy swings permit me to maintain a 10km run @10km/h without any issue.

Do you think loaded carries obey by the same rule (then transfer to running) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet'

I don't think so, but - I don't know. Just a note: I love all different kinds of carries, but they are way different from swings/snatches - where the magic doesn't happen only during the explosive swings/snatches, but the rest periods.

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
Thanks !

What if we incorporate rest periods during the carries, the same way we do with swings ?
I used this D. John's article as a base: Tip: Do the Farmer's Walk Challenge | T Nation

Regarding the weight, I currently use 36kg per arm, for a bodyweight of barely 59kg.

Kind regards,

Pet'

- what is the duration of the set? S&S swings e.g. around 16 secs; carries?
- what is the nature of the exercise? swings and snatches are ballistic drills; carries?
- what energy systems are involved?
- etc.

I see many, many key differences.

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
Yes I see your point !

Maybe this is a matter of "definition" then. In your opinion, what does D. John mean by 'conditioning' in this article ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
Yes I see your point !

Maybe this is a matter of "definition" then. In your opinion, what does D. John mean by 'conditioning' in this article ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' You have to ask Dan John. Notice that the article is about challenge - not daily training.

On the similar topic - rucking/hiking with medium heavy backpack (+ breathing through your nose only) is a great conditioning with imho excellent transfer to running and many other endeavors. Coupled with S&S or A+A snatches - gold.

Hello,

Your posts are also gold you know !

I think I'll try to build some blend of both to get a kind of compromise then :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Do you think loaded carries obey by the same rule (then transfer to running) ?
Light carries for longer distance would be like training boxing by punching with 10 lb dumbbells. For the very weak, perhaps it would help. Heavy carrying could be useful to build strength.

-S-

Hello,

Thanks you @Steve Freides !

Basically, I currently do heavy farmer carries (2 * 36kg for a 59kg bdw) as part of my general conditioning. Plus, it gives me some variety (otherwise I do heavy swings). I think I'll mix both of them, on alternate days. Indeed, I do not look for a training based on "pure cardio vascular endurance" or "pure strength". This is why, IMO variety is important for me.

Besides, carries are really natural to me (more than swings actually) and also transfer well to my daily life because I often have to carry light / moderately heavy things.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet', your approach sounds good to me. My own "carries", such as they are, consist of walking outdoors when the weather gets warmer with a loaded barbell on my back. I set up a pair of squat stands in my back yard for this purpose, using a bar I don't mind getting rusty, and bumper plates. When the weights aren't too heavy, I Steinborn Squat the bar into place. It's equal parts strength, cardio, and misery. :)

-S-

Hello,

@Steve Freides
I live in a flat so I come and go from a room to another. The fun thing is that I am obliged to "turn", go sideways, etc... I guess it works stability and balance as well. By reading your post, I see you train in your back yard. So I realize I live in the 4th floor. It could be fun to take advantage of this as well !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Swings and snatches are ballistic, carries are not. Carries build tension, then require you to maintain it. That time under tension is a different kind of conditioning than running, which is also ballistic. Carries have been a game changer for me on the MTB. They help me balance power and forces when descending, and stay tight and not leaking power when climbing. Even the grip work is beneficial for not getting forearm pump on descents.

Hello,

@Steve Freides
I live in a flat so I come and go from a room to another. The fun thing is that I am obliged to "turn", go sideways, etc... I guess it works stability and balance as well. By reading your post, I see you train in your back yard. So I realize I live in the 4th floor. It could be fun to take advantage of this as well !

Kind regards,

Pet'
I used to carry a 32 kg bell from my basement to the first floor and back. It’s all good.

-S-

I've taken kettlebells to the gym before. So I'd carry a 20kg one side and a 24kg on the other. The steps up and down from the basement... Doing that 10x in row would be the only training you'd need for that day.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom