all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SFG Prep

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Davidlbn

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi all

I am planning to attend (& pass!) an SFG level 1 weekend in August. I’ve looked at most of the prep guides and think that the one @Anna C published here will work best for me.

I have a few questions. I’m a 57 year old male so my test bell for SFG will be 20kg, slightly more than the 16kg she tested with.

In order to adapt the program for my required test bell, should I simply start by adding 4kg to all the KB exercises described?

That mostly looks manageable to me. I’m currently practising S&S with a 32, but not at timed Simple standard yet. I can clean & press a 32 left and right and manage a 20 min Strength Aerobics session with a 24 reasonably comfortably. I’ve never really snatched so I’ll be visiting an SFG for some guidance and putting in some practice before the cert.

I don’t have access to a barbell for the deadlifts described in Anna’s prep guide. Would you have any suggestions to substitute for that?

Finally, there is a Flexible Steel and SFB weekend a month before the SFG. I’m quite keen to attend the Flexible Steel day, and since I’d have to fly in and organise accommodation, etc. it makes sense to do the SFB on the following 2 days. However my primary goal is the SFG. I don’t want to dilute that prep with training for the SFB and I think I’m a pretty long way from doing the required One Arm Pushup. On the other hand the opportunity to do an SFB is quite rare in South Africa. Any advice?

Thank you.

Hi all

I am planning to attend (& pass!) an SFG level 1 weekend in August. I’ve looked at most of the prep guides and think that the one @Anna C published here will work best for me.

Good Prep program, personally I used the one created by Brett Jones.

I have a few questions. I’m a 57 year old male so my test bell for SFG will be 20kg, slightly more than the 16kg she tested with.

In order to adapt the program for my required test bell, should I simply start by adding 4kg to all the KB exercises described?

If you can manage that that would be a great start. On the otherhand, the program is for 8 weeks, and you have a lot of 8 weeks before August. So you can start with a 16 and start the program again with a 20 kg.

That mostly looks manageable to me. I’m currently practising S&S with a 32, but not at timed Simple standard yet. I can clean & press a 32 left and right and manage a 20 min Strength Aerobics session with a 24 reasonably comfortably.

In my opinion clean and press with a 32 is more difficult then S&S Timed. I do S&S with 40 at the moment and can press the 32 with difficulty.

I don’t have access to a barbell for the deadlifts described in Anna’s prep guide. Would you have any suggestions to substitute for that?

Do you have enough kettlebells to substitute? Do a double bell deadlift or double bell front squat.

Finally, there is a Flexible Steel and SFB weekend a month before the SFG. I’m quite keen to attend the Flexible Steel day, and since I’d have to fly in and organise accommodation, etc. it makes sense to do the SFB on the following 2 days. However my primary goal is the SFG. I don’t want to dilute that prep with training for the SFB and I think I’m a pretty long way from doing the required One Arm Pushup. On the other hand the opportunity to do an SFB is quite rare in South Africa. Any advice?

Thank you.
I think you have an 90 day window to video yourself if you don't manage the skills. So you got a little time after the cert to train specifically for it. In the mean time, do some, low reps, Grease to Groove Pistols or one-arm push up's (scaled to your current level).
You can Grease The Groove one-arm push ups and pistols through the day, low volume.

Hi @Davidlbn

Glad to hear you're going to use the program! It has worked well for many people.

@Tjerr 's advice above looks good. In adapting the program, just use the heaviest bell you can competently do for each of the exercises. No harm in going heavier than the equivalent prescribed, as long as you can do it and are recovering. By the same token if you can't do as heavy as prescribed, then go lighter as needed.

I agree on SFB - if you have the opportunity, do it. It might be a slight distraction, but the tension drills will also help you in SFG prep. I think the window to pass is even longer for SFB, 6 months if I remember right. Generally half or so of the attendees make up the testing requirements later by video -- it's much more "expected" for SFB than it is for SFG, where you can still do it but it's really a lot better to pass during the weekend!

I personally like the idea @Tjerr stated, start with the lighter weight and cycle it again with a heavier weight. I am planning for the October SFG 1 in Philly and will implement this plan into my prep since I have plenty of time to prepare. For me, I think I am going to run Strong! starting in March and then begin SFG specific prep in the May/June time frame.

Best of luck for a strong cert weekend!

A lot of good advice here. I would like to suggest an additional consideration for you and your planning. Keep in mind that I am not a trainer as you consider my comments. The SFG certification is a rigorous weekend. It is extremely demanding and at 57, there is likely to be a few times that you will have to "dig pretty deep" into those physical and mental reserves that you have built up with your preparation. My point is quite simple, the accumulated fatigue that lurks below the surface can sneak up on you and have devastating results so be cautious about the training ahead of time, don't spread yourself to thin and be certain not to get injured along the way. If SFG is your main aspiration, don't let another goal be what derails you from success.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom