all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed S&S Help

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JoeVarden

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi guys, I’ve been doing S&S for the last couple of weeks and I was wondering whether I should wait until I complete simple to incorporate push presses like on Viktor Pesta’s MMA routine.

I noticed that Pavel didn’t have Viktor doing push presses until he reached a 32kg get up.

What is everybody’s view on it?

Thanks!

I don't know what that particular push press program entails, but I would not hesitate to teach or recommend push presses to someone who cannot complete Simple or a 32kg GU.

Hi guys, I’ve been doing S&S for the last couple of weeks and I was wondering whether I should wait until I complete simple to incorporate push presses like on Viktor Pesta’s MMA routine.

I noticed that Pavel didn’t have Viktor doing push presses until he reached a 32kg get up.

What is everybody’s view on it?

Thanks!
I say go for it every few sessions. What's the worst that happens, you get a stronger and more stable shoulder?!? You'll get blasted by a few because you're not doing the program as written, meaning you aren't doing S&S. I got to be able to do all the swings for simple by not doing S&S, I did A&A training with the 32/36 for 20-30 rounds of five, only doing rounds of ten every now and then. There's another post from this week with a similar question based on the floor press, which I can see being of benefit as well for a stronger shoulder as well. Maybe do push presses one day, get ups the next few sessions and then floor presses for a session. Try it for a bit and see how things go.

I don't know what that particular push press program entails, but I would not hesitate to teach or recommend push presses to someone who cannot complete Simple or a 32kg GU.
I mean, I’ve done push presses plenty of times with barbells so it’s not an unfamiliar movement. The program rotated push presses and TGUs for example Monday & Thursday swings and presses Tuesday & Friday swings and tgu’s etc.

I say go for it every few sessions. What's the worst that happens, you get a stronger and more stable shoulder?!? You'll get blasted by a few because you're not doing the program as written, meaning you aren't doing S&S. I got to be able to do all the swings for simple by not doing S&S, I did A&A training with the 32/36 for 20-30 rounds of five, only doing rounds of ten every now and then. There's another post from this week with a similar question based on the floor press, which I can see being of benefit as well for a stronger shoulder as well. Maybe do push presses one day, get ups the next few sessions and then floor presses for a session. Try it for a bit and see how things go.
Sounds good! I wouldn’t usually ask but as I’m new to this whole kettlebell thing I thought I’d see what everyone’s thoughts were. Plus, like you said, I’ve seen a few people get touchy when someone doesn’t do the program as written

Sounds good! I wouldn’t usually ask but as I’m new to this whole kettlebell thing I thought I’d see what everyone’s thoughts were. Plus, like you said, I’ve seen a few people get touchy when someone doesn’t do the program as written
I understand why people can get touchy, I really do. However, there are other ways to get to where you want to go. Still do get ups, and much more often than any presses. But you can still do a press a couple times a week and be just fine in my opinion.

People get really touchy when someone comes along and says something like... "I do S&S but instead of doing 5 sets of 10 swings I do 3 sets of 20, and they aren't swings but KB squats, and instead of the TGU I do pull-ups, and you know... I just don't seem to be getting the results the book advertised..."

One way to avoid folks questioning how or why someone would modify a program, it is simpler to ask about the combination of exercises you are contemplating.

For example, ask “what do you think of doing swings and TGU one day and swings and presses on the alternating days”. It prevents some confusion and avoids the unneeded questions about modifying a written program. After all, if you are changing the program, you aren’t doing the program.

this reply is not directed at anyone in particular, just an observation of the forum for many years.

People get really touchy when someone comes along and says something like... "I do S&S but instead of doing 5 sets of 10 swings I do 3 sets of 20, and they aren't swings but KB squats, and instead of the TGU I do pull-ups, and you know... I just don't seem to be getting the results the book advertised..."
Hahaha! I can definitely see why someone would get a bit riled up at that. I didn’t mean to sound offensive by the way!

Joe and Shawn, good points. I completed Simple three years ago, without really doing Simple except for a couple heat checks on the swings. I like Q&D, but I switch the exercises around quite a bit At 56, I like to very the wear on my body, which for me means adjusting the exercises while still following the science and the research work that went into those two books.

One way to avoid folks questioning how or why someone would modify a program, it is simpler to ask about the combination of exercises you are contemplating.

For example, ask “what do you think of doing swings and TGU one day and swings and presses on the alternating days”. It prevents some confusion and avoids the unneeded questions about modifying a written program. After all, if you are changing the program, you aren’t doing the program.

this reply is not directed at anyone in particular, just an observation of the forum for many years.
Yep, I didn’t mean to come across as offensive or anything so my bad. Do you think that would be an effective way of implementing push presses? I’d say usually there would be no rush but my MMA gym looks to be opening up soon and I’m guessing I’ll be competing not long after so I want to just get in the best shape possible now.

I believe long cycle push presses are excellent for fighters and many other athletes.

They have a nice strike quality to them when used with full rest and if you add reps and decrease rest you can smoke your motor.

Last edited:
Swings and push presses would/will be great. Toss in some squats and you are pretty well covered.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom