all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Total newbie - sore lats from swings, pls critique my lack of style!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LargePiece

Level 2 Valued Member
Greetings comrades,

In my quest to be Russian strongman I have obtained a 16kg kettlebell! Currently my weedy arms are barely strong enough to lift it but one day they will be like ox thighs!

My current attempt at swings has lead to somewhat sore lats (I'm pretty sure it's my lats, either side of my spine about half way down my back.) I can feel them tighten when I'm letting the kettlebell back down. I'm also not really feeling the goodness in my hips, I guess I'm not using them to power the whole thing. :(

I've been going back to the partial exercises that build up to the whole thing illustrated in Simple and Sinister but can't figure out where I'm going wrong.

Here's a link to my efforts:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

@LargePiece, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

A session with an SFG would be great for you to help you get off to a good start. Please try to find someone using the FIND AN INSTRUCTOR link on our web site.

-S-

My current attempt at swings has lead to somewhat sore lats (I'm pretty sure it's my lats, either side of my spine about half way down my back.) I can feel them tighten when I'm letting the kettlebell back down. I'm also not really feeling the goodness in my hips, I guess I'm not using them to power the whole thing. :(
Hi @LargePiece
Here are some resources to help you fix some of the technical issues with your swing:

1. The Setup
You currently squat down to setup for your swings
Screenshot_20200302-181018_Chrome.jpg
Try Brett Jones Lock and Rock from this article

And then try hinging back to pick up the bell (instead of squating)
There are some helpful tips in these articles:

2. The Hinge
Currently your shoulders are rolled forward and your neck is over extending during your swing. You are loosing the tension that will protect your joints from absorbing the force of the ballistic motion.
Screenshot_20200302-181023_Chrome.jpg
Here is an article about getting tight in the swing staying tight throughout the set

3. Timing
You are hinging too soon
Screenshot_20200302-181032_Chrome.jpg
You should be locked out strongly while the kettlebell descends. When it is about to hit you in the crotch you quickly hinge backwards.
Here is an article that has tips and a video on how to properly time the swing (about halfway down the article):

4. The lockout
Your shoulders don't look packed at the top of the swing, and it looks like you may be partly lifting the bell with your arms

(It will only let me attach 3 photos, but I'll send you a photo of this from your video if you want)

Here is an article on planking tightly at the top of the swing

Here is an article on the dead swing where you just practice one rep and a time so you can focus on perfecting each rep

Here is a video on the towel swing which with give you immediate feedback if you are using your arms to lift the bell

Best of luck to you @LargePiece !

Also, there is no shame in going to see an SFG like Steve recommended above. They can help you to safely learn the basics of the Swing so you don't have to try to work it out yourself.

(If you want me to take down the photos of your video, just let me know)

edit: re-watched video and deleted an incorrect observation

Last edited:
Thanks Kiacek. That breakdown is very useful - especially with the screenshot analysis - its very clear.

Welcome @LargePiece ! Good move to request feedback :)
@Kiacek basically said everything (and more!) that I would have said.

I believe that the main issue is the timing and lifting with the arms.

A swing consists of waiting in a strong plank, interrupted by a quick hinge, only to return as quickly as possible to a strong plank. Ideally, wou wait until the bell forces your body to yield. When you keep the arms close to the body (the forearms connected to your hip) you will transmit the power of the hinge directly to the arms. Therefore, you will not need to lift the arms actively.

The "Solid" article by Pavel Macek (posted above) and the video with the towel drill (also posted above) are both intended to teach you this kind of timing and the "spending more time in a strong plank" style of swing.

Hi @LargePiece
Here are some resources to help you fix some of the technical issues with your swing:

Hey thanks Kiacek! That's a totally epic list of expert observations and relevant resources. I didn't realise there was so much great stuff out there. I love trying to understand the specifics of what I'm trying to learn so really appreciate your time. I'm going to look up and instructor at some point for sure. :)

Hamish

Last edited:
A swing consists of waiting in a strong plank, interrupted by a quick hinge, only to return as quickly as possible to a strong plank. Ideally, wou wait until the bell forces your body to yield. When you keep the arms close to the body (the forearms connected to your hip) you will transmit the power of the hinge directly to the arms. Therefore, you will not need to lift the arms actively.
Awesome thanks Bauer! The idea of "a strong plank interrupted by a quick hinge" is cool. I think I can wrap my head around that idea while executing the swing.

Also, there is no shame in going to see an SFG like Steve recommended above. They can help you to safely learn the basics of the Swing so you don't have to try to work it out yourself.

Oh totally! 'm actually really enjoying the learning side of it. I've come into a couple of additional outdoor pursuits in recent years and the humility you pick up from new learning is priceless. Not to mention the fact that you sometimes have less expectations of your own performance when you're new at something. :):)

Thanks again.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom