all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Does someone has experience improving muscular endurance of amputees?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Shahaf Levin

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi everybody,
I have a physical therapist friend who work with an amputee with a prosthetic leg. She asked me if I have an idea of muscular endurance training more tailored towards such a specific population.

Since I value the knowledge and opinion of the members of this community I thought I might find some help here.

I told her that IMO, except of medical limitations, muscles are muscles and the general guidelines of strength-endurance work should hold. Furthermore, efficiency of movement should be the main consideration, as well as psychological factors. Of course I have zero case specific experience or medical knowledge so my advice should not be take to seriously, should be criticized, and tested carefully if used.

So, does anyone here has a specific experience working with amputees or peoples with other severe limb limitations? Are there some additional considerations I missed? Can someone reference a research paper (she need to present the case study)?

Thanks,
Shahaf

Muscles are muscles. This is kinda off-topic, but I think she can use this youtube channel for motivation etc.. purposes.

Bodyweight Muscle

Check that channel yourself. Good content and inspirational story anyway.

Last edited:
Yes muscles are muscles. I am not a physical therapist but I do have quite a bit of expedience training individuals with physical limitations. The fact that the person has had a leg amputation in no way changes the requirements for training their muscles, heart, or lungs. It might only preclude them from some specific work due to limitations.

I’ve seen people here that are quite fond of rowing work and I will say the concept 2 rower’s counterpart, the ski erg, is a phenomenal device for addressing lower body injuries/limitations. Not only can it be performed in a relatively static standing state, but it can be modified to be used in both a seated, and a tall kneeling posture, while still being tremendously effective. Some of the highest vo2 max readings of all time have come from cross country skiers.

Lastly, I’m not sure, as I don’t know the exact specifics of your friends amputation, but I would imagine, kettlebell swings would be feasible, and of course, considering where you are, I’m sure those would be highly encouraged

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom