all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Getting KB overhead without elbow flexion

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mcdisco

First Post
Is there a way to get a heavy bell overhead without passing through a 90 degree elbow bend?

My doctor has advised me to avoid exercises under load with repetitive elbow flexion. In both arms, certain elbow features including the ulnar nerve dislocate at a 90 degree bend. I can handle loaded carries on either side of 90 degrees (front rank, overhead, etc) but passing through the right angle repetitively and under load may lead to nerve damage. I have been successfully working around these limitations for about a year.

I learned TGUs and swings from a Strongfirst coach. I do 32kg swings without irritation, and can manage a 24kg TGU with the help of a spotter to place the bell in the extended arm. Without a spotter, however, pressing the bell up from a supine position irritates the nerve. If I could get a heavy bell overhead from a standing position without passing through 90 degrees, I can do backwards TGUs. (Turkish get-downs?) That skill would also open up more overhead carries into my home workouts.

Thanks in advance for your insights. I will clear any recommendations with my medical team before attempting them.

It's possible with a snatch, but I don't know if it will be safe for you.
If you go for the snatch, I think it's necessary to go slowly and to use a right progression (swing, high pull, work the insertion of the hand, etc.) with a sfg instructor so you will not hurt yourself.

Hang chain, rope or something similar from a pullup bar or from some kind of anker in the ceiling. Attach a hook to that rope/chain at exatly the height where your hand will be when you have the KB in the overhead lockout position.
Now you can leave it hanging there and get it in and out with a straight arm overhead.
Kind of like a DIY Kettlebell version of those Power Hooks...Gorilla-Sports-Power-Hooks-Chrom.jpg

@mcdisco, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

If you can master the technique, you might try the jerk, a movement in which the elbow does straighten but the bell moves up due to leg drive and not a pressing motion.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom