all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettle bell thrusters (cross fit)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Colby

Level 2 Valued Member
anyone have any experience with kettle bell thrusters(front squat to push press). Thinking of adding them to swings program. Are they effective for strength and conditioning?

I have done them before in the past and they are great! Just ensure you sort of split the two movements up so you don’t look like you are having a seizure like I see every year while watching the games.

I have done them and yes they're very efficient for accomplishing work (i.e. getting a workout; metabolic conditioning), not the greatest for "training" (i.e. developing strength, power, and skill), which is why we don't see a lot of them in StrongFirst programs. But sure, they're legit and a good way to get leg explosiveness and pressing in the same motion. Probably more effective for conditioning than for strength.

The worst, and therefore the best, kettlebell exercise I've done is called a cluster: that it is a thruster preceded by the clean. There've ben ton of it in Ivan Denisov's programming. You will have to time your breathing, it should be rhythmic, inhale on chest expansion with no delays in-between the movements. So you go down as soon as the bells lend on your forearms in clean. Yous should re-clean every time. No standing still, no breath-holding, a constant flow. Very demanding. Give it a try.

I like Geoff Neupert's "version"...... He calls it the Front Squat + Push Press.

Do a front squat typically, stop in the rack, then do a standard push press, pausing overhead, bringing it back to the rack then repeating for desired reps.

I found Geoff's way to be safer as each movement is done independently and deliberately if that's the term.

I have great respect for cross fitters because of the tremendous efforts they put forth during their workouts. My concern with that type of training is that reps become more important than form.

The Thruster, or PushPress& Squat, or Squat&PushPress are really great

Probably more effective for conditioning than for strength.
I like them for strength when I do such kind of things. I like to go heavy with singles and ample of rest in an A+A method fashion, namely to repeat. This is good for getting decent volume with decent technique in. Half a year ago I did when I remember correctly sessions leading to an hour.

here is another a bit 'easier' version of the theme:

I like to use, as I like to use heavy weight also for the sake of bragging what I call my 'power rack' I rack the bells on the shoulders. Makes it easier to squat, and to propell the bell upwards. I am that weak, but strong enough to lock out double beast which I find pretty nice. At least I can't fake the double clean...

Are they effective for strength and conditioning?
Yes.

Last edited:

I did today a longer double thruster session for singles for an hour. My hands did not want to snatch a lot.

I experimented early spring for a few weeks with this kind of double work. I think they are great for going heavy for singles and doing repeats with them.

They get better with each rep as the nervous system amps up and decent form can be maintained til the end.

I did today a longer double thruster session for singles for an hour. My hands did not want to snatch a lot.

I experimented early spring for a few weeks with this kind of double work. I think they are great for going heavy for singles and doing repeats with them.

They get better with each rep as the nervous system amps up and decent form can be maintained til the end.

Nice...you are incredible strong no doubt

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom